• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

JollyDoc's Rise of the Runelords...Updated 12/22

JollyDoc

Explorer
Gah. It all happened so quickly! How did the players react to this massacre? What went wrong, other than lucky/unlucky rolls?

Man, I'm gonna miss Skud and Wesh...:.-(

It happened very fast. Once Skud went down, the others fell like dominoes. The reaction at the table was stunned shock. Black Tentacles was the killer in this scenario. It held the spellcasters in place, plus dealt damage, and hindered movement for those who were not grappled. It was payback for all those times Havoc used those damn things at will!!

And now, for the...SUNDAY NIGHT TEASER!

1) Decimated, the three surviving members of the Sandpoint Seven limp back to the two surviving Black Arrows. One of the rangers volunteers to go back to Turtleback Ferry for help while the deputies and Shalelu hunker down.

2) Vale makes it back to Turtleback Ferry with his tale of woe. Just his luck, there's a tent revival in town with a couple of overzealous priests more than willing to spread the Word to the heathen ogres!

3) The Sandpoint Three meet their new allies, and prepare to wring some vengeance from the surviving Kreegs...only to be bitterly disappointed.

4) The return trip to Turtleback Ferry is interrupted by a new crisis as flood waters threaten to drown the small town!

5) The townsfolk are in trouble, and the companions are tasked to rescue a boat full of small school children, which they do (almost) flawlessly.

6) Their pride in their accomplishment is short-lived as the mythic Storval Deep Monster appears in the middle of town. Will the tenure of the newbies be cut short?? It certainly appears to be a distinct possiblity...

7) But what caused the flood? Speculations abound that something is amiss at the ancient Thassilonian dam called Skull's Crossing, rumored to be occupied by a tribe of vicious trolls.

8) The company travels north once more to check out the dam. When they arrive, it's not trolls they first encounter, but Kreegs...lots of them! It's a battle royal atop the dam, in the midst of a torrential downpour. Heads will roll!

Last edited:

Schmoe

Adventurer
Awesome battle! I'm beginning to think that Dex has made a deal with the Devil. That's twice he's managed to escape from within an inch of his life. Go Dex! :)

WarEagleDex

First Post
I was sure I was going to die once I dropped to -7 hp, but Reapers fear saved the day for me. I honestly had no idea what kind of character I was going to create to take his place if he died. I think I would have ended up with another rogue with close to the exact same build except for a few tweaks to my secondary stats.

LordVyreth

First Post
So the Pathfinder version of Evard's isn't much different than the 3.x version? I'm a little surprised. I'm going over the beta rules I got at Gen Con right now, and it looked different at least based on a cursory examination. Of course, having been a player of the guy who wrote those rules, I can't say I'm surprised about lethal player deahts. :)

As for Lucrecia, that's the first noble lamia I've seen in 3rd edition so far! Do you know where they got the rules for her? And was anyone in the party less than pleased with the animated dead body thing? I don't know if Luther would've stood for it.

JollyDoc

Explorer
So the Pathfinder version of Evard's isn't much different than the 3.x version? I'm a little surprised. I'm going over the beta rules I got at Gen Con right now, and it looked different at least based on a cursory examination. Of course, having been a player of the guy who wrote those rules, I can't say I'm surprised about lethal player deahts. :)

As for Lucrecia, that's the first noble lamia I've seen in 3rd edition so far! Do you know where they got the rules for her? And was anyone in the party less than pleased with the animated dead body thing? I don't know if Luther would've stood for it.

The rules are a bit different, since they use the Pathfinder grapple rules, which incorporates Combat Maneuver Bonus. The problem was that the CMB of the tentacles was pretty high, and almost impossible for the weaker PC's to overcome.

Lamia matriarchs (not nobles...misprint on my part) are from a third party publisher....the name escapes me at the moment, but I have the book at home. I'll let you know later. Remember, Xanesha was also a lamia matriarch, and she toasted our heroes.

No one in that particular group had a problem with the animated corpse...but the new party makeup is distinctly different...

Aracase

Explorer
Lamia matriarchs (not nobles...misprint on my part) are from a third party publisher....the name escapes me at the moment, but I have the book at home. I'll let you know later. Remember, Xanesha was also a lamia matriarch, and she toasted our heroes.
Paizo reprinted their own version in Pathfinder Rise Of The Runelords, Chapter2, The Skinsaw Murders

WarEagleMage

First Post
was anyone in the party less than pleased with the animated dead body thing? I don't know if Luther would've stood for it.

We did discuss this around the table as players, and also had our PCs deal with the issue a bit in-game. Joachim can elaborate, but the big difference in Reaper's necromancy vs the usual stuff has to do with the Pathfinder deity he worships. Pharasma is a True Neutral goddess of death, healing, knowledge, repose, and water.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads