JollyDoc's Savage Tide-Updated 10/8!

Aholibamah

First Post
Holy COW...what an epic fight! Even for this thread! This team btw is a bunch of serious fighters--they roleplay like the tough team they are consistently, they own the night and take no names.

Also I have to say that when/if I run this path I will definitely pay some homage to your style in running it, you keep the pace up but make the descriptions vivid and in this case very disturbing.

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
Holy cow. I was inspired by you guys and am running my players through this AP (they just finished with the Hydra), but man--no way would they survive the fight you just described. One reason being: they have no dedicated Cleric, only a Dragon Shaman and a scroll-burning Warlock. And their Sorcerer doesn't have access to Fly or Improved Invisibility.

Seriously, what do you guys think of their chances? The party consists of:

Xeph Swordsage/Ninja (stealth/sneak attack/melee)
Human Fighter/Warblade (melee)
Human Ranger/Dragon Shaman (tank/melee)
Shoal Halfling Sorcerer (AoE)
Human Warlock (Ranged/Misc.)

Any tips?

Ika_Greybeard

First Post
Hammerhead said:
Out of curiosity, how was the adventure "supposed" to go down?

From what Jollydoc told us we where supposed to cause a Diversion(destroying the Cirilean Curtain) and sneak in avoiding all the ones around the Ziggurat. We ignored this advice and went straight to the Ziggurat :]

Aholibamah

First Post
Zaruthustran said:
Holy cow. I was inspired by you guys and am running my players through this AP (they just finished with the Hydra), but man--no way would they survive the fight you just described. One reason being: they have no dedicated Cleric, only a Dragon Shaman and a scroll-burning Warlock. And their Sorcerer doesn't have access to Fly or Improved Invisibility.

Seriously, what do you guys think of their chances? The party consists of:

Xeph Swordsage/Ninja (stealth/sneak attack/melee)
Human Fighter/Warblade (melee)
Human Ranger/Dragon Shaman (tank/melee)
Shoal Halfling Sorcerer (AoE)
Human Warlock (Ranged/Misc.)

Any tips?

They'll have to use more stealth I'd imagine--they also might need some allies. My pcs are very good at gathering allies and between the ranger and the cleric might gain some good hit point shields.

carborundum

Adventurer
I remember reading the adventure and getting to the bit where there were a few dozen (DOZEN) kopru, ten or so Dark Nagas and a LOT of behemoths and thinking "Good God! That's impossible at 12th or so level!" Proved wrong by you guys.

James Jacobs said in a thread on the Paizo boards about how a lot of encounters were made for cumulative attempts so - wow - kudos, guys!

Can't wait for the next story now! I only got five hours sleep on Sunday cos I woke up and went to get a drink of water, thought I'd check my mail, spotted the update ... printed it out, read it, read it again, made some tea and, well, never went back to bed!

You're destroying my health, man! And like all the best addictions, I love it.

JollyDoc

Explorer
Wow guys! Thanks! I appreciate all the feedback and the kudos, but as I've always said, I'm just the narrator. I just call'em as they happen. It's the players who make things happen. I just breathe some life into it afterwards. This has always been the thing I enjoy about gaming with these guys. They never fail to surprise me. Just when I think they're going to go along with the script, they totally blindside me, forcing me to think on the fly, which is great! I think if you asked all of my players, they'd say last week's battle was an adrenaline rush and the most fun we've had in awhile, and alot of that is because the outcome was never a forgone conclusion. There were several upset spouses on Monday morning because our usual stop time is around 10 pm. Well, that battle started at 9pm. When ten came and went, I offered on several occasions to stop play, leave the board set up and just resume it this past Sunday, but everyone said no. They wanted to play it out. Consequently, we didn't finish up till around midnight, and alot of these guys have to get up around 5 am. That's dedication! As I've read through what's to come in the AP, I can only imagine what my guys are going to do to the script as written. It should be a blast!

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
Really, JD, the descriptions of the city were killer. I copied-and-pasted into a word doc so I can bust them out when my players eventually reach this point in the Path. :)

Richard Rawen

First Post
Joachim said:
. . . (I think being beaten into submission by our wives has made us accustomed to this brand of passivity...It's like, "I don't care what you do. Just don't make me go back home." ;) ).

Whenever you think about screwing over your fellow PC's, just remember the Golden Rule of D&D: "What goes around comes around."

That's hilarious, all but one of my gamers are young, except my Wife, and she's about as dedicated as any I've met, so that's all good. Yet I've lost one twenty yr old gamer (and his fiance) due to long sessions and another young fella has had to scoot early twice now so . . . I don't think age is near the factor as the attachment to the fairer sex... unless you're lucky like me and have a hard-core gamer Wife :)

Oh, and as to the last post, that was fantastic... loved the teamwork and the exchange between Daelric and Mandi seemed to set the tone, all or nothin... crazy, but a helluva fun read!

gfunk

First Post
Updated Table of Contents . . .

Great job against the Horde but can't say I am very surprised at the outcome. Our group is very, very good at teamwork, battlefield control, and prioritizing target selection. Excellent update.

Remove ads