JollyDoc's Savage Tide-Updated 10/8!

Aracase

Explorer
JollyDoc said:
Tower Cleaver becomes the first Legionnaire to kill a god!! And he lets everyone know about it.
It was noted during the game that when Tower Cleaver criticals, it's an "experience". Depending on which side of the axe determines which type of "experience" that's achieved. On TC's end it's kinda like the "Disney Experience™"--wonderful childhood enjoyment with just a hit of ecstasy--and for the recipient of the critical it's a chance for him to "experience" the afterlife.

Supar

First Post
Which brings the question of what TC should name his axe. Table discussion at the time was "The maker" for its ability to usher you to your maker I think "God send" was also a possible, and i think my favorite was the Tower cleaver experience.

Zurai

First Post
I am SO stealing "Godsend" for the name of some massive critical weapon in the future.

BTW, I can empathize with the experience of critting for mega-damage. I was running my players through the one of the Pathfinder modules Tuesday night and got a crit on one of them for 129 damage with a large-sized scythe :D The character had 48 hit points and was level 5. Just the bonus damage from strength and full-out power attack dropped her twice over.

It was glorious.

Best part was that the character didn't die, since I use a modified action point system that lets the party as a whole spend 3 APs to prevent a character death. Keeps combats tense without succumbing to the revolving door syndrome.

While those are all good names for such a device, would this really be what the creature Tower Cleaver would name his axe. In my opinion, it would either be more simple like "Slicer" or more boasting like "Mighty horned axe of whirling doom". Another simple one might be "Tower's Cleaver". :D

JollyDoc

Explorer
Zurai said:
I am SO stealing "Godsend" for the name of some massive critical weapon in the future.

BTW, I can empathize with the experience of critting for mega-damage. I was running my players through the one of the Pathfinder modules Tuesday night and got a crit on one of them for 129 damage with a large-sized scythe :D The character had 48 hit points and was level 5. Just the bonus damage from strength and full-out power attack dropped her twice over.

It was glorious.

Best part was that the character didn't die, since I use a modified action point system that lets the party as a whole spend 3 APs to prevent a character death. Keeps combats tense without succumbing to the revolving door syndrome.

Not to make you feel inadequate, but I believe the end talley of TC's crit was somewhere in the neighborhood of 215 points....ouch.

I feel your love for the scythe, though. When Joachim, Gfunk and I competed in the D&D Toughman at GenCon several years back, I played a half-ogre frenzied berserker with a large scythe (keen). In the opening round I charged this unfortunate fellow and landed a crit, dealing roughly 200 or so points. The guy's response? "Well...that...that kills me!"
Yeah! That was kinda the point!

Zurai

First Post
JollyDoc said:
Not to make you feel inadequate, but I believe the end talley of TC's crit was somewhere in the neighborhood of 215 points....ouch.

Oh no, not at all. I know that TC would top 129 without even breaking a sweat. That was my first scythe crit ever, though, and it was fun as hell.

JollyDoc

Explorer
Update on the Update

We are going to be taking a three to four week hiatus from our Savage Tide Game, beginning next Sunday (December 2). Tomorrow, I plan on the group concluding Serpents of Scuttlecove, and so I'm going to include that update with last weeks, but I'll be spacing out the posting a bit. Hang in there!

primemover003

First Post
Gah!!!! Well I'll be starting my Plane-STAP campaign Dec 1st so I'll update you on how my PC's dealt with a modified Turbo Olangru (original by Hierophantasm on Paizo).
[sblock]I basically dropped Power Attack and gave Olangru Fleet of Foot to make 90 degree turns during charges. I playtested him tonight using some rough estimates of the Fighters in the groups AC's and Attack numbers and TO dropped 161 pts of damage in 2 rounds (+surprise) while only taking 93 in return! And I was rolling well for the PC's landing a lucky crit with auto confirm thanks to a Sacred Scabbard on an AoO.

Turbo Olangru CR 11
Bar-lgura scout 5/fighter 1
CE Medium outsider (chaotic, evil, extraplanar, tanar’ri)
Initiative +7; Senses darkvision 60ft.; Listen +15, Spot +15
Languages: Abyssal, Celestial, Common, Draconic; telepathy 100 ft.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AC 29, touch 18, flat-footed 29; Dodge, Mobility, skirmish (+1 AC), Imp. Skirmish (+2 AC), uncanny dodge
HP: 127 (12 HD); DR 10/cold iron or good
Immune: electricity, poison
Resist: acid 10, cold 10, fire 10; SR 22
Fort: +15, Ref +16, Will +8; evasion
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Speed: 60 ft., climb 20 ft.; Run, Fleet of Foot; chronocharm of the horizon walker
Melee: 2 claws +18 (1d6+8) and bite +13 (1d6+4)
Base Atk: +10; Grp +18
Atk Options: Spring Attack, pounce, skirmish (+2d6), Improved Skirmish
Special Actions: abduction, summon tanar’ri
Combat Gear: chronocharm of the horizon walker (1/day, move ½ land speed as a swift action)
Spell-Like Abilities (CL 12th)
At will—darkness, cause fear (DC 14), dispel magic, greater teleport (DC 20), see invisibility, telekinesis (DC 18)
2/day—disguise self (DC 14), invisibility, major image (DC 16)
Abilities Str 26 Dex 23 Con 20 Int 13 Wis 12, Cha 16
SQ battle fortitude (+1), fast movement, trackless step, trapfinding
Feats: Dodge, Fleet of Foot, Improved Skirmish, Improved Toughness, Mobility, Run, Spring Attack
Skills: Balance +22, Climb +31, Hide +24, Intimidate +18, Jump +40, Listen +15, Move Silently +20, Spot +15, Tumble +22
Possessions: combat gear, bracers of armor +2, boots of striding and springing, cloak of resistance +1, ring of entropic deflection (if Olangru moves at least 10 feet, ranged attacks have a 20% miss chance against him; if he has an item that grants a bonus to speed [boots of striding and springing], the miss chance increases to 50%) , ring of protection +2

Abduction (Su): A bar-lgura can use greater teleport to transport other creatures. It can bring up to one Large or two Medium or smaller creatures with it each time it teleports. It can teleport unwilling targets as well, although an unwilling victim can attempt a DC 20 Will save to resist being transported. The DC is Charisma-based.

Battle Fortitude (Ex): At 2nd level, a scout gains a +1 competence bonus on Fortitude saves and initiative checks. A scout loses this ability when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load.

Pounce (Ex): If a bar-lgura charges a foe, it can make a full attack.

Skirmish (Ex): A 5th-level scout deals an extra 2d6 points of damage on all attacks and a +1 competence bonus to Armor Class during any round in which he moves at least 10 feet. The extra damage applies only to attacks taken during the scout’s turn, and only against living creatures that have a discernable anatomy. Undead, constructs, oozes, plants, incorporeal creatures, and creatures immune to extra damage from critical hits are not vulnerable to this additional damage. The scout must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot. Scouts can apply this extra damage to ranged attacks made while skirmishing, but only if the target is within 30 feet. A scout loses this ability when wearing medium or heavy armor and when carrying a medium or heavy load.

Fleet of Foot (Ex): When running or charging, you can make one direction change of up to 90 degrees.

Summon Tanar’ri (Sp): 1/day, a bar-lgura can attempt to summon another bar-lgura with a 35% chance of success. This is the equivalent of a 2nd-level spell (CL 12th).

Improved Skirmish (Ex): This feat allows Olangru the ability to deal +2d6 skirmish damage and gain an additional +2 competence bonus to AC when moving 20 or more feet in a round.

Skills: A bar-lgura gains a +4 racial bonus on Hide checks and a +10 racial bonus on Jump checks.[/sblock]
Our Resident Minotaur
[sblock=Horny]
Mephistopheles Blutkreiger (“Horny”)
Male Minotaur Fighter 2
Chaotic Good-n-Funky; Large Monstrous Humanoid
Init: +5; Senses: Darkvision 60’, Scent; Listen: +7, Spot: +7
Languages: Planar Common, Giant

AC: 34; Touch: 16; Flat-footed: 29 (+4 armor, +4 shield, +5 dex, +10 nat, +2 defl, -1 size)
95 HP (8 HD)
Immune to Maze Spells
Fort +11; Reflex +11; Will +7

Speed: 30 ft.; up to +20ft. for 1 round 1/d (Acrobat Boots)
Melee: Huge +1 Great sword +14/+9 (4d6+13/ 19-20) and
Gore +10 (1d8+4)
Base Attack: +8; Grapple: +20
Attack Options: Powerful Charge (Gore) + 17 (4d6+12)
Combat Gear: Sacred Scabbard (3/d Bless Weapon swift 10r), Potions CMW (2), CLW, Prot from Fire, Resist Electicity 10, Endure Elements

Abilities: STR 27; DEX 20; CON 20; INT 10; WIS 12; CHR 3
Special Qualities: Reach 10ft; never lost or flat-footed; scent
XP: 45,000
Feats: Track, Monkey Grip, Improved Natural Armor (x3), Improved Buckler Defense
Skills: Climb +7, Heal +5; Hide +3, Jump +7, Knowledge (Planes) +1, Listen +7, Move Silently +5, Search +6, Spot +7, Swim +8, Tumble +7
Possessions: Magic Items - Buckler +3, Ring of Protection +2, Studded Leather +2, Amulet of Natural Armor +2, Vest of Resistance +1, Gloves of Dexterity +2, Healing Belt, Anklet of Translocation, Sacred Scabbard, Sphere of Awakening, Acrobat Boots; Potions: Protection from Energy (Fire), Cure Moderate Wounds (2), Cure Light Wounds, Resist Energy (Electricity), Endure Elements; Equipment: backpack (large), winter blanket (large), Flint and Steel, Water skins (4 large),100 ft. of silk rope, masterwork potion belt
Money: 100 Platinum, 270 gold; 250gp ruby
Encumbrance: 154 lbs; Load: 692/1386/2080 lbs.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads