Journals of the Five: A Forgotten Realms Tale

Aust Meliamne

First Post
Vallia’s Journal
16th day of The Rotting, 1372DR

The following morning was beautiful, although I awoke with Misha’s words still ringing in my head. I was feeling lazy, and unusually tired, when I heard Kara’s voice in my head, requesting entrance to my room. Kara…it is strange how fond of him I have become….like an older brother….I cannot help but to affectionately call him that. He is my Kara. It amuses me that it could be mistaken for an elvish word, meaning beloved. He is beloved to me…..my friend.

I bade Kara to enter, not even bothering to rise from my bed, my hair still hanging loosely. He carried with him a rose, which I found odd. He handed it to me, saying he had brought it for me, and I was touched at his thoughtfulness. It seems as if he knows when something is troubling me. He came to speak of his dream, something that worries me greatly. It is unnatural to dream of these things night after night, and I worry that it is no dream at all.

I have tried to record his description as best I can here, that I might compare it to his dream in the future. The differences may be key in figuring out this conundrum.

“First, I'm just spinning. Everything is black, but I can see myself. Eventually, the spinning stops, then the walls of what looks to be a dungeon or something come into focus. I see Aliya....I.... see her... chained to a wall. She hangs limply in her restraints. I try as hard as I can to reach out to her…to go to her. I can't move a single muscle. I can't even call her name...Then a man entered the room.... and I woke up. He was in a cloak, but I didn't notice much else. The dream ended quickly."

I do not like the idea of this man. And if this is precognition, it does not bode well that he is able to hold Karanaj, a strong sorcerer in his own right. I hugged him, feeling helpless, not knowing how to help him. As always, he picked up on my mood, asking why I was so serious. I told him of the events and Misha’s comments from the previous night as I cried on his shoulder. He comforted me, which no one has ever done before, besides Misha.

He thinks Misha does not deserve me, but I hope he is wrong. I see something in Misha, something I know Kara doesn’t see. I did make sure that he understood that I believe he and Aliya deserve each other, no matter what anyone else says. He was still holding me when one of my attendants entered the room. Kara tried to release me, but I was feeling difficult, and I only hugged him tighter, which I am sure shocked the girl, and was spread to the entire village five seconds after she left. I do not care.

The girl brought news that Thamior had ridden out to meet a party from Evermeet, which did not worry me overmuch until she said that the Queen herself traveled with them. I dismissed the girl, and I am ashamed to say I began to shake. I loathe fear, but I knew there could only be one reason that she would be coming here……to see me married to Thamior.

I immediately called Misha in my mind, intent on fleeing. At first, he resisted my summons. We had been speaking mentally for some time. It appeared the story of Karanaj being in my room had spread already, and there was even speculation about Misha and I. He arrived, and I quickly realized my mistake.

He entered to find Kara holding me still, sitting on my bed. I had not told Kara that he was coming, and Kara was not best pleased to see him, and indeed, even threatened him. I assured Kara that I had called to him, and he relented. Misha appeared somewhat upset, which secretly pleased me.

I informed him we had to leave, that the Queen was en route, and that Thamior intended to see us wed. Misha ignored me, closing the door and advancing on Kara, who stood to meet him. I interposed myself between them quickly. They just argued over my head, Misha appearing to think that Kara desires me….the foolish man. Although, again, I was pleased by his anger, misplaced though it was.

I shoved them apart, calling them fools, boys who did nothing but shout at each other, and tried to make them understand. Misha stormed out, and we followed. Kara finally realized at this point what Misha had assumed, further evidence that he held no feelings of that sort towards me. He was being difficult, so I just grabbed him and threw him back into my room, pulling Kara after me, and slamming the door. I told him "Karanaj and I are friends, nothing more. He came to talk, he was upset about Aliya. You said something last night that hurt me, maybe without meaning to, and we comforted each other." Kara took issue with my insinuation that Misha didn’t mean to hurt me, but one glare and he grew silent.

By this time I was very angry. They were delaying our departure, and I was frantic to leave. I told Misha that I loved him, and only him, and the two of them came to an agreement to save this discussion of their differences for a later time. Kara left quickly, and Misha made a serious apology, kissing me very gently. I could have lost myself in that kiss, but I had not the time.

I pulled away, and began to pack my things, dressing quickly, as Misha left. When I was finally, ready, I ran out to find Kara and Misha in the hall. I asked them to find the others, and quickly. They returned shortly with the news that Gruush and Kay were nowhere to be found. I beckoned an attendant and learned just what kind of person Thamior was. He took Kay and Gruush with him, banking on the fact that I would not leave without them. Of course, he is right, I would not.

I could not help myself, I dismissed the girl and began to cry. It is such a neat trap, one I do not see a way out of. Dear, sweet Kara did not understand, and thought we should leave anyway. Thamior would never allow Gruush and Kay to leave alive then. Misha understood. I can see that he has a quick mind, and is quite capable of being devious if necessary. I made the decision to stay, and Kara excused himself. He watched as I made myself once again into the princess and as I turned from the mirror, I was struck with such love for him.

I went to him, and held him tightly, kissing him, even as I heard hoof beats outside, and knew that the caravan had arrived. I asked him to just hold me for a moment….tried to make it last forever. It’s very possible it could be the last time I’m in his arms. I pulled away, my heart breaking, and told him he should go. He pulled me back for one last kiss, which I savored before shoving him towards the door. He laughed, and said “For luck.” which pierced me. I will not live without him.

I finished my preparations, and left my room to find Misha waiting outside. We went to Kara’s room to fetch him, and there Thamior found us. Misha took the opportunity to taunt him, which I did not think was wise. Thamior informed me that my mother requested my presence, and I took a deep breath, before exiting quickly, allowing Thamior and the others to trail in my wake, a position Thamior did not appear to care for at all.

I reached the guards, demanding admittance, and Thamior appeared to find it amusing to have them stop Kara and Misha. I ordered him to let them pass, and he obeyed, reluctantly. We entered to find my mother already ensconced upon her throne. She looked beautiful, I will give her that. She is a mixture of Aliya and I, but I do have the same hair. She was surrounded by her advisers, whom she dismissed as we entered. She dismissed Thamior and her guards as well.

I could feel her staring at me, but I did not know what to say. My mother and I were never close, and I believe both she and Aliya resented the camaraderie my father and I had. I was lost after he died. She spoke finally, looking disdainfully at my companions, and asking scornfully of my human companions. She seemed surprised that I named them friends, although she did call Kara handsome.

Misha only made matters worse, saying he was but a hired sword, and Kara my friend. My mother has always had a trick of knowing truth, and she knew his lie for what it was. She informed me coldly that a Princess could have no friends, to which I retorted that I would have any friends I chose. As I said, we have never been close, and we seem to spend more time arguing than talking.

I demanded to know why she had brought me here, and she answered as I had feared….to have me marry Thamior. She spoke of Aliya, wishing that she was with us as well, and Kara was unable to keep his emotion off his face. Mother noticed, and questioned him. He lied, saying he was her friend, and Mother’s patience snapped as she said "Lie to me again, and Tharivol will have what's left when I am done with you.”

Kara finally admitted to loving Aliya. She asked his name, and looked shocked when he gave it. I realized that Mother had known all along. She must have spoken to Aliya, before…….She seemed quite bitter at this turn of events, and turned to Misha, asking his name as well. He called himself Burning Rose, and named Kara his leader, and I winced, realizing he had seen how effectively she had read Kara.

She watched him silently for a moment, and then stated that if there were a leader here, it would be him. She again lost her patience as he dissembled, and said "Your insolence will not go unpunished." For some reason, she blamed me, saying "Always you play games....." Of course, Misha decides this would be the perfect time to reveal that he speaks our native language, a skill I would have preferred he kept to himself.

Misha told her the truth about himself, the first wise thing I had seen him do. And he admitted that he loved me, which shocked me as much as my mother. She seemed distraught that both her daughters had chosen men other than elves, and quickly made sure that I knew that my marriage to Thamior was set for dusk. She refused to break her promise, to let me go. An heir to the throne had to be born, and I could see that she had made up her mind that Aliya was to have what she wanted….Karanaj. I could see the pain Misha felt, as tears filled my eyes.

I could not help but feel resentment. Always Aliya! I love her, and yet…..Mother said that she had spoken to Aliya many nights about Kara, and would not keep them apart. Misha was angry, but she told him outright "Vallia must marry Thamior."

At this time, I felt a burst of pain through my connection with Kara, and the Queen noticed at the same time. She called him ‘my son’, which bit deeply into me, thinking how it must hurt Misha to be rejected, even as Kara is accepted. My mother stopped me from trying to heal him, saying she recognized his ailment. It is no sickness at all…..Kara has dragon blood. It would appear that he is growing scales. I was not sure what to make of this development, and it appeared Kara did not either. The Queen stood, and comforted him, even as she bade me to leave, and make ready for my wedding.

Kara pleaded my case, but the Queen was adamant. The heir must be of pure elven blood. I left at this point, unable to bear hearing any more. I returned quickly to my room, and stared, not knowing what to do. Something inside me broke, and I screamed, snatching up things and throwing them, watching them shatter against the walls. The attendants came running, but I chased them away, and I fell, sobbing, onto my bed.

I apparently communicated my pain to Misha, because he asked if I was ok. I replied that I could not marry Thamior. He said there had to be a way around it, but I felt it was hopeless, and suddenly, I wanted nothing more than to be held by Misha once more. I asked him to come to me.

He came quickly, gathering me into his arms, He said he didn’t want to lose me, and I couldn’t stand to hear him say the words I knew he would say, and I cut him off with a kiss. He wanted to discuss options, and make plans, but all I could think of was how much I wanted to be with him, and as I tore at his clothes, I knew then and there, that that night, I would either be with Misha…. or I would be dead. I could accept no less.

Aust Meliamne

First Post
Misha’s Journal #6

17th Day of the Rotting

Where to begin, the end or the beginning? Sometimes I can’t tell the two apart; it seems life is like a circle, and for some strange reason the end tends to blur with the beginning. Selune has chosen a strange path for me, but who am I to fathom the ways of the gods, it is my place only to live. Life is a funny thing though, it can be much shorter then we ever plan it to be, but I may be getting ahead of myself, I should continue my account so that one may better understand my tale.

Well the next morning came upon swift wings; I was up early and decided to see the elven village in all of its glory. The villagers were less than friendly but understandable considering the circumstances, the men disappearing in the woods due to a strange unknown menace. It seems though that my infamy as one of the greatest mercs in all of Amn had preceded myself. Well not truly, but the villagers were aware of me and some had some incredible insight to my connection with Vallia. Elves, as I am finding, are very perceptive beings, a quality I find endearing. Vallia though seems to lack this quality at times, but I don’t hold that against her. Much.

I would have rested the day away if I had not heard Vallia’s voice in my mind. She wanted me to come to her for some reason and who am I to disagree with her highness. Sometimes I wonder just why I fell in love with that crazy elven woman, she can be more trouble then I ever could think love should be worth. But I love her regardless, much to my own aggravation at times. I returned to her room and knocked on the door and was quite surprised when I stepped inside.

Karanaj and Vallia were sharing an embrace, that bastard had finally made his move, on my woman. Well it seemed like that at the time. Karanaj and I had a tense standoff, but thankfully Vallia was able to clear up the misunderstanding. Though I do not understand what she means when she says she loves Karanaj as well. Though not in the same way as myself, he will warrant closer watch, I suspect. He is a bastard after all.

Karanaj excused himself and waited outside the room while I spoke with Vallia privately. It seems last night I hurt her with my words, not really sure how, or when but I apologized nonetheless. She can be very sensitive to some things I guess, not really sure, one of the things that frustrates me about her. I would not have long to tarry on my thoughts; Vallia’s mother, the Queen, was due to arrive any moment. I keep forgetting that our highness is really a Highness. Vallia seemed to be very worried about me; I guess her mother would not like me too much, not much of a surprise there. I am just a scruffy human after all.

Vallia was not content to stay idle though and we went to gather both Gruush and Kay. But it seemed that they had left earlier in the morning with the bastard Thamior, by Selune, I hate that elf. Vallia was not pleased with that, she felt he was holding them as a bargaining chip so she wouldn’t leave. He is bastard and I hate him, but I admire his intelligence and guile. He had Vallia right where he wanted her, and I hated him even more for that. The three of us decided to retreat to Vallia’s room to think of what step to take next, I wanted to run, it would have seemed so easy. To just run, and never be found, but Vallia, she has that sense of responsibility. To her people, something I may never understand, even though it seems to bring her so much pain and suffering.

I don’t understand her, I guess, but then again she is an elf and I am a human; there are plenty of things I guess I do not understand about her. I often wonder what it is that she actually loves about me; I am not rich, not all that important, and I can admit that I am not the most personable fellow. But I am the best damn merc this side of Amn. Though I seriously doubt that is the reason.

Anyway, I decided that for the time being, we should follow the ruse we had established and that some kind of plan would materialize in my mind. Sometimes I can be too optimistic, but I was hoping inspiration would come to me. Vallia was at stake and I had promised to protect her as best as I could. During my thoughts Vallia held me close as the Queen and her entourage arrived. The time was nigh it seemed, and yet I had still thought of nothing. I gave her a kiss for “Luck” and waited for Vallia outside, resuming my role as the faithful, yet somewhat incompetent mercenary. A stretch I am sure, but these are the things I do for Vallia, much to my own aggravation.

I can say though that I do enjoy annoying Thamior, he is so easy to prod. His disdain for humanity is worn clear on his face, though I think that disdain extends to all things outside of himself. He and I, well we settle our differences later… I am not sure if I am ready to speak of that yet though. By Selune I cannot fathom the path you have chosen for me, but it may save us yet.

Vallia led us into the Queen’s audience, who is a radiant creature of power, grace, and almost painful beauty. I can see where Vallia gets her looks. And to some extent Aliya as well though I have not met her, she is creature without visible flaws, yet there is a rift between her and Vallia I do not understand. Maybe it is an elven custom I do not know, but they do not get along well, if at all. The Queen quickly had the room cleared of all of her attendants, including the smug bastard Thamior; death is too good for that one. Much to his consternation, which was read easily on his face.

The Queen was pleasant in a halting superior manner befitting her station and place of power among her people; she questioned Vallia at length about her current choice of company. I tried to make myself beneath notice, but my mouth does not stay closed even when I wish it to. She moved her attention to Karanaj, after he visibly winced at the mention of Aliya. She was a perceptive one, though I did not expect any less of the Queen of the Elves. She broke Karanaj rather easily and he confessed his love for Aliya, a move, which saved his own hide, I suspect. In my own arrogance I felt that I could beat the Queen at her own game.

I am sad to say she saw through my words fairly quickly, and turned her anger upon Vallia. I was less then pleased and spoke to the Queen in her own tongue, which shocked her as much as I thought it would. The words came easily from me then, the truth as it were set me free:

“I am Misha Koldun... of Muraan... I am only a man... mortal... and short lived in time... But I have some thing that makes me more then a simple man... I am the man that loves your daughter Vallia... and she in turn me...”

The words still ring in my head, they haunt me, and I had never so declared such a statement as that in all of my short life. The words shook the Queen, once more and Vallia as well. But even with my words it was to no avail, Vallia was to be married to Thamior, the Elven nation demanded an elven heir. They would accept no less; pure elven blood, would sit on the throne, for that was their way.

Karanaj drew attention to himself at that moment as he groaned with pain; the Queen was intrigued and took a moment to look over him. It was her conclusion that Karanaj had the blood of a silver dragon inside of him; he had small silvery-scaled flecks on his chest. I was shocked; him related to a dragon, would wonders never cease. Though looking at myself, I can see that his changes are simply mundane when contrasted with my current condition. Though I am sure that the Queen would be pleased, though pleasing her has never been my intent. Only Vallia.

Vallia left the audience of the Queen, and I soon followed at her behest. She needed me and I her, I had not the heart to tell her I had not devised a plan outside of running. Which she would never do, but I kept trying, much to my aggravation she continued to distract me. But it was a deliciously enjoyable distraction, but I knew that time was growing short. Selune help me, I do not want to lose her.

-Misha “Burning Rose” Koldun

Aust Meliamne

First Post
Vallia’s Journal #6 (continued)
16th day of The Rotting, 1372DR

The interlude with Misha was all too short, and he rose soon thereafter, dressing quickly. I sighed, and rose as well, donning my fighter’s attire, as he asked of my plan. To tell the truth, I had no plan other than refusing to marry Thamior, but I knew we could not run as he suggested. As we finished dressing, I heard shouting outside, and left to investigate, Misha following.

My attendants were trying to prevent an elf from entering my house, and he was shouting that he must see me. I bade them to let him enter, and to my surprise, Gruush, Kay and Kara followed him in. The elf brought news, saying that he had found tracks of one of the scouts who had disappeared the day before. I told him to take us to the tracks, and one of the attendants timidly questioned “What about the wedding?” I replied it would have to wait, for the good of our people.

At that point, I noticed an arrow in his shoulder, and decided that he was in no condition to accompany us. I queried him for directions to the site, and turned him over to the healers. I was leaving as Thamior came in, almost knocking me down demanding to know what foolishness I was up to. He agreed to postpone the wedding until the following eve, which I could accept, thinking I may not even be alive by then.

I saw Thamior glare at Misha before leaving, something that troubled me more than a little, but I did not have time to consider it. I left, leading the others into the forest. I managed to humiliate myself by tripping on a root, making a lot of noise, for which Misha chose to taunt me. I was about to retort when I noticed broken branches at the side of the trail, as though someone had fled the trail at that point.

I stepped off the trail, as I heard someone crashing through the brush not far ahead. I emerged in a clearing, and spotted a kobold across the way, and shouted for it to stop. I held it at sword point as I waited for the others, who took an unusually long time catching up to me. Apparently they had taken me at my word, and stopped when I yelled. I would have laughed had the situation not been so serious. A kobold alone in the woods bothered me. It is well known that drow have moved into these woods, and kobolds are their slaves. I could not believe that one had wandered off alone, and that meant……

About that time I heard a voice from the bushes in front of me say “well, well” in elvish, and with a sinking feeling, I knew I was right. Kay headed into the woods to investigate, damn her, despite my orders to stop. She disappeared into the woods, reappearing shortly thereafter, her body flying out of the woods, to land at our feet. She was dead. Misha was yelling for people to get to cover, even as I was telling them to freeze, knowing that the drow would have the advantage in the dark woods. We had walked into an ambush, and standing our ground was our only option.

There was a rustling in the bushes, and my blood ran cold as 5 kobolds ringed the clearing, in addition to the one cowering in front of me, and two drow stepped from the forest directly in front of me. Misha was initially not impressed with the drow, but he quickly changed his mind over the course of the fight. In his over zealousness, he swung too hard, and his sword flew from his hand. I was worried for him then, but I could do nothing to help.

I quickly killed the drow I faced, as the kobolds rushed in. Three harried Gruush, who could not seem to hit them, as the remaining drow retreated into the woods. Gruush finally manages to kill one kobold, as Misha hurls daggers after the drow. His skill must not be what I thought, because he almost got me instead! Kara took out a kobold on Gruush, as Misha finally made himself useful, and killed one of the ones attacking me. I disemboweled the final kobold and turned to Gruush, intending to help him.

The drow reappeared, and I was surprised until I saw what followed….a drider! Misha engaged the drow, and was soon asking for help. Gruush was unable to kill his kobold, however, finally the kobold miscalculated, and impaled itself on its own spear. I told Misha mentally to grab the dead drow’s sword, which he did with surprising agility. Having no luck with the drow, Misha decided to come to my aid with the drider, and we made short work of it. Kara and Gruush were having no luck against the drow, however, seeing the drider fall, he retreated into the woods.

Misha took a moment to tell me we made a great team, which filled me with a warm fuzzy feeling, before drawing his bow and shooting after the fleeing drow. There was a cry, and then silence. Misha headed down the trail after it. I took the time while he was gone to search the dead drow, finding many items of interest. Only then did I notice that I was covered in blood.

Misha reappeared, carrying the dead drow over his shoulder. He never fails to amaze me. He dropped the drow to the ground, suddenly remembering Kay. He searched frantically for her, and I spotted her half buried under a kobold, and pushed it aside quickly. I knelt beside her, but it was too late. I stood back, letting Misha hold her, feeling his grief. I searched the other drow quickly, knowing we needed to be gone.

Misha wrapped Kay in a blanket, as I handed Gruush a ring, which Kara identified as a Ring of Protection. Misha wanted to leave immediately, but I convinced him to allow us to wait, to equip, to heal. I moved quickly from person to person, leaving myself for last, healing them as best I could. I handed out the things I had taken from the drow to the people I thought could use them….giving elven chain and a longsword to both Misha and Kara. Misha also received a Ring of Protection like Gruush’s. Misha and I each took a masterwork buckler, and I pocketed a few other items of interest as well.

I was exhausted from the healing, and was grateful to Kara when he helped me to my feet. I have to say he looked quite ridiculous in his armor, but amusement seemed out of place. We began our long trek back to the village, quiet and somber. We took with us the head of the drider, and the head of the drow, as proof of our deeds. I moved quietly, but the others sounded like a cacophony to my keen ears. We made our way down the trail slowly, and I froze as I heard chanting off to both sides of the trail. I saw Gruush and Kara fall, and I heard a voice in my mind, commanding that I sleep, and as I fell, I saw Misha hit the ground as well.

I awoke feeling rather uncomfortable, and groaned as what had happened returned to me, and I opened my eyes. We were surrounded, that much I could tell, at first glance I saw 5 spell casters, about 20 bugbears, some worgs, a carnivorous ape, and about 40 goblins. I have to admit, I wondered how in the seven hells we would get ourselves out of this.

As I tried to move, I realized that my hands were tied behind my back, and my leg shackled to both Gruush and Misha. Even worse, I had no equipment or weapons, not even my rings. They said little to us as they forced us to our feet and marched us to the northwest. However, to my horror, I saw five goblins loading our possessions on a wagon, and moving away from the others, going in the opposite direction. Misha resisted the march, for which he was beaten, but kept alive. At least we know they want us for something.

We marched for over an hour, and I was feeling pretty hopeless, when an arrow flew by, killing a goblin next to me. Our captors had apparently been betrayed, and I was pulled to the ground as the others dove. I was furious….the fools never know when to run. I shouted at them, struggling back to my feet, and we staggered away, still bound. We ran quickly, seeking whatever cover we could find so we would have a moment to remove our ropes, but we came upon a gully, which we would have to jump.

Most of us leaped it with ease, but Kara scrabbled at the edge, and fell back. Misha went over too, and I was sliding towards the opening, when Gruush locked his legs and held his position long enough for them to climb out. Thank Corellon for the half-orc. We ran on, but the others seemed to be intent on freeing us, and less intent on running, and our captors gained ground behind us.

The others finally stopped, despite my protests, and Gruush and Misha are able to free their hands. Looking up, we could see a bugbear about 100 feet away, followed by 2 goblins. Misha asked Kara to use his magic, forgetting his hands were tied. Gruush was able to free his ankle, and moved to engage the monsters, as we continued to struggle.

Misha frees Kara’s hands, and he looks towards the battle, ready to aid Gruush, as Misha turns his attention to me. He freed my hands, and I was quickly able to pull the chain from my leg….sometimes my strength surprises even me. Misha escaped his chains as well, as I tugged futilely at Kara’s. Giving up, I scrounged a tree branch club, and moved to help Misha, who had found a similar weapon.

We killed the monsters quickly, and after much pulling, managed to free Kara. We set off in pursuit of the goblins with our things. Kara used his magic to strengthen us, as we found the goblins trail. We wandered for two hours, as night fell, until we found the camp of the five goblins. Kara used magic to put them to sleep, and after we had recovered our belongings, Misha killed all but one, which I did not like at all.

Misha ordered Kara to bind the one remaining goblin, which Kara did. Misha mishandled the goblin, despite my protests, and it took a battle of wills to get him to leave the goblin to me. He seems to have misplaced his anger over Kay’s death onto this pitiful creature. I cast a zone of truth, and told the goblin I would release it if it told me what I wished to know. We conversed for a short time, and Gruush listened. Kara surprisingly moved to comfort Misha, and I asked him to keep him away from the goblin. I let him know mentally how unhappy I was with his actions. He was angry and defensive, and I decided to leave him alone. He hasn’t been the same since Kay died. And losing her body in the ambush…

We discovered that the goblins were slavers, seeking workers for a mine in the mountains, which they believed held great treasure. What that treasure was, the goblin did not know. He described the location of the mine as best he could. Realizing he had told me all he could, I nodded to Gruush, and we pulled the goblin into the woods. Misha tried to follow, but Kara restrained him. Gruush and I released the goblin, and as we turned to return to the camp, Gruush said that he did not like killing in cold blood either. Sometimes I think that half-orc is more human than most I know.

We returned to the camp, and took the goblins horses, riding hard for the village. During the ride, Misha and I had a discussion of his actions, and I think I wounded him deeply, although he was able to hurt me as well. He thinks that I do not understand mortality, and that I talk to him like a child. Maybe I don’t…and maybe I do. He acts so rashly, and I fear the impetuousness that got Kay killed will one day be his undoing, and I said as much. He asked why I fell in love with him, then, and I replied that that was a conversation for another time. If only I had known then…

We were stopped on our way into the village by the same tracker who had brought us the news of the trail. He led us to my mother, although Karanaj and Misha seemed to be eager to flaunt our success, despite my obvious reticence. I obtained the elf’s promise of silence, and continued into my mother’s room with the others. I commanded Misha to close the door, and brought forth the drow’s head. I have to admit, a part of me wanted to shock my mother, but she took it calmly.

I told her of the information we had gleaned, and ventured my opinion on one other matter. I think there is a traitor among the elves. The others were taken too easily, and the others concur. My mother accepted this information as well, and promised to send out a party to rescue the elves at the mine. During our discussion, I saw Misha slip out the door, and asked mentally where he was going. He replied shortly “To pray.” and I chose to let him go. He needed to be alone, I thought.

We left, and exchanged some pleasantries with the tracker, whose name is Nym. I was only half listening, thinking of Misha and the day’s events…and wondering about my wedding on the morrow. Gruush asked after Misha, and I tried to contact him again. Angrily, he replied, “I’m busy.” Kara tried at my behest, and began to run. He shouted back at us “We need to find him. He says ‘He dies tonight’”. We knew he could only be referring to Thamior. We finally spotted them on the rooftops, and as we climbed the ladder I heard Misha call my name mentally, very weakly. I screamed his name, and landed on the roof to see Thamior standing over his smoking body.

I flew into a rage. Thamior tried to reason with me, but I was beyond reason. Tears streaming down my face, I slashed at him, drawing blood. Karanaj and Gruush attacked as well, but were unable to harm him. I shouted for them to leave him….he was mine to kill…but they did not listen. Again, I drew blood, savoring the sight. He struck back at me then, but missed. With one last swipe, I took his head from his shoulders.

Karanaj grabbed me, but I could not stand to be touched. My sword fell from my nerveless fingers, and I felt as though I had died. I shoved Karanaj away, and shrieked at them to leave me. I could not stand it. I fell to my knees by Misha as they left, tears falling unheeded. I felt as though my heart had been ripped out, my throat was constricted painfully, I could not breathe. I gathered him into my arms, and I could not hold the pain inside any longer. I threw my head back and screamed long and loud, a scream without substance, the scream of an animal in pain.

I do not know how long I was there, cradling his body last night. I remember crying out to Corellon, asking why. There would be no wedding, for Thamior was dead by my own hand. But there was no Misha either, and I found that I did not wish to live without him. Had I poison close at hand then, I have no doubt they would have found me the next morning, still holding him. But I did not, and all I could do was weep.

Aust Meliamne

First Post
Words from the dead.... :D
Misha’s Journal #6
Continued…

17th Day of the Rotting 1372 DR

I had to take a moment to reflect on my journal for a moment, I had always intended for it to be a chronicle of my adventures, of my trials and travails in this life. But one never sees that their life could be so terribly brief, till the end has long passed. I am not the man I used to be, not on the surface, and in many ways under the surface. But I should explain from the beginning, so as to not jump to the end of the circle, without first starting at its beginning.

The pleasant afternoon was an interesting break from all of the problems that still hovered over us, like a dangling sword. But as with all things it had to end. Vallia seemed content to stay forever, but we had much to do and so little time to do it in. Before I had a chance to really concentrate on the events at hand I heard a ruckus outside; a wounded elf was approaching the manse. The guards, after a mighty scream from my better half, allowed the elf entry into the manse.

The elf, which I would come to know as Nym much later, had found traces of a scout named Talor in the woods, the trail leading away merely an hour old at best. Vallia was renewed with vigor, as Nym related the location to her. Now all we had to do was deal with Thamior and we would be off. Of course true to form, Thamior was less then pleased, and even attempted to stop us. But Vallia put him in his place, and had the wedding postponed till the morrow. One more night, maybe that would be enough time to figure a way out of this mess. Though in that briefest of moments, Thamior glanced at me in rage; he knew something, about Vallia and me. Sometimes hatred can be a beautiful thing, he was the source of our problems, and it was simple really how to solve them. Thamior had to die…

Vallia led us into the woods along the trail to seek out what hidden troubles preyed on the elves of this village. I have to admit that, for an elf, Vallia was less then silent, as we stalked through the forests. Thankfully Vallia’s keen senses heard something in the brush and she gave chase; we followed quickly until we heard her scream “Stop!” which brought us all to a halting stop. Vallia, though, was not talking to us, but to a kobold she was holding at bay with her blade. The party followed me into the small clearing just as I heard a voice in elven speak “well, well”; things were only going to get worse before they got any better.

Kay rushed into the brush despite my warnings against such move, I cursed at myself for not stopping her. The situation worsened as I heard her scream and then fly back into the clearing, lying still on her back. The trap was sprung, and five kobolds and two elves with ebon skin rushed us, the drow, as I have come to know them. I was overconfident, I know that now. At first I planned to take them with my bow, but they moved into melee. The elves were quicker off the mark, one rushed Karanaj and the other Vallia, both wielding fine long swords. They were clumsy fighters at best, I suspect, and missed their attacks. Gruush tried to use his crossbow to kill one of the kobolds but his shot went wide, as I moved into melee with the drow attacking Karanaj. My first slash barely penetrated his armor; on my second slash my sword slipped from my hands, skittering across the clearing. Karanaj was able to land magic missiles on the drow attacking him, piercing their natural resistance to magic. Vallia, bless her soul, was able to take the head of the drow attacking her in one mighty slash. The kobolds advanced on Vallia and Gruush, they cause Gruush some harm, but miss Vallia, her armor protecting her more so then her agility.

Karanaj took a step away from the attacking drow and fired magic missiles, a spell I know well and loathe, though not as much magical lightning, at the kobolds attacking Gruush. He did not take any down but he was able to harm them; they continued to attack Gruush as best they could. Gruush kicked one of the kobolds in the skull and sent the little thug flying lifeless. The drow turned to flee into the woods and I drew my daggers and flung them after it, once again my luck was less then stellar. One blade simply went wide while the other nearly caught Vallia in the back. I grimaced at my dismal luck as the battle raged onward. The kobolds continued their assault and slashed Vallia lightly, just as Karanaj impaled one of the kobolds on the end of his spear. Gruush tried to kick at the kobold but missed once more, as the kobold taunted him again. I drew two more daggers and advanced into melee with a kobold and stabbed it multiple times as I sent it screaming into the afterlife.

Just then the wounded drow returned with a horrid creature, half-spider and half drow, a macabre blend of evil and nastiness. Vallia named it as a drider, and yes, I was very afraid. The drow attacked me with his blade but I was able to twist out of the way. Vallia finished off another kobold, she is good with her blade, and I will give her that. Gruush attempted once more to kick the kobold, but it twisted out of the way, mocking him even more. It moved to stab Gruush but slipped and impaled itself on its half-spear but mocked him in death still spouting its final words, "At least you did not take my life... scum."

The drider advanced on Vallia wielding two blades and a venomous bite, but Vallia was able to keep the beast at bay. Karanaj pressed his assault against the drider, loosing magic missiles into it just as Gruush attempted to finish the wounded drow, failing miserably. I grimaced, seeing myself at a disadvantage with my daggers, and spotted the dead drow’s weapon. I rolled and then flipped to the side and landed by the drow and took his weapon from his dead hands. I then slashed the sword quickly at the drider, which I was closest to, and bit into it deeply with two savage slashes. The drider returned the favor as I dodged its bite but was slashed by its sword, I was less than pleased. But Vallia, seeing the opportunity, unleashed a powerful slash into the creature and gutted it where it stood. The wounded drow turned and fled into the woods. I quickly dropped my sword and took aim with my bow and fired two arrows. One hit its mark but it was enough as the drow screamed, then died. The bloody melee had ended. I went to gather the drow and smiled at my skill. I returned quickly and gathered my daggers and my sword, then set about to finding Kay.

Much to my horror, Kay was dead; the one person who had a sense of life in our party was now dead. Sure she was slower than rock, but she had her moments, and she was so endearing. I held her close; trying to hold back my tears, I wanted her to scream at me again, call me “Dark-boy”, anything besides silence. Vallia and Karanaj both were less then comforting, at least to me, I had lost a friend, and a traveling companion. She made me laugh despite herself. I wanted to scream, I wanted to take her place, she was a better person than I ever could be; she was a good soul. Why did she have to die, why her and not me, a man with a past as dark as night, it did not settle with me. And I became angry, at myself, at everything, at the world… The drow and their minions would pay; death was too good for them.

The rest of the party searched the dead and I mourned, I was not thinking clearly, even money meant little to me. I am tired of everyone around me that I get close to dying. I am so tired of this curse that I have, kill me and get it over with, before Vallia is taken away from me. Vallia coerced me to don the elven chain mail and take the elven sword, which is magical I presume and of fine quality. I also received a ring that Karanaj named a Ring of Protection. Oh, and I must say Karanaj mighty ridiculous in armor, never seen anyone place it on backwards before. Bastard.

We gathered what we could and began the journey back to the elven village; I carried Kay close to me in a wrapped blanket. I had not the heart to leave her, she deserved a proper burial, though I had not the knowledge of her patron, I decided I would honor her as a child of Selune. We traveled for some ways when we heard chanting. Karanaj and Gruush fell asleep and Vallia and myself soon followed. Things are never easy, never easy, I swear we flock to trouble like a moth to a flame.

We must have been asleep for some time, when I came to I had been stripped of my armor and weapons, and all of my worldly possessions. I was chained to both Vallia and Karanaj, while Gruush was chained to Vallia, by thick iron anklets connected to each leg by a heavy black chain. This was embarrassing to say the least. Goblins and bugbears and worse creatures surrounded us, they outnumbered us by a great amount. In my usual fashion I casually told our captives that I don’t listen to stupid goblins. The thrashing I received at their hands was less than pleasant but it did not break my spirit. The pain only served to fuel my growing rage and anger.

We were ushered forward some ways, as we watched a small band of goblins walk away with our worldly possessions. They would die later, I would make sure of it. We marched for some time before our captors, who had ambushed us, were themselves ambushed, allowing us a chance to escape. First we prudently took cover, and then we all stood and ran, following my lead, of course. We ran through the countryside towards a gully and tried to jump it, but Karanaj lost his footing and we all nearly tumbled in, if it were not for Gruush getting a firm hold of the edge. We pulled ourselves out and pressed on through the woods. We ducked into brush and began the work of freeing ourselves. Gruush was the first to get free just as a bugbear and two goblins came chasing after us. I was able to free myself, just as Gruush moved to engage the bugbear in combat. Vallia and myself used makeshift weapons and were able to beat the goblins into submission while Karanaj and Gruush finished the bugbear off. I took its morning star and we continued on to find our gear. Karanaj bolstered our strength with a Bull’s Strength spell, a mighty handy spell I must say.

It did not take us long to find the goblins with our gear, they had set up for camp and were going over our possessions with a curious eye. I smiled as Vallia commented about not shedding blood, I had Karanaj cast a sleep spell, and we advanced on the sleeping goblins. We were able to gather our gear and equip ourselves accordingly; I looked down at the goblins and knew what had to be done. I had Karanaj bind one of them while I slit the throats of the rest. It brought me little solace, but Kay would have her justice even in death. There was a dark place inside me that wanted them all dead, every last goblin. I watched Vallia try to reason with it, and I lost myself. I walked over and grabbed the stupid, ugly, horrid creature by its scraggly hair and threatened it with death. Frankly I did not care if it told the truth, its life by the very fact of being a goblin was forfeit. Vallia kept me from the brink, but I was not pleased, I know she let that horrid creature go, I just know it. She has not the heart for the dirty work that must be done at times.

I went to sit by myself, leaving Gruush and Vallia to see to the goblin, while I cried to myself. I have not cried since Ellyn, it is strange to feel this wash of emotion. I was doubly pained that I was unable to retrieve Kay’s body. I am sorry Kay, I truly am, I never got to tell you how much I appreciated your love for life, how much you made me smile with your antics, you were a part of this group, things will never be the same. Karanaj tried to comfort me; he is not the bastard I say he is. I have never seen him as a bastard honestly, he is a friend, one I am glad to call friend. I can see then that I was very angry, but mostly with myself, and not anything else. I said some things that may have hurt Vallia, I did not mean to; I was angry with myself, not her, but she was an easy target. I hate myself for that.

We returned to the elven village. I was in a daze for most of the way, wallowing in my pain, my self-pity. My grief was all that mattered. I do remember arriving in the village and being brought into the presence of the Queen, but I did not stay long. I excused myself and went to the rooftop to pray, I had much to atone for and much to speak with Selune about. I began with a soft prayer for Kay:

"Selune... watch over Kay's spirit as it leaves this world to the next... she was a good soul... better then me your humble child... give her a place under your light... keep her safe..."

I would have continued if I did not feel a second presence close to me. I whirled, standing, my hand on my blade, only to face Thamior. Lucky for him, my rage was still very close at hand, and it only grew as I watched him. He spoke to me as almost an equal, I was somewhat surprised, but he knew I was not as foolish as I portrayed myself to be. And he knew Vallia and I were in love and that we had been with each other. I could see he hated me for that, not out of love, but that I had touched his toy, his plaything. Our conversation was tense and neither wanted to give ground, Vallia was at stake for both of us. I told Thamior that if he laid a hand on Vallia I would cut his heart out, a pity I did not get a chance to hold true to my oath. He wanted to postpone my death, but I gave him no quarter, I was enraged, and attacked. I leapt into a vicious duel with Thamior, I slashed at him twice fairly quickly drawing blood across his chest, but he only stepped back smiling, and I knew then my mistake. He unleashed arcane lightning into my body, painful and hot. I advanced and waited for him to use more magic, my mind racing. Both Karanaj and Vallia wanted to know where I was, but I had not the time, I was fighting for my life. Thamior acted to cast magic and I slashed at him once more, but I did not disrupt his magic, the lightning coursed into me. I felt my soul burn, then growing darkness and Selune grew closer, I could hear her call to me. I uttered the word that came to my lips, though it came out as only a thought, “Vallia”. In that final moment, I died. I know that now. But little did I know the path Selune had chosen for me…

-Misha “Burning Rose” Koldun:D :D :D :D :D :D

Talindra

First Post
Vallia’s Journal
30th day of The Rotting, 1372 DR

It has been quite some time since I was last able to chronicle the events of my quest, and time slips away from me. Already the Feast of the Moon is upon us. Never had I intended to leave Aliya in the clutches of the Zhentarim for so long. But I get ahead of myself, as usual. I should begin again with that fateful night, the night that Thamior slew Misha.

I do not know how long I was there, cradling his body. I know now that the others had gone to search Thamior’s body, but at the time I did not even think of them. All that mattered was that Misha, my Misha, was dead. My tears fell until I felt drained; I had no more tears to cry. I felt empty inside, I railed against the gods, and I blamed myself. Before I even knew what I was doing, I fumbled at Misha’s belt, drawing a dagger. I played with the blade for some time, contemplating. I raised the dagger, intending to stab myself through the heart. I had no will to continue. I had lost everything that had mattered to me, and I did not care to live any longer. But a strange thing happened.

As I sat there, weeping, twin beams of light fell upon us, one white, the other a pure blue. The light seemed to solidify, the blue into a blue haired female planetar servant, the white into a golden-haired elf, armed for war. The two beings seemed surprised to see each other. The blue haired female said, "I do not see your Master's interest here." The elf replied, with a low growl "His interest lies with her” and he pointed at me. The blue haired one glanced at me, and nodded. "She concerns my Mistress as well. Very well...perhaps since our purpose is not divergent, we can work in harmony." The elf nodded, and they raised their hands, one standing at Misha’s head, the other at his feet. Their hands met, palm to palm above him. Light flared as they touched, and his body was bathed in brilliant light, obscured from view. The light began to fade, and the beings with it, as Misha’s body jerked, and he drew a heavy breath with a gasp. I fell back, feeling very weak suddenly, disbelieving as I watched Misha breathe slowly, and open his eyes.

Misha sat up, rubbing his eyes, and said “Good morning” of all things. At this moment, I realized that what I had thought to be a trick of the light was no such thing. Misha’s skin was a silvery hue and his hair a bright white. As he moved, I caught a glimpse of something I could not fathom, and I reached up a shaking to hand to his hair, feeling. I pushed his hair back to reveal his ear…an elven ear. I whispered “Corellon….” for I knew my god had played a role in this. I had recognized that golden elven warrior for his avatar, and it had frightened me. I have no wish for Misha to be a pawn of my god, and it would appear that his goddess Selune has taken an interest as well, for that blue-haired female could be none other than a Shard. Two avatars in the same place…I was greatly troubled.

Despite my distraction, Misha was prattling on, oblivious, and seemed quite surprised to hear that Thamior had killed him. I could tell he did not believe me, but before I could explain further, the others arrived, with Nym in tow. I do not know when I began to cry again, but as I looked up, I was surprised to note that I saw them through a veil of tears. I saw confusion on their faces, and as Misha stood, Gruush challenged him. Nym also aimed his bow in Misha’s direction. I could see Misha’s consternation and realized he had not noticed his odd appearance.

It took some time to convince Misha that he had died, and even longer to convince the others that he was Misha. In this time, Misha noticed his odd appearance, and I quickly related through the ring what had occurred, and who I believed the beings to be, leaving it to him to decide how much to tell the others. I told everyone we needed rest; that we should go. Misha thought we should see my Mother, but I knew there was little she could do. We had to be gone, before Thain heard of his son’s death. In my elation at Misha being alive, I forgot one small thing…Tharivol. I did manage to convince the others to return to the manse, to catch what sleep we could, and leave at dawn. Kara thought we should confide in my mother, but I told him Thain has too many followers; she cannot afford to accuse him without solid, irrefutable proof.

At the house, we managed to identify the objects Karanaj retrieved from Thamior, and a letter found among his possessions particularly disturbed me. It read:

T,
The timetable must be pushed up. We must have the girl now. Kill her companions.... make certain every last one of them is dead. The Lord is impatient. He does not look kindly on those that fail to serve his needs.
K

Misha at this point asked about the papers I had retrieved from Mantatlus, so long ago. I had hoped that the others had forgotten about those, but since they had not, I related to them that I had found two letters that I thought to be of particular significance and I fetched them. They read:

M,
The one that we discussed, the one who was a thorn before, must be removed. He comes too close, he knows too much. Get the girl, and make sure he does not leave Athkatlan alive.
V

M,
The plan is going well. Arrangements will be made to retrieve the item from your possession the night after the full moon. If you could arrange delivery of the girl at that time, you would be handsomely rewarded. Be cautious, if her companion is whom you say, he could be very dangerous.
K

The others still seemed to feel that the threat had passed, now that the traitor had been found, but I reminded them that Tharivol was still in the village. I am sure that if his brother was involved with the Zhentarim, Tharivol was in just as deep. Misha thinks we must kill Tharivol too, and I cannot say I disagree.

There was much conjecture regarding the letters, but I cannot venture a guess to whom they refer, although I do believe that the girl they refer to is I. I think that Thamior’s letter and one of Mantatlus’s are from the same person, which only makes me even more sure that the elves are in danger. We concurred that obviously the M is Mantatlus, but as for the others, we had very little speculation.

The others seem to think the girl is I as well, and Misha mentioned the prophecies again. Gruush seemed confused, and I realized that I had never confided in him, a situation I quickly remedied. As I spoke, Misha eloquently requested that Nym come with us; he knows too much for his own safety otherwise. He agreed to go, if that was my wish, and I assured him it was.

We turned our attention to Thamior’s other possessions, all well crafted. I had not seen such quality mithral in some time. I managed to convince Kara to take the armor, as Misha bounced happily about the room in magical boots. Gruush took a Ring of Protection and a brooch, which apparently absorbs magic missiles, a handy item indeed. Watching them, I felt such fondness for them all, especially Misha, of course.

Exhaustion crashed down on me like a weight, however, and I quickly excused myself, not wanting the others to see how weak I felt. I changed quickly, and was preparing to sleep when Misha entered, my strange new Misha, and proceeded to make sure the room was secure. Seeing him, I was struck again with how much I loved him. He is a part of me now, a part I could never live without. I felt tears rise again, and I rose and hugged him with all my strength. I will never forget how close I came to losing him.

He implored me to sleep and I could not resist. I was unconscious as soon as I lay down, and I am not sure how long I slept. I heard faintly the sounds of Misha imploring me to wake, but it was like fighting through thick water to move towards consciousness. I could barely move, barely speak. If anything, I was more tired than I had been, tiredness that penetrated me to my soul. I knew something was wrong, and I closed my eyes again, seeking communion with my god, seeking an answer to what ailed me. What I learned shocked me.

I was given to know that Corellon had interfered only because of me, that he would not have become involved if not in that instant I had decided to follow Misha in death. But to bind Misha strongly to this life, it was necessary to take a part of me, a part Misha now carries. Had I not been so strong, it would have killed me, something I could have accepted in return for Misha’s life. It is by this part of me that he is elven, with all the benefits and detriments of my race. But his life came at a price.

I may never recover the strength I had, and it will take me quite some time to even be able to function normally. I was warned that without rest, I would die, because I had very little strength to use. All of this I can accept, but rest I cannot. There is too much to be done.

I opened my eyes, and asked Misha to help me up, which he did. He asked to know what was wrong, and I was vague with him. I do not wish him to bear the burden of my decision, and I know that he would take it as his own. I dressed quickly, almost falling. Misha caught me, and helped me gently. Thankfully, we were almost finished when the door flew open, just as Kara had told me that he and the others were called before the queen. Looking to the door, I told him we would be there momentarily.

Tharivol entered, and I regarded him with something akin to fear. At this moment in time, I was not his equal, and I fear he knew it as well. Misha had not yet turned, still helping me to dress, and I could see the rage in Tharivol’s eyes as he spoke, saying, "So this is why my brother lies dead." Misha turned then, drawing his blade. Six elven warriors entered, as Tharivol said, "The queen requests the honor of your presence"

The warriors took my weapons, none too gently, and moved towards Misha. Misha threatened them with his blade and Tharivol told him to comply or die. He sheathed his sword, warning them to not touch him, but three of them held him, while the others stripped him of every weapon he carried. He was furious as three of the warriors shoved him out the door. They were not quick enough, however, and he saw Thamior grab me by the hair and shove me forward towards the door. I stumbled and almost fell, as I heard Misha scream a curse at him. I heard him say, "You harm her and I will kill you... each of you!" as they dragged us through the streets.

Tharivol shoved me, stumbling, through the doors, where I saw Misha standing in front of the queen, flanked by guards. He shoved me once more for good measure, sending me to the floor again. Nym moved to help as I heard Misha say "Yeah don't worry elf... I have a special blade just for you." Nym faced down Tharivol, as he was ordered to leave me be. Misha made a move towards Tharivol, but the warriors restrained him. I tried to calm the situation, even as the queen stood and shouted “SILENCE!”

She walked forward, towards Misha, and the guards forced him to his knees. I started, knowing what this meant, but I held my ground, waiting. Misha was his usual flippant self, and the queen said, "You do not appreciate your position, or you would not be so glib. Or do you deny killing Thamior?" I started at that, realizing what she was implying. To my surprise, Misha did not deny it, quite the opposite; he told her he did indeed kill him. I started forward at this, but Thamior grabbed me again by the hair, pulling me back. If I were stronger, and had my sword…

Misha took all the blame, and I could see from the queen’s frown she knew he was lying. She told him he lied, and asked him again for the truth. When he lied again, I saw her grow angry, and she slapped him hard. I understood what he did not…. she was trying to save his life.

Kara asked mentally if we should give her the letter, but things have gone too far for that. Better that we keep that to ourselves for now. Tharivol muttered to himself behind me "What does she play at? Of course he killed my brother. For this wench here." as he shook me. He underestimates me…I can use that.

Karanaj moved to steady me, as I yanked myself from Tharivol’s grasp, moving forward again. My mother was poised to strike Misha again, as I cried “STOP!” with as much force as I could muster. Nym came up beside me, and I let myself lean on him as I said, “I killed Thamior.” My mother seemed stricken, and moved back, sitting heavily on her throne. Chaos ensued, Misha imploring me not to do this, and Thamior denying it hotly, saying I had not the skill to murder his brother.

As the room quieted, I ordered the guards to release Misha, and they did so after a glance at the queen. I could barely stand, as Tharivol ducked around Gruush, drawing his dagger and moving towards me, asking permission, I knew, to execute me. Gruush, Kara, Misha and Nym moved to intercept him, forming a barrier between us. Tharivol continued moving, and Gruush grabbed him. Tharivol tried to stab him, and the guards moved in to separate them all.

I ignored them all, too tired and weak to care much. I asked my mother if she would pass judgment on me. I called Misha forward as my defense, telling her to look at him, at how he had changed. I told her that Thamior had killed him in ambush, and that I had meted out justice, as is my right as a princess of the royal household. My mother denied it was possible for Misha to live, to be changed in such a way, and I saw that I had to tell the truth. I told her of Corellon’s interference, and my sacrifice so that Misha might live. Misha, understandably, was shocked at this revelation.

My mother was quiet for a time, and then said, “If that is true, then you are free to go.” Misha found this hard to believe, but she looked at him and said, “It is her right to dispense justice.” Tharivol exploded in rage at this, moving forward again, screaming "My queen! They murdered my brother! I found them together this morning.... they are lovers! It was planned. When his ambush did not go well, the girl leaped in." Amidst the shouting, Misha, Gruush, Kara, and Nym formed a tight group around me, and I must admit my heart warmed to hear the half-orc say, "You fight one Tharivol, you fight all."

Tharivol looked around, realizing his chances were slim. "My father will hear of this treachery." He turned and left, a good many of the guards following him. At his departure, I could keep up my charade no longer, and I felt myself sink to the floor as blackness surrounded me. I fought it off as best I could, hearing faint voices arguing over my safety. I could hear that my mother wished me to stay with her, and Misha insisted I go. I felt Kara lift me and cradle me close, as I finally lost consciousness altogether.

I awoke to movement, the motion of a wagon. I sat up slowly, still feeling weak and tired. Misha was chipper, and happy to see me awake. He told me my mother was not happy to see me go, which surprised me a little. He went on to say that he had told her we would be married, and he even called her Mother! He never ceases to amaze and amuse me, and it still surprises me every day to discover just how much I love him.

I spoke mentally with Karanaj, who filled me in on what had happened while I was unconscious. I thanked him for carrying me, but started quickly as I saw a large shadow pass overhead. It was birds, many birds, and I looked around nervously, asking where my weapons were. Misha pointed them out to me, and I retrieved them, climbing onto the seat next to Kara. I could barely lift my arms to raise my sword, but I refused to admit it. Kara roused Gruush and as I looked back upon our trail, the others saw three large creatures block our paths….owlbears.

Nym and Misha dismounted, as the owlbears came at us. Misha slashed at one of them, drawing blood as Nym and Gruush fired, both missing. Two of the owlbears engaged Misha, as one moved towards the wagon. The first owlbear missed him, but the second caught Misha off guard, wounding him badly. In my wisdom, I leaped from the wagon in the path of the remaining owlbear, stumbling and almost dropping my sword. Kara fired some magic missiles at the owlbear bearing down on me, and leaped in its path. Misha took care of one of the owlbears, and tumbled out of the other one’s reach, landing on the wagon, clutching his wound. I heard him say in my mind “Healing…please.” and I knew he had to be hurt badly.

Nym fired some arrows into the owlbear Misha retreated from as Gruush moved to engage it. The owlbear in front of Kara slashed with its claws, wounding him badly as well. I moved to Misha, laying my hands on him and chanting. I watched his wounds close, and turned to Kara, just as he hit the owlbear with another salvo of magic missiles. Misha tried to help with the owlbear from the wagon, but missed with his slashes and lost his balance, falling off the wagon, right behind the owlbear.

Nym fired as Gruush attacked, and one arrow hit the owlbear, enraging it, even as the other almost caught Gruush, causing him to miss with his attack. The owlbear swung wildly, missing everything. Misha however, was not so lucky, as the other owlbear turned and took a nice big bite of him. I swung my sword at the owlbear weakly, but was unable to hit it. Kara hit it with his spell once more as Misha leapt to his feet, slashing it, and then flipping backwards, landing 30 feet away.

The others missed their attacks, but I finally got lucky, and nearly gutted the owlbear facing Kara. Kara launched one final spell, and the owlbear was thrown backward, smoking. Misha moved to help Gruush, slashing the owlbear viciously, cutting it almost in half. I cleaned my sword shakily and sheathed it, realizing the others were hurt pretty badly. Kara fell to his knees, as I reached him, calling upon what strength I had, healing him. I moved quickly to Gruush, realizing my strength was fading fast, and I laid my hands on him as well, giving as much as I could. I tried to rise, to go to Misha, but I found myself falling instead…. to a much deeper blackness than before, and in that moment, I thought that I was dying.

I awoke much later, again feeling the sway of the wagon. Kara and Misha both informed me that we neared a village. Kara implored me to rest, but I would not listen. He helped me up, as I requested, but as I looked around, Misha galloped off into the village, despite my protests. I told them I knew the village and I directed them to Aliya’s house. Kara eased me back down on the wagon bed, and I looked up at him, admitting what I did not wish to, saying "I must rest, Kara.... days, not hours." He understands, I think, better than anyone.

I heard shouts, and Misha’s voice, and I sat up again, knowing that once again, trouble has followed us. Kara implored me to sit, to rest, saying I was in no condition to be arguing. But I knew this village, I knew why they disliked us, and I knew what they had done to Aliya. The leader said something to Misha about running an elven witch out of town after she made the children sick. Misha bade Gruush continue on to the house, even as I heard the leader of the men comment on Misha being injured. I knew then that if I did not do something, he could be hurt, or worse.

I leaped from the wagon, falling in the street, but regained my feet unsteadily, moving towards Misha and the men. Misha ordered me back to the wagon, but I ignored him as I moved towards the leader, a man I knew as Korbol. Kara supported me, as the three of us faced him. My anger gave me strength as I spoke to him icily, saying, "This witch, did she not stay with you, three summers or more... Did she not heal your people, save your wife in childbirth? Do you forget so easily Korbol? She saved your people time and time again. And you turned on her. You blamed her for the children, though she tried as hard as the rest of you. Did they cease to die when she left? Did you accomplish anything by making her leave? Other than deny yourself what aid she could have given?"

I remembered as I spoke what Aliya had related to me. I had visited this village almost 30 years ago, when I was much younger, traveling with my father. He had wanted me to understand other cultures, other ways of life. We had remained here for several months, living in the house that Aliya had used many years later. I had used the name Elena, and my father had befriended the village healer, a woman named Kani. I had played often with a young boy, named Korbol. He fancied himself in love with me, and often claimed he would marry me one day. I simply smiled, and patted him on the head, but I always carried a special place in my heart for him.

When I had heard of a plague in this area almost 10 years ago, I had asked Aliya to go to them, since I could not, and care for the people I had grown to love. She had went, as I asked, She had stayed three years, caring for them, even saving Korbol’s wife in childbirth. But that third summer everything changed. The children began to sicken, one by one. Aliya could not help them, and the people began to look for the cause of the sickness. Unfortunately, Aliya was different and an outsider, and their accusing eyes soon turned to her. She ignored their insults, and continued her work; until one night armed men arrived at her home, intent on casting out the ‘witch’. To my chagrin, Korbol was the leader of this group. She did not resist, and agreed to leave, with much sadness in her heart. She never returned, and until now, neither had I.

I was red and shaking by the time I finished screaming at Korbol. I was not prepared for what he said next: "Is that you...Elena?" I had not thought he would recognize me, it had been so long ago, and he had been so young. I nodded, my anger spent, and pitched forward into his arms. I struggled to draw breath before I passed out.

Many days have passed that I have slept. Korbol has stayed with me. Kani, an old woman now, aided in my recovery, I knew her so well, once. Although I have not regained a full measure of my strength, I am strong enough, and we shall set out for the citadel in a few days. I can only pray that it is not too late for Aliya…and not too soon for me. I cannot let them down when they need me most.

Tokiwong

First Post
Another Journal by the man, the myth, the legend... Misha :D

Misha’s Journal #7

18th Day of the Rotting, 1372 DR

I never liked the idea of having a destiny; I like to be in control of my life. I do not relish the idea that I am not in control of events around me. I like to think I carve my own path, that I am the architect of my life. I am Misha “Burning Rose” Koldun; or at least I was Misha. Well, I am still Misha, but I don’t recognize me at all. Outside of my green eyes, I am not the man I was before my death.

My appearance, well, at least to me, is odd. My skin has turned a silvery hue, and my wild, short, dirty brown hair has been replaced with stark white, silky to the touch hair that extends to my waist. My build has become slightly leaner; some of my clothes do not fit as well as they used to. My ears have elongated and become pointy, and my features more chiseled, accentuating my elven appearance. Yes, by Selune, I am not sure why, but I have returned from the grave as an elf. As I told Karanaj in a mental communication, “Fate is not without a sense of humor.”

When I returned from death, I must admit I did not realize I had even been dead. It felt like awakening from a pleasant dream. I don’t remember much, only a slight tinge of sadness in a place of peace and happiness. I am not sure if I was at my final reward or not, I cannot recall much, and frankly the less I recall the better I think I will feel. I do recall seeing Ellyn and Kay, they were both happy, though that tinge of sadness lingered on. I do not know if we spoke or not, or if one even speaks in death. The visions fade from my mind quickly as the days pass. My respite in the afterlife was brief, for I soon found myself back in this world.

I found myself taking my first breath anew, looking at the stars. Vallia was there, and I felt as if I was waking from a pleasant dream. Vallia was in tears, and I did not understand why; she seemed enamored with my new appearance, though at the time I had not noticed the changes. She did not say much, and I had not the sense to realize that maybe something was not quite right; though waking from the dead, I guess anyone would be a little disoriented, even the best damn merc this side of Amn, or Mistledale for that matter.

Gruush and Karanaj arrived, followed by the elf I knew only as Nym. Gruush immediately took a defensive stance; he assumed, in a way correctly, that I was a stranger, and possibly capable of harm to Vallia. I admire his tenacity. Nym followed suit, pointing his bow at me, no respect for the newly raised, that is to be sure. Karanaj recognized me for who I was, due in no small part to the damned rings we wear, but it took some convincing to assuage Gruush and Nym. It was about that time that I realized my appearance had changed, and that I had died.

It is a strange thing to realize that you have died, that for a moment in time, you did not exist, and that your journey in this world had ended. What legacy did I have to leave behind? Nothing, it seemed, outside of my love for Vallia. I have nothing that ties me to this world. That will change, I will make sure of that. Misha “Burning Rose” Koldun will matter.

It was decided that we should move our discussion to a less public location, which also allowed us to divide up the goodies we had taken from Thamior’s body. I received a nifty pair of boots, Boots of Striding and Springing. I like them very much, thank you. Speaking of Thamior, he was involved in some messy business, and he was the traitor that Vallia suspected within the elven ranks. I had no doubts; the man was a bastard of the worst kind. He had carried a letter on his person from his employer, the mysterious K, who instructed Thamior to have us killed and then take Vallia, for what design I do not know. The letter that Thamior carried brought to mind the letters we had taken from Mantatulus, and I asked Vallia to show those as well. The letters spoke of a plan to capture Vallia, as best as I could figure it, and the enigmatic “K” once again appeared on these letters. I was troubled and wanted to delve deeper, but we were lacking in information. Maybe the citadel Vallia speaks so fondly of will bring us more answers, though fighting the Zhentarim on their turf will be difficult, to say the least. But I am Burning Rose, despite being a pansy arse elf; I still have a reputation to maintain.

Vallia spoke to me mentally and described the events of my resurrection, or reincarnation, not sure which is the proper term. Celestial beings came down and showered me in light, one an avatar of Corellon and the other a servant of Selune. I have not the knowledge to know why the two would work together, but if they brought me from the dead, then my destiny must be great indeed. I still don’t like being the pawn of gods, but there are worse options than this, the Shadow Thieves, being one of them. It still surprises me that, for some reason, they brought me back; there must be better people than myself. But I digress, I should move on. The party retired to sleep. I watched over Vallia; she was a target, and I did not relish the thought of losing her.

She rested reluctantly; she wanted to say so much to me, and I to her, but that was not the time. She needed her rest, and she still needs it. My own feelings I must place on hold, my concern is for the group now, their safety and well being come before my own. I find that odd, I would have never really put myself on the line for others, but I am growing to have a strong bond with these individuals, I genuinely like them all. Vallia especially, but that is another story altogether. Maybe it is the responsibility of leadership, which has been thrust upon me; I know I have changed in more than just my appearance. I only hope I can continue to keep us on the path that will lead us to victory, and not into destruction.

Sleep, or whatever the elves call it, was interesting; a few hours of meditation, and I was good as new. There are definite advantages to this new form. Elves have it pretty good, I must say, my vision is so much better, my senses more keen. I can see now why Vallia has been able to notice things long before me. Sometimes she amazes me. Sometimes. The morning came, as it always does. I spoke with Karanaj to rouse him and bade him to get Gruush; we were going to leave before dawn, to escape any retribution Tharivol or the Queen would take against us. Vallia, though, would not awaken; at first I thought her to be simply tired and lazy, she is not long for mornings. But she seemed more than just lazy; she was drained, as if something had stolen a part of her. I was not happy and did not understand what was going on. I helped her up and got her ready for travel as best as I could, all the while beside myself with worry. I sent a message to Karanaj, to see if he had met up with Nym, and I was surprised to learn that he was in the presence of the Queen. That was not the way the plan was supposed to go.

Before I could react, Tharivol and his lackeys, elven guards, stormed into the room. They grabbed Vallia and disarmed her, while I kept them at bay with my blade. I did not want to have them harm Vallia, so I sheathed my blade and peace tied it. The elves grabbed me and disarmed me accordingly; I swore I would kill them all. And I still plan to, one day, Tharivol will join his brother in hell, mark my words, Selune. They dragged us roughly into the presence of the Queen, Tharivol being especially rough with my beloved Vallia. Karanaj, Gruush, and Nym were waiting for us in the company of the Queen. I was angry and made quite the spectacle, before the Queen silenced the room with her force of personality and noble character. She did not appreciate my banter and slapped me rather hard. I was charged with killing Thamior; my mind raced, I knew the truth of the matter but one thought of Vallia and my companions, and I knew the choice I had to make for all of our survival.

I looked into the Queen’s eyes and spoke that I did kill Thamior. I knew she did not believe me, but that fool Tharivol would. He wanted my blood, he would have it, I suppose, but the rest would be spared, I hope, a small price to pay for their safety. I don’t remember when I became this noble; I hope it is only a passing phase. The Queen scowled; she knew as well as I that I was lying, but her hand was forced, justice had to be done, as I pointed out to her. It would have been perfect, but Vallia interjected on my behalf. Vallia revealed the truth of the matter, and had me freed. The Queen was shocked; I did not much care, and I was angry and relieved at the same time. The truth was the best option, much to my surprise, though Tharivol was not pleased with the outcome and tried to execute Vallia himself. He was foiled by both Gruush and myself, and eventually stormed out of the room with a sizeable compliment of the guard with him.

We turned our attention to Vallia, who had fallen unconscious, after revealing not only the truth about Thamior’s death but the price she paid to raise me back from the dead. I carried a piece of Vallia inside of me; I guess it almost killed her doing it. I love her for that, but I would never want her to risk her life for me like that. It is my place to defend her, not the other way around. She has made my life so difficult, almost to the point of impossible, and sadly I wouldn’t want it any other way. As I told Gruush, it is never a dull moment with us. The Queen did not want us to leave, well, not Vallia anyways, and even had her remaining guard surround us. It was natural, though; she does not trust me, hell, I wouldn’t trust me either, but I knew that Vallia wanted to go. Vallia’s destiny was elsewhere, she had a task that she would see to the end, and I was not about to let her mother deny her that. I told the Queen that Vallia needed us as much, if not more so, than she needed her, but I also would not let the woman that would one day be my wife come to harm. Well, not too much harm, anyways. The Queen relented and said to me, “Do not disappoint me,” to which I replied, “Of course.” There was precious little else I could say, though I did call her Mother. The Queen was not pleased, I can only guess, at my remark, I love annoying her so. I had Gruush and Karanaj place Vallia on our wagon, while Nym and myself took to horses; it felt good to be in the saddle. We left the elven village and continued towards Mistledale, our quota of chaos left in our wake. Never a dull moment, and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Vallia rested, thankfully, and I was able to focus on keeping my wits, and use my elven senses to stay alert. Nym was welcome company, a bit silent, though much of his world came crumbling down in the past few days. I can only imagine the disillusionment he feels. I remember a similar feeling after leaving the Shadow Thieves, and losing Ellyn. Hours passed as we continued down the road; for the most part we had survived, but not without scars. I had been changed, perhaps forever; Kay was dead and I could not honor her in a proper way; Karanaj was changing into something more than human; Gruush was suffering with the loss of his master at the hands of Mantatalus, and my dearest Vallia, she seemed as if she was dying. I can only suspect that sharing her life force with me has weakened her greatly. I can only pray that she survives. In many ways I would be a shattered man without her. I did not have long to linger in my thoughts, as the hours passed. Vallia returned to consciousness, just as a flock of birds flew overhead.

The birds were fleeing something, as I scanned the tree line I spotted what scared them so. Three owl-bears lumbered out onto the trail, gruesome and strange looking creatures. Nym and I both dismounted; I have never been comfortable with mounted combat. Nym took out his bow and fired rapid shots at the creatures as I moved to engage them in melee; the boots were quite helpful in that aspect. I was able to quickly down one of the owl-bears, though one of them landed a vicious blow on me before I was able to retreat back to the wagon. Vallia healed me as Gruush and Nym tangled with the beast that had dealt me a grievous wound. I tried to help Karanaj and Vallia, but the wagon was not as stable as I would have thought and I ended up sprawling on the dirt behind the beast. The creature took advantage of my predicament and mauled me. I sprung to my feet quickly and slashed at the beast quickly before springing away in a back flip. Karanaj finished the beast off with Vallia’s assistance and I moved to flank the beast fighting Gruush and severed its spine, the battle was over as quickly as it had begun.

Vallia attempted to heal everyone, but her strength was failing, and once again she fell into unconsciousness; as Gruush said, she is “pushing herself too hard.” I did not like seeing Vallia so weak but thankfully Karanaj was there to watch over her while I continued to keep the group together and get us to safety. Putting my feelings aside for the greater good of the group is something I am not too familiar with, but something I have grown accustomed to. We continued on and began to near a village. I still have not gotten the name of it, but it is a pleasant place, despite the animosity they feel to elves and half-orcs and any other non-human. Vallia’s strength returned slightly and she awoke to see us nearing the village. She recognized the village, Aliya kept a house here, just as I decided to move down towards the village for a closer look. She was not happy with my choice, as usual. I infuriate her, I know, but I can’t help it. It is who I am. Karanaj, as well, wanted me to wait, but I am not one to sit idly by and listen when I can experience for myself. I am glad that I did, I was able to learn that our reception here would be less then pleasant.

The people were xenophobic and seemed to attribute problems that had happened in the past to an elven witch they had run out of town some time ago. It was easy enough to put two and two together that Aliya was the elven witch they had run out of town. Ignorance runs deep in humanity; sadly, I know the feeling; I might have done the same thing at one time, if I had not known Ellyn. Being an elf, I can see things that I had not seen before, though I often forget that I am an elf, it is strange. I might have come to blows with the men if an old woman had not intervened. She was pleasant and a joy to talk to, but she warned me that I should not stay for long. Sadly that was not an option I could entertain.

I could not stay long; I heard a commotion, it seemed my friends had arrived. Not even ten minutes into the village and we had already started a ruckus. I am not sure if it is possible for us to keep a low profile. Selune help us, a moment’s rest would be pleasant. Men had crowded around the wagon and were heckling Gruush, who was thankfully being non-violent and controlled. I tried to intervene, but my presence made matters worse, I cannot deny that I wanted to show these men a thing or two. My left hand danced on the edge of my blade’s pommel ever so slightly. Before I lost all of my control, Vallia leapt out of the back of the wagon and confronted the leader of the mob, a man named Korbol. Someone she knew from her past, someone she knew quite well, as a matter of fact. She spoke very plainly to him, as Karanaj assisted her; she was still too weak to stand on her own. She spoke strong words to Korbol and struck a chord in him. He called her Elena, an alias I can only presume to protect her true identity. When she finished, she collapsed into his arms; Korbol held her in shock. I was more than a little intrigued at where this would go. He suddenly lifted her up and sprinted for Aliya’s household; we followed as best as we could and found him inside the house with Vallia laying on the bed and Korbol holding her hand weeping. He demanded to know what we had done to her, the fool, I could have asked him the same thing about Aliya. The old woman arrived shortly after and began to look over Vallia. She was not pleased, but said that Vallia needed rest, and I could agree wholeheartedly; thankfully, we could rest for a few days. I had much to plan and think about, we still have the Zhentarim to think of. I am not sure if Vallia will be ready for that; if not, then we must go without her, but one way or another Karanaj will have his Aliya, as well as Vallia reunited with her sister.

The task ahead is great and I am not sure how we will fare, but I have faith that our purpose is noble. We are the Five, or the Four, or whatever, and we must not falter. If the task has been put to me to guard Vallia, then I will do it with the utmost of my ability, for Burning Rose is a man of his word. As long as I draw breath my blade will defend Vallia, and all of my companions. I am Misha Koldun, I am an elf, and this is my bond.

-Misha “Burning Rose” Koldun

Talindra

First Post
Re: Journals of the Five

Kael of the Blackrose said:
*Bump*

We want more!!:D

Ask and ye shall receive.....now if I could just get the rest of these slackers to do some work :D

Vallia’s Journal
The Feast of the Moon, 1372 DR

This morning was beautiful, clear and sunny, and would have been perfect were it not for the cold wind whipping through the village, reminding us all that winter is almost upon us. I fear the winter, for I am worried that should we not rescue Aliya soon, we will soon not be able to for some time to come.

I have always loved the Feast of the Moon, and I have fond memories of my father telling fanciful stories to crowds of children here in this very village. When I am here, everywhere I look, I see him. It makes me sad, but it also makes me happy, for this is what the Feast of the Moon is all about, to remember those who are gone, and to keep them alive in our hearts.

I had resolved when I awoke this morning to forget my cares, and to enjoy this holiday as best I could, for tomorrow we leave for the Zhentarim citadel, and I fear that soon there will be little cause for joy and laughter. Korbol has agreed to lead us to the cliff upon which it rests, though I believe this to be more out of guilt than from a genuine willingness to help. After countless days of unconsciousness, I awoke to find him next to my bed, and the others told me that he had been there every day. He looked troubled, and clearly wished to talk about what I had said, but I forestalled him, saying that I was disappointed in him, disappointed that the help that I had sent because I could not come had been so sorely mistreated. He appeared chastised and remorseful, and asked if she could return to the village, that he might make amends.

I looked at him a long time, gauging how much I should tell him. Finally, I told him that the woman had been my twin sister, and that the Zhentarim was even now holding her captive. He appeared fearful, and asked if I meant to save her, to which I merely nodded. He tried to frighten me with tales of men disappearing, to discourage me from my course of action, but once he realized that I would not be deterred, he reluctantly agreed to guide us. I was hesitant to accept, but I do not think he will be in any real danger, and perhaps it will assuage his guilt over his actions.

It took longer than I liked to regain my strength, although without Kani’s help it would have taken much longer. Finally I feel strong enough to make the journey, and it was agreed that we would leave the day after the Feast of the Moon.

But, getting back to the events of the day, I rose, dressing quickly, eager to take this last opportunity to enjoy myself before setting out. I sought the others, and found them outside, where it appeared that Misha, Kara and Nym were engaged in something of a friendly archery competition, and I noticed Gruush watching. Misha has been standoffish of late, and I am never quite sure where I stand with him, except when we are alone. He seems so much more serious than he used to be, and I have to admit that I yearn for the old Misha. I am sure that his mood stems from his death, and perhaps that part of me that he carries has made him this way. At odd moments, I even wonder if I carry a part of him, for I must admit I have not felt this lighthearted in years, in spite of our troubles.

I began to inquire as to what everyone had planned for the day. I myself was very intrigued about the giant beetle races to be held in a nearby town. I had heard many stories of the Ki’o, as the beetles are called, and I was anxious to see one for myself. Everyone else agreed to go, but before I could ask Misha he entered the house. I called him telepathically, and he said that I had not asked him to go, to which I retorted that he had not given me the chance. He seems so touchy, and I am not sure how to handle him anymore. He agreed to go, and emerged from the house dressed for battle, which the others seemed to find odd for a festival. I saw his point however, and I donned my armor underneath my cloak, and secured my sword on my back, leaving my hair free to cover it. We mounted our horses and made the short trip to Ghiaranthor, which was a small village, with a large swath of land surrounding it in a circle, devoid of brush and any other obstacles. Obviously, this must the racetrack.

I made certain that I warned the others of the customs of this town. They do not use money, but rather expect everyone to work as needed. In return, anything you wish is free. However, at the festival, there are many outsiders who come to watch the races, and gambling is rampant. We had scarcely dismounted before Misha disappeared, saying only that he was going to look around. I was not pleased, but I said nothing. I was determined to enjoy myself.... little did I know.

Kara, Nym, Gruush and I wandered the village, enjoying the sights and sounds. And the smells! I had forgotten how dearly I love feasts! We made our way to the stables to get a look at the Ki’o, and I nearly jumped out of my skin, as I rounded a corner and came face to face with one. They are interesting creatures, and I am glad that I had the opportunity to see them, although it will be a long time before I care to see them again. But I get ahead of myself again.

As I turned from the stable, two girls, identical down to their dimples, approached Kara and Nym. They were pretty, blonde haired and blue eyed, and appeared to be about sixteen or seventeen. They were very forward, introducing themselves as Koren and Kalina. Koren seemed very taken with Karanaj, and he seemed unsure how to respond. I told him mentally to enjoy himself. I am sure Aliya would not mind, and I worry for him. He smiles too little these days.

Seeing the others with a partner brought out something mischievous in me, and before I knew what I was doing, I took Gruush’s arm, laughing. The girls dragged Nym and Kara over to a booth, which was giving out Tripsy, an alcoholic beverage that is a specialty in this town. Gruush and I followed. I was feeling happy and carefree...I should have known it would not last.

As I turned from the booth, Misha appeared out of the crowd, coming up behind me with a hug and kissing me on the cheek. He informed us that he had gotten us a job, as he casually draped an arm over my shoulders. I shrugged him off; he would get in the way if I needed to draw my sword. I was furious with him, and had half a mind to tell him what he could do with his ‘job’ but I restrained myself, waiting to hear what he had gotten us into this time. It seems that the local bookkeepers, two brothers, had received more bets on the races than they had anticipated. One of them, Rhet Flanson, had hired us as protection. The job did not seem too difficult, and my anger cooled a little as we approached the betting table. I noticed that Karanaj did not follow us, and he soon disappeared with the girl. I did not mind, thankful that perhaps at least one of us would have an enjoyable day.

The first race began, and I forgot myself in my excitement. I watched open-mouthed as the beetles raced by, so quickly that their riders were almost a blur. It was amazing to see, although I think riding one is an experience I can do without. The second race was uneventful, but by the third race, I began to notice some rumblings in the crowd, and glanced at Rhet Flanson, seeing him frowning. It appears that a man named Vajj, a local crimelord whom Misha met during his jaunt through the city, had won his bet on every race thus far. This seemed like incredible luck to me, and to Misha as well, who began to bet as Vajj did on each race.

The crowd grew more and more restless as Vajj won the next two races as well, some openly glaring at him. I watched him closely, even as I conversed with Misha mentally; he was trying to convince me he was going to donate his hard-earned winnings to the church. Well, at least he said he loved me; I never get tired of hearing that. There was a brief pause as it was announced that one of the riders for the sixth race had taken ill, and that a rider from the seventh race was replacing him. Vajj did not seem worried, although the crowd stared at him even more as the race began, and the Ki’o from the seventh race stumbled and fell, obviously drunk. There began to be whispers of cheating, and fixing the race. Misha, Nym and I headed over towards Vajj, as Gruush circled around behind.

Four large men, obviously bodyguards, accompanied Vajj. Our discussion did not go well. Vajj denied cheating or fixing the race in any way, and in his foolishness even tried to charm me. Misha restrained himself, much to my surprise, and as the sixth race began, Vajj headed over to Rhet Flanson to claim his winnings thus far. We followed, as did the bodyguards.

Rhet refused to pay him, accusing him openly of cheating, and Vajj threatened him, motioning his bodyguards forward. I sighed, pulling the sword off my back, and stood between them. Misha and Nym stood with me, and I caught a glimpse of Gruush in the crowd, moving towards us. Misha mentally said something about a kiss for luck, and I grabbed him and kissed him hard before I could stop myself. Vajj slipped back into the crowd and it did not take us long to subdue the bodyguards, although one escaped our grasp. We moved through the crowd, searching for Vajj as the seventh race got underway. We found him just as the riders rounded the final turn, but we were not quick enough.

Vajj appeared to be enraged, and leapt onto the racetrack into the path of the oncoming Ki’o. The beetles scattered, veering off into the crowd, trampling some. Screams filled the air, as Misha managed to catch Vajj. I helped as best I could, trying to keep others from the path of the rampaging beetles. Finally, the beetles were calmed, and the villagers ringed Misha and Vajj. Misha had lost all semblance of restraint at this point, and seemed determined to beat a confession out of Vajj. I intervened yet again, imploring him to let the villagers settle their own disputes. He acquiesced, but landed a parting punch to the stomach, for me, or so he says. That man frustrates me so; I think those green eyes are very appropriate. But it is that same passion that I love, so I should not complain too much, I suppose.

The villagers moved forward, as the riders pushed their way through the crowd. One of the Ki’o handlers shoved a young boy, named Maeris, down next to Vajj. The story quickly unfolded. Vajj had threatened all the racers to coerce them into allowing his choice to win the race. Maeris had agreed to do as Vajj had ordered, then had gotten all the Ki’o in his race except his drunk, to ensure his victory, in order to impress Koren, it would appear. Vajj had seen Maeris winning, and had become so angered that he interrupted the race. The villagers were not pleased, but they ruled wisely, I thought. Maeris was sentenced to shoveling Ki’o manure for a year, while all of Vajj’s possessions were confiscated, and he himself was exiled from the town.

I was relieved and happy to see justice done, but my heart sank as these villagers turned to us. I knew well that they were a peaceful people, and I knew just as well what was coming. They asked us to leave. To give credit where credit is due, not one of my companions made a complaint. We returned to our horses, Kalina and Koren trailing us. They asked if they could return to Ashabenford with us, and I saw no harm in it. I could use some help from some women; I seem to be woefully outnumbered. There were protests from the others, but I ignored them.

We returned to the house, where Koren, Kalina and I changed our clothes for dresses, although I still secured my sword upon my back underneath my hair. Koren pulled Karanaj into the dancing, and Kalina was with Nym. Seeing Misha nowhere in sight, I tried to dance with Gruush, but he was having none of it. Laughing, I gave up, and danced away into the crowd. It did not take me long to attract several young men, and I cannot deny that I enjoyed the attention. I was chatting amiably with them when I heard a man’s voice behind me. I started, but when I looked around, I saw nothing.

Misha materialized out of the crowd, wanting to know what was wrong. Apparently he had been watching me, which I was not sure I liked. That conversation distracted me temporarily, but after a moment I remembered what had startled me in the first place and told Misha quickly. A man had said Kara's name...he was looking for him...to kill him! Misha grabbed my arm and made haste for the house, but when I asked why, he would only say to trust him. I do.... of course I do, but I like to know what’s going on. Sometimes I think he tells me too little, as if I am to be protected.

We arrived at the house just after Karanaj and Gruush, and proceeded inside. It did not take long for the attack to come. Two half-orcs and a human burst through the back door, just as another human and half-orc came through the front. As the two at the front door moved forward, I saw the man behind them. It chilled me to look at him, and I knew without a doubt that he was an evil cleric, though of which god, I am not sure.

Gruush and Misha faced off against those at the back door, while Kara and I took the front. The half-orcs and human at the back door hurt Gruush badly, but he managed to get in several good blows himself. I swung at the half-orc in front of me, wounding it badly, even as the evil cleric cast his foul magic against Misha. The cleric cried “Get the girl” and my blood ran cold. On my second swing, I took the half-orcs head and turned to the human. The cleric cast some sort of fear spell on Kara, who promptly ran out the door, leaving me all alone. I slashed wickedly at the human, wounding him, so that his counterattack missed. I slashed him again, as Misha shot the cleric full of arrows. Amazingly, he remained standing. The human nicked me as I was distracted by Gruush falling to the ground, unconscious or worse. The cleric took the opportunity to chant at Misha, and my beloved went screaming out the door, a victim of fear as well. I felt very alone.

Kara managed to overcome his fear and returned as I took the humans head and turned. He quickly cast magic missiles at the cleric, which flung him against the wall, smoking through a vicious hole in his chest. The two half-orcs caught me between them, swinging hard and I nearly fell. I had to step back from the action and heal myself quickly, even as Karanaj ran a half-orc through. I stepped forward as he did so, and took the other orc’s head. Together we turned to face the human, who was unscathed. We could not seem to hit him with mundane means, but Kara hit him with some of those wonderful magic missiles. They were not enough, however, and with one last vicious swing, I took his head as well, spraying blood everywhere, and managing to get quite covered myself.

As the last of them fell, I looked around wearily. Gruush was down, bleeding badly, and I didn’t pause, but ran to heal him. Kara and I were hurt pretty badly as well, although Misha had not a scratch. I quickly set about healing, and I was happy to note that although I was tired, my strength seems to be more than adequate for the road ahead. As we tossed the bodies outside, and I recovered a few interesting potions, I recognized the men we had killed as Zhentarim raiders, which filled me with dread. Do they know we’re coming?

It does not matter, I will go anyway. I realized suddenly that Misha was prattling on about leaving immediately, a foolhardy scheme if ever I heard one. I cannot blame him much; he is from Amn, he does not understand. This is a wild land, and in the dalelands, there is safety only in numbers, and not much then. To go off into the woods with our band of five...it would not be wise. The Zhentarim aside, the drow are more than worry enough. I refused to go with him. He grew angry, and said he would go anyway, to which I replied by entering my bedroom and shutting the door. He continued to rail at me in my head, and I grew weary of it.

He did ride away, and it was with a heavy heart that I watched him go. I had not thought that he would leave me unprotected, but it appeared I was wrong. I asked him mentally to leave the ring, my ring, but he would not. Karanaj came into my room then, to provide comfort. I gave my ring to him, not wishing to be connected to Misha anymore, not wishing to have that reminder. Kara argued with me, clearly seeing my pain, but I would not be swayed. If Misha would abandon me now, over something so small, then I could not depend on him not to do so when the stakes are much higher. I bade Kara leave me with a gentle good night, and I sat on the bed as he left, too numb to even cry.

I heard the door open again, and I turned, thinking Kara had come back, but to my surprise it was Misha who entered. He wished to know what I had done with my ring, but I refused to tell him. I must admit that I was angry and hurt, and I wanted to hurt him. I asked him all the questions that had been building up.... why he was so serious.... why he had changed. He did not have any answers for me, although he made some quips, and for a moment seemed to be my Misha of old. He claimed he did not want to be a leader, but I told him that he would be whether he wished it or not. He thanked me for my help, something he has never done before. I told him that he was too emotional, too rash, and he did not deny it. He said, "It is funny. I told your mother that you needed me... but it is the other way around. I need you...” It brought a smile to my face to hear it, and before I knew it, we were kissing. Misha pulled back from me for a moment, saying "I will warn you, I have changed in ways beyond my appearance...I just feel... that my bond is much closer with you than it ever has been with anyone...and I... I am committed to succeeding at this endeavor... at the cost of my own life. Corellon and Selune brought me back... but we both know that the reason was you. My life is insignificant... you are all that matters. Never will I leave you." I was speechless at this, and could only respond by kissing him again. The kissing led to other pleasant distractions, and it was some time before I rose from the bed. I sit here now, writing, watching him sleep. I love him so much it is like an ache inside me, and I fear for him as well. He has become part of a much grander scheme than he intended, and I fear just knowing me has changed him in ways he will never imagine. Some of those changes have been good, and others have not. He has been reborn, his life reshaped, he is the pawn of two gods, and it is all due to me.

I shall retrieve my ring from Karanaj in the morning, and I shall never willingly remove it again. I sit here looking at him, and I realize that what he is, I have wrought. I shall never leave his side, I shall share every burden that he bears, I will die for him if I must, for I have made him what he is, and for that I am sorry. I shall always be near, whether he loves me or not, and I shall protect him, even as he thinks he protects me. I owe him that much, and more. I shall seal myself to him in the way of my people, even as I stand from this desk, and walk to the bed, bending over him, and brushing his lips gently with mine. It is my promise.

--Vallia Woodshadow

Last edited:

Remove ads