(Judge) Judges gather here, please...

Knight Otu

First Post
Sure. Along with a GP limit for items though, I'd say (1/5 starting wealth unless it is an item from the PHB, or a potion or similarly minor item?)?

Manzanita

First Post
This brings up the issue of ECL PCs. This would be a reason to retire a higher level PC, to get an ECL race otherwise unavailable.

I'm hip to this concept as well.

I'm a bit torn on death. A reserection place could be good, but might interupt an otherwise nicely paced adventure, if someone dies and all of a sudden everyone heads out for the Tower.

As a DM, I want to be free to have PCs die if common sense or die rolls indicate this event. I also don't want the players mad at me if this happens. A resurection option would facilitate this, I suppose.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
I don't think there's a problem with having resurrection available for free, so long as there is some travel time/effort involved.

Manzanita said:
A reserection place could be good, but might interupt an otherwise nicely paced adventure, if someone dies and all of a sudden everyone heads out for the Tower.

That's part of what LEW is about, though. If one of the group dies, the rest of the group can take them to the Tower. When they return, the storyline has moved on without them - changing things, and such. Every action has a reaction: if they choose to have a character raised or not, that will affect the rest of their adventure.

I personally don't have a problem with this idea at all. I think that, as a player, just knowing that - if one of a group dies - we can go to a Tower to have them raised whenever we need to is a good thing. It lends the idea of freedom of choice, which is very important in a living campaign, IMO. You could have situations in which that isn't feasible (a time limit, for instance), but I think in most cases this should be a viable option.

Creamsteak

Explorer
Alright, so who's going to turn our brainstorming into a proposal.

I'm worn out for that for the day, so I'll just hope one of you has the free-time. If not, I'll get too it Thursday or later (tomorrow's shot).

Knight Otu

First Post
Possible points of discussion:

Secret proposals - sometimes, it might be inconvenient for a player or DM to propose something openly ("I'd like to propose this super secret evil cult that has absolutely nothing to do with the adventure I plan to run, pitting the players against a super secret cult..."). Presumably, this should happen via e-mail if possible (or, if we get a judge forum in there, posted by the first judge to receive it). After some time, that proposal would be added to the open forums.
Should that be an option?

Story arcs - The idea has basically been around basically since the start of LEW - There are one or more story arcs that DMs can join in with their adventures if they like, that can have an influence on Enworld, or at least part of it. I can see two general types of story arcs - those that can come to a conclusion (a group of heroes manages to kill the hobgoblin warlord who made the deal with the inevitables, and the alliance that threatened Enworld crumbles), and those that are continuous (the secrets of the Towers Arcane are many, and may not be fully revealed at any time). The latter type of story arc would propably be mostly a background story arc.
How would story arcs work?
The general idea I had: First of, a few willing judges (at least Creamsteak and I, propably) would brainstorm the basic idea, and then run it by the rest of the judges similar to adventures. An approved story arc, with its name and the basics behind it, would be posted on the forums (presumably as a sticky thread). DMs interested in the arc could email the judges for information in the adventure. From time to time, a story arc is advanced, usually due to adventures run along the arc, or lack thereof (hobgoblin army lays siege on Ignussus! No heroes in sight!).
Participating in a story arc might - might carry a smallish benefit beyond the participation itself in some cases. Note that this idea might be shot down quickly.

Cosmology - Some interesting bits: With Seto, we have a NE god that dwells in the Abyss, a CE plane in the great wheel. I'm actually inclined to have the Abyss be a NE plane in our cosmology. We have two seperate demiplanes known as the Labyrinth, one for Taurusk and one for Jareth. That one could of course be easily solved. There are quite a few deities whose home plane either varies (presumably through travel) or is a demiplane. That could be an interesting concept to build upon.

Creamsteak

Explorer
When I get the chance (Wednesday-ish) I'll try asking Morrus and the admins again about allowing me to have a subforum or two. It never seems to get thier attention long enough to do anything though, and with the server coming online soon I think it will wait for the switch over before it happens.

I'm thinking we need either a website or an archive subforum to host our approved content. I'm really pro-website, as that gives us something to advertise and update. I know we had offers to host it, but I'm sorry, I can't remember who said that. This would be basically an SRD + LEW specific stuff including maps/images/history and stories. In essence, a source site for anyone looking for LEW information. Any ideas in this direction could be helpful.

I think it would be nice to have our secret judge forum. I also think it would be nice to have a general out of character forum (so we would have our own talking the talk/playing the game). I really think that, with the server running smoothly and all, we could fill them up. The general OOC forum though, has the lowest priority to me.

Manzanita

First Post
I had some ideas I’d long meant to introduce. This might be the appropriate time. I don’t know if this is the sort of story arc you had in mind, but I offer them for your consideration. I would be happy to help develop them, as I think they'd really be better if created by a team of minds.

I don’t read fantasy, generally. But I am an avid reader of history. A couple situations in our history I think would really lend themselves to DnD.

1) The Crusades. While the historical crusades are mired in moral ambiguity, a LEW crusade could be much more of a good vs evil situation. Some force has taken control of a piece of land important to most of the inhabitants of LEW. Perhaps this is some site holy to the gods. Or vital for some sort of social or economic reason. It becomes a rare unifying cause among disparate kingdoms. It spawns an order of knights, similar to the Knights of Saint John, Knights Hospitalier, and the Knights Templar.

Adventurers could participate in pitched large scale battles, but would more often be involved in long range reconnaissance, spying, investigating areas captured from the invaders. They could be involved in various ways against this sinister force both on the battle field and deep within friendly territory, ferreting out plots and whatnot.

2) The New World. Once, when living in Oklahoma, I visited the town of Poteau, outside of which purportedly lies a Viking Runestone. Behind a glass wall in a leafy valley is a large rock with norse characters inscribed. Whether or not it is authentic, it stirred my imagination. Can you imagine a longboat of Vikings penetrating into the heart of the American continent?

What if a new continent had recently been discovered in LEW? It would be rich in minerals, including mithril. Vast forests and fertile soil also attract settlers and hunters. All the existing great powers want a piece. The characters could be explorers, hired for many reasons. Scouting out minerals, transport trails, mapping rivers, finding sites for new towns. Negotiating with the natives. Exploring ancient ruins. Competing against explorers from other existing nations/ organizations in the old world. This list seems almost limitless.

Remove ads