• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Judgement calls vs "railroading"

[MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION] I'm starting to question, if this goes much further, whether we'll become guilty of trying to apply science to what is in fact an art.

Kind of like what the fancystats guys are doing to hockey and baseball.

Yeah, this is where things get difficult because I definitely believe that GMing is at least as much science than art! And I'm definitely a proponent of advanced analytics in all sports!

Which doesn't follow to my logical side, in that unless the travel is itself broken up (e.g. by a teleport) then any discoveries in any RPG system are by default going to be sequential, hm? At location 1 this happens, at location 2 this happens, etc. with the only question being whether the party hits those locations or (intentionally or otherwise) bypasses them.

Sequential in terms of "there are these things on a granular, keyed map and play is about serially searching and exploring this granular, keyed map." Unless you have profound means of obstacle obviation, you're going to make your discoveries and encounter your dangers in a sequential order (with respect to the spatial relations of that prepped map and temporally with respect to things like time:exploration and Wandering Monster clock odds) and there is nothing to be done about it.

Playing out that map 10 times is not going to have profound deviation in play experience (there will be nuance, but not profundity or extreme dynamism).

Abstract conflict resolution is very different (in terms of prep, in terms of player agency, and in terms dynamism).

Looked at another way, it's almost like that system replaces wandering monsters with a much broader concept of wandering danger or just wandering damage.

If that helps you conceptualize the paradigm, then sure. It forgoes the nuance, but that is a decent enough fundamental property.

Though I would probably say:

1) the system replaces a keyed map with "an abstract, yet focused, one with room for discovery/reveal for all participants"

2) it replaces the wandering monster clock with "systematized and principled introduction of danger and discovery"

3) the 7-9 result is the best result because it gives everyone something they want while perpetuating a snowballing of the present situation.

We can probably leave it at that. I think we've gotten the mileage we're going to get out of this. Thanks for the conversation.

I think I want to move on to "how GMing principles, an integrated and robust reward cycle, and transparent resolution mechanics and play procedures disable GM Force and Illusionism...and how the opposite enables it."

I'll post about that this weekend.

hawkeyefan

Legend
With respect to the first of the two quoted passags: here seems to be some confusion here.

I replied to this somewhere upthread - the issue with "saying 'yes'" rather than calling for die roll, in the context of looking for a vessel, is not to do with railroading. In fact, in the OP I try to articulate why I think that setting a DC, rather than just "saying 'yes'", is not railroading.

Yes, and I agree. Your using the DC/skill check mechanic is not railroading. My point is that simply saying yes is also not railroading. Hence I don't see either approach as being much better than the other.

The reason for calling for a dice roll is drama and pacing. As I've already posted a couple of times (in reply to you, and to [MENTION=20323]Quickleaf[/MENTION]), by setting even low DCs at key moments a certain sort of tone is established (grittiness); over the life of the game it allows for moments of failure (perhaps black comedy) even when the risk of failure is low; it reinforces a certain "ritual" element to the game (this matters, and we're going to stop in play and acknowledge that, by setting a DC and calling for a check and picking up the dice); etc.

Yes, you did make that point earlier. I mentioned in my post that I didn't think that the best way to achieve drama was always to call for a roll. Meaning, at times, the chance of failure is significant and so we need to use the dice to hep determine the outcome. Other times, I think it is easier to simply proceed and let the actual drama of the situation be the main focus rather than the result of a skill check. I think that the player's desire to try and salvage some of the blood form the corpse in order to bring it to his naga patron is an interesting idea and I'd prefer to see how that might play out more than I prefer to see if a die roll determines if there is a bowl in the room or not.

This relates to the second of the quoted passages: what makes this a moment that is worth emphasising in the course of play is because the PC - having lost the opportunity to take the living mage to his dark naga master - has determined to take the blood instead. So the availability of a vessel is the "crunch" moment for that goal.

Is it? I mean....there's a corpse right there. It's not like a tipped pitcher of water that has drained. There's still blood in that corpse.

Divination and similar abilities: if these are adjudicated in the traditional way, they require the GM to already have backstory authored (so that s/he can report it to the player using the divination magic). This tends to push againt generating backstory as part of framing and narrating consequences. (In terms of the history of the game, this sort of divination is a legacy as a game aimed at "beating the dungeon" - [MENTION=16586]Campbell[/MENTION]'s "free kriegspiel".)

I don't agree with that at all. First, I don't know if the DM has to already have all backstory determined in order to adjudicate divination attempts. He can simply determine that on the fly, using his judgment and all that has happened in the campaign so far as his guides. Second, there's no reason that how he approaches the divination adjudication need be "traditional". Depending on the circumstances, perhaps he can involve the players in the process. Maybe he can describe details loosely....say give a vague description of a person that the divination reveals, and then see who the players think it is.

Mechanics that drag attention away from the action, and push towards an ingame-causal-logic-driven continuous narration, can include rest and healing mechanics; resource mechanics; etc. If a PC needs to spend X ingame days or weeks healing, then how is the GM going to go to the action? If the archer PC runs out of arrows, X miles from town, how is the GM going to go to the action?

Well, 5E has largely removed major concerns about the time it takes to heal....they're very abstract and quick. It never takes days or weeks to be back to full fighting strength. Some see that as being a problem in and of itself. I rather like it as it keeps things moving. I prefer dynamic situations that can continue to develop separate of the PC actions to some extent rather than static environments that only change when the PCs interact with them.

As for resource management....given how easy it would be to either handwave this entirely, or to track every arrow and every ration of food, or any point in the spectrum between those two extremes, I don't really see this as a problem. In my game, we tend to handwave this for the most part....unless there are story elements or developments that make it matter, like if they've been wandering the wilderness for some time, or something similar.

Well, that is a device for doing it - a method or system.

A bit pedantic, but fair enough. My point being that there is no mechanic beyond DM judgment. I don't know if that really constitutes a system. Your comment made it seem like you would introduce some kind of mechanical expression. You seem to prefer to have hard and fast mechanics of some kind in place for most things, and have a distaste for anything that can be seen as DM fiat.

To the extent that bounded accuracy tends to make PC build and player resource expenditure less important, because they get swamped by the die roll, it can potentially reduce the responsive of resolution to player choice and commitment.

I'm not saying it's an insuperable obstacle. But I don't think that it supports player-driven play. As I've posted a couple of times, I think the use of inspiration and hence having advantage as a player resource might be enough of a "solution" to the issue, because spending inspiration to gain advantge is a player resource choice that will tend to dominate over the vagaries of the dice.

I don't agree with that assessment of bounded accuracy at all. PC Build is still important....in bounded accuracy, a +1 bonus tends to be more meaningful than a +1 bonus in other systems (not all other systems, I am sure, but let's say other editions of D&D and some of the OSR clones). And resource expenditure matters quite a bit if the game is played with those resources in mind (i.e. making sure there are enough encounters per day to require some decision making in that regard).

If the main way to get XP is fighting monsters, but one wants the game to be all about following the players' leads into action that engages their PCs' beliefs, ideals, goals, etc, then I think a tension in player motivation can emerge pretty easily.

That I can agree with. I mean, as I said, we abandoned the XP system long ago, so I am actually not sure....does 5E's XP system only reward experience for the creatures defeated or otherwise overcome? I would think that there would be options for awarding XP for roleplaying or for clever play and things like that. Even if there's not, it's easy enough to do it on one's own.

I've stated the conditions under which I would regard a game as railroad-y: if at (1) [ie framing] and/or at (3) [ie resolution], the GM introduces fiction in accordance with his/her priorities and/or pre-authored conception of the situation.

Sure, and I suppose that it's the word "always" in your description that is a key to your view. I doubt that most games always rely on GM only for the framing and resolution. So if you mean that literally, then I can understand, but if you mean that any game that favors or skews toward GM driven framing and resolution is a railroad, then that's where I would disagree.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Getting back on topic, I'm going to return to what I believe is the most relevant passage from the original post.

On the other hand, had I decided simply that the room contains no vessel, because I had already decided that I didn't want the storyline to include shenanigans with a blood-filled chamber pot, I think that would count not only as a judgement call, but as one that has a railroading effect.

The emphasis is my own.

I do not believe we can meaningfully analyze the impact of GM decision making on play without diving deep into the considerations that motivate their decision making process. The GM decides can be a fine mechanic - so can the player decides. What matters most to me is that decisions are made behind the weight of a coherent set of principles that serve the interests of the game. Assuming one of the primary interests of the game is to meaningfully play to find out a GM who makes any decision based on shaping the fiction to arrive at their pre-planned story is actively working against the interests of the game. I am not really interested in whether or not we choose to call this railroading. Either way, it is not the sort of play I am interested in.

From where I stand choosing to not have the bowl be there because you are following the fiction as established is fine. Choosing to have the bowl be there because you believe it makes the characters' lives less boring is also fine. Choosing some sort of roll to see if the players' characters' find it is awesome because we're playing to find out. What actively works against my purposes is decision making that is guided by the outcomes I want to see happen.

The games that I most enjoy rely on a lot of judgement calls. In Apocalypse World things like when to apply harm, how much harm to apply, how long it takes to recover from harm, when a given player move applies, how hard of a GM move to make, which GM move to make, the choices they are prompted to make as a result of player moves, what fronts to include, when to a move a front's countdown clock up or down, what everyone who is not a PC does, when to disclaim decision making and ask the players are all judgement calls the game calls upon me as the GM to make. When I am MCing Apocalypse World I am pretty much making judgement calls every minute of play. That's a good thing. The judgement calls we make allow us to set a unique, tone, and style of play that is uniquely ours.

Here's the thing: the players can rest easy knowing that I am not making decisions based on my own interests or to achieve certain outcomes. I am serving the agenda and principles of the game. The basis for the decisions I make is on open display right there in the MC chapter. Outside of play I am more than happy to break down my decision making process in depth with any player. It's awesome when players come to me with stuff like that. It means they are taking an active interest in the game, I get to nerd out about GMing, and it's an opportunity for me to plant the GM bug in the player.

Last edited:

Emerikol

Adventurer
Thank you for this. I mean it. It's really nice to get some perspective. I think I would enjoy playing in your game, even if the heavy prep involved would make running a similar game pretty difficult for me. I think in many ways my most preferred approach sits somewhere between yours and [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION]'s. Pemerton, please correct me if I misspeak. My primary interest is following around the PCs and making sure they live meaningful lives full of interesting decisions, but I want to make sure they absolutely live on solid ground and we are following the established fiction to its natural ends. I leave a lot unestablished, and only really do so as needed to enable meaningful decision making. However, my fronts are very much real and have a life of their own. If engaged with or ignored there will be consequences. They are part of the fiction which we all follow.

Here's the agenda I follow in Apocalypse World, which can easily be adapted to other games:

I think the primary differences between our approach are that for you it is probably not enough to make the world seem real and it is the players responsible in your game to make their characters' lives not boring. I think we both play the world with integrity, even if I tend to do more building as time goes on and involve my players when I feel like it. One of my principles in most games I run is Think Offscreen Too. However, when I do so my primary interest is in exploring how what the players are doing through their characters is impacting what we're not seeing and thinking of new ways to make their lives not boring. Although, sometimes it's just to bring in details that make the world seem real.

Thanks. If you way is working for you then it's a good way and by working I mean everyone is having fun.

One way I control scope creep is when building my sandbox(es), I do so one at a time. I have a solid understanding of what I would consider the campaign world (not necessarily the entire planet think Greyhawk). Maybe a little deeper than what is presented in a campaign book but not a ton deeper. The sandbox though is where the player action is at. Early on it is a few small towns and the surrounding countryside or maybe it's a single large city. Those areas I detail a lot better. As the players advance they may outgrow one sandbox and travel to another. So you might think of sandboxes as level ranges too. Now does that mean I forbid them from leaving a sandbox? No. I think we all though understand that leaving a sandbox will require to DM to create another and that may take some time and it may stall the game for a bit. Normally my players are enjoying the sandbox and by the time they are ready to move on I've created another.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Yeah, this is where things get difficult because I definitely believe that GMing is at least as much science than art! And I'm definitely a proponent of advanced analytics in all sports!
In sports, the stats themselves are sometimes interesting but what's being done with them is ruining the game...at least as far as hockey and baseball are concerned, I can't speak to other sports...as the intent seems to be to turn players and coaches/managers into robots, or as close as can be achieved.

Boring.

Same might go for DMing - if every time I made a decision as DM I stopped to put it through the process wringer that some here espouse two things would happen in random sequence: my game would stop dead, and my head would explode. And even if I got past that, I'd worry the result might turn me into a more predictable/less spontaneous DM.

Boring. :)

Sequential in terms of "there are these things on a granular, keyed map and play is about serially searching and exploring this granular, keyed map." Unless you have profound means of obstacle obviation, you're going to make your discoveries and encounter your dangers in a sequential order (with respect to the spatial relations of that prepped map and temporally with respect to things like time:exploration and Wandering Monster clock odds) and there is nothing to be done about it.

Playing out that map 10 times is not going to have profound deviation in play experience (there will be nuance, but not profundity or extreme dynamism).
Which makes sense from a realism perspective as what was once new becomes familiar. Same idea as always driving down the same road on one's daily commute - the first time is interesting, the 90th or 164th or 8745th time not so much.

I think I want to move on to "how GMing principles, an integrated and robust reward cycle, and transparent resolution mechanics and play procedures disable GM Force and Illusionism...and how the opposite enables it."

I'll post about that this weekend.
Even by that short descriptor I think I can already see where the debate points will be. :)

Lan-"this is, after all, just an illusion"-efan

Imaro

Legend
If you way is working for you then it's a good way and by working I mean everyone is having fun.

I feel like this is my "guiding principle". As I read over the posts in this thread I realize that I would probably be considered an "incoherent" GM... But upon further reflection I think I'm ok with that. I don't necessarily want to be tied down to a set of principles or constructs that dictate how my game should be run or played, I'd rather be fluid and adaptable to the situation and the specific people I am gaming with.

I notice that most of the principles being followed by GM's in this thread seem to push what they like or care about in the game but I'm not sure that should always be the case in a social game with a group. I guess if everyone in the group enjoys the same things it works great but in a group like mine I think it would be a straight jacket that I don't believe would necessarily produce a better game for everyone. Of course I will gladly steal techniques, suggestions and ideas from all of the posters in this thread along with anywhere else I happen to find them...and mash, twist and mix them up in whatever way produces a great game for my players so I am greatly enjoying this thread and look forward to more interesting posts from it's participants that I can scavenge for parts of my game. Thanks.

hawkeyefan

Legend
Getting back on topic, I'm going to return to what I believe is the most relevant passage from the original post.

The emphasis is my own.

I do not believe we can meaningfully analyze the impact of GM decision making on play without diving deep into the considerations that motivate their decision making process. The GM decides can be a fine mechanic - so can the player decides. What matters most to me is that decisions are made behind the weight of a coherent set of principles that serve the interests of the game. Assuming one of the primary interests of the game is to meaningfully play to find out a GM who makes any decision based on shaping the fiction to arrive at their pre-planned story is actively working against the interests of the game. I am not really interested in whether or not we choose to call this railroading. Either way, it is not the sort of play I am interested in.

From where I stand choosing to not have the bowl be there because you are following the fiction as established is fine. Choosing to have the bowl be there because you believe it makes the characters' lives less boring is also fine. Choosing some sort of roll to see if the players' characters' find it is awesome because we're playing to find out. What actively works against my purposes is decision making that is guided by the outcomes I want to see happen.

The games that I most enjoy rely on a lot of judgement calls. In Apocalypse World things like when to apply harm, how much harm to apply, how long it takes to recover from harm, when a given player move applies, how hard of a GM move to make, which GM move to make, the choices they are prompted to make as a result of player moves, what fronts to include, when to a move a front's countdown clock up or down, what everyone who is not a PC does, when to disclaim decision making and ask the players are all judgement calls the game calls upon me as the GM to make. When I am MCing Apocalypse World I am pretty much making judgement calls every minute of play. That's a good thing. The judgement calls we make allow us to set a unique, tone, and style of play that is uniquely ours.

Here's the thing: the players can rest easy knowing that I am not making decisions based on my own interests or to achieve certain outcomes. I am serving the agenda and principles of the game. The basis for the decisions I make is on open display right there in the MC chapter. Outside of play I am more than happy to break down my decision making process in depth with any player. It's awesome when players come to me with stuff like that. It means they are taking an active interest in the game, I get to nerd out about GMing, and it's an opportunity for me to plant the GM bug in the player.

I understand all that, and I think it's a solid approach.

My only question is why GM desire is so bad? I don't want to assume the same preference of player driven decisions driving the story that [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] is advocating, but I think you are close to that. So what makes the players' desires so much more paramount to the game? The GM is a player, too, in the sense that it's a game that everyone is taking part in; yes, his role is different than the players' but he should still have a say in the game and how the story takes shape, no?

hawkeyefan

Legend
I feel like this is my "guiding principle". As I read over the posts in this thread I realize that I would probably be considered an "incoherent" GM... But upon further reflection I think I'm ok with that. I don't necessarily want to be tied down to a set of principles or constructs that dictate how my game should be run or played, I'd rather be fluid and adaptable to the situation and the specific people I am gaming with.

I notice that most of the principles being followed by GM's in this thread seem to push what they like or care about in the game but I'm not sure that should always be the case in a social game with a group. I guess if everyone in the group enjoys the same things it works great but in a group like mine I think it would be a straight jacket that I don't believe would necessarily produce a better game for everyone. Of course I will gladly steal techniques, suggestions and ideas from all of the posters in this thread along with anywhere else I happen to find them...and mash, twist and mix them up in whatever way produces a great game for my players so I am greatly enjoying this thread and look forward to more interesting posts from it's participants that I can scavenge for parts of my game. Thanks.

This is as close a match to what I do as has been mentioned in this thread. I change things up and use different techniques and tools, and focus on different areas of the game from session to session.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Aside: I think when it comes to the utilization of data science in sports we are still in the formative stages. There are all sorts of problems they are running into with their models, largely because they fail to account for things like team culture, player character, off the field behavior, human relationships, etc. You need to be able to understand the limitations of the current models and apply actual human judgement in utilizing them. Over time I'm sure the models will improve. There will always be a need to understand the limits of current models, but that does not mean analysis will not bear fruit. Just, you know, remember you are dealing with actual living breathing humans.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Well, 5E has largely removed major concerns about the time it takes to heal....they're very abstract and quick. It never takes days or weeks to be back to full fighting strength.
It rarely ever did in a practical sense. In 5e, it takes two days (a long rest, the balance of 24 hrs so you can take a second, and those 6 or 8 hrs, so not even quite two) to fully recover (all hps, all slots, all other long-rest-recharge resources, and all HD). In 4e it took one long rest (unless the disease track was involved, I suppose). In 3e it took no more than 24 hrs (depending on how/when the characters resources refreshed, a cleric might be a certain time of day, if that had just recently passed...), but recovering hps might be trivial - from wands and such - or might add another 24 to that cycle if the healers tapped themselves out getting everyone back up and need to refresh their spells again, and they were time-of-day recharge rather than rest-and-prepare. AD&D, it took a certain number of hours (at least 4) to rest before re-memorizing spells, and time to memorize each based on level (so a low level character could be refreshed in less than a 5e long rest, but a high level one could literally take all day). Again, if you exhausted your healer getting everyone up, you'd need another cycle.
Sure, in theory you could forego the wands and the infinitely-renewable resource of daily spells and sit around healing 'naturally' for days, or weeks, up to six of them in 1e, IIRC. But that assumed an untenable party composition.

My point being that there is no mechanic beyond DM judgment. I don't know if that really constitutes a system.
DM judgement can override any mechanic, I think, is what you're getting at? Obviously, 5e has plenty of mechanics, not all of which absolutely require judgment every time (though the basic resolution system certainly does).

I don't agree with that assessment of bounded accuracy at all. PC Build is still important....in bounded accuracy, a +1 bonus tends to be more meaningful than a +1 bonus in other systems (not all other systems, I am sure, but let's say other editions of D&D and some of the OSR clones).
You certainly want to acquire every possible +1 bonus under bounded accuracy, as every +1 in precious, because it's unlikely you've already overwhelmed the d20. In 3.x, your ranks & synergy & magic-item & other bonuses could make another +1 meaningless on a skill you've heavily specialized in, for instance, and another +1 to hit for a fighter might mean nothing more than another +1 to throw into Power Attack (if his other bonuses exceed his BAB, it might not even mean that!). So that's a contrast. But pemerton is right in as much as it does mean the player has less 'agency' - and the dice, in essence, more (though 'dice agency' isn't a term I'm aware of). ;)

That's just the flip side of the obvious problems 3.x showcased in overwhelming the d20, though. And, though the 5e player can't build up his character to the point it's certain to succeed at specific sorts of tasks, the DM /can/ rule that a given action declaration works without calling for a check. So you can have the character who's strong enough he doesn't have to roll to open a stuck door - it's just not something the player can specifically design into his character based only on the system. That ball is in the DM's court. (Really, the 5e DM has to have a lotta balls... in his court.)

The GM is a player, too, in the sense that it's a game that everyone is taking part in; yes, his role is different than the players' but he should still have a say in the game and how the story takes shape, no?
With power comes responsibility. The GM has more control over the game than the players, he needs to exercise restraint. That's part of what's behind 'railroading' being so negative - it could be symptomatic of a DM abusing his role.

Last edited:

Remove ads