• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Judges Guild, any for OD&D or "classic" D&D?

Sleepy Voiced

First Post
Did Judges guild produce any materials for OD&D or "classic" (basic/expert) D&D, or only for 1e AD&D? If they did make modules for OD&D, what were they? Just curious.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Yes they did. Tegel Manor for instance was for D&D. I think they did about 30 products for D&D and about 15-20 for AD&D (they sort of had a split with TSR in about 1981, I think, that's when you started seeing generic products).

Glyfair

Explorer
trancejeremy said:
Yes they did. Tegel Manor for instance was for D&D. I think they did about 30 products for D&D and about 15-20 for AD&D (they sort of had a split with TSR in about 1981, I think, that's when you started seeing generic products).
In fact, I think some D&D products had later printings that were "generic" products.

Melan

Explorer
The early Judges Guild products were all written for Original (one true) D&D, since 1st edition AD&D hadn't been published yet. The best of that period are:
City State of the Invincible Overlord
the various Wilderlands books
Tegel Manor
Caverns of Thracia
Modron
Citadel of Fire
Thieves of Fortress Badabaskor
Ready Ref Sheets (lots of random tables and optional rules)
The Book of Treasure Maps
The Dungeoneer's Compendium (lots of fanzine articles plus some kickass mini-adventures inside)

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Melan said:
Ready Ref Sheets (lots of random tables and optional rules)

Those were really nice. Printed on very heavy cardboard.
Also, I think Judge's Guild is the first place we see the acronym THAC0. I don't remember the Dragon ever using it until 2E, but JG products had it listed for almost every encounter.

diaglo

Adventurer
WayneLigon said:
Those were really nice. Printed on very heavy cardboard.
Also, I think Judge's Guild is the first place we see the acronym THAC0. I don't remember the Dragon ever using it until 2E, but JG products had it listed for almost every encounter.

they had it in later 1edADnD modules by T$R

and the 1edADnD DMG (revised 1979) had a slot on the monster index for a to hit score. but it wasn't called ThAC0 really.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads