• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Judges Guild revival

lkj

Hero
DaveMage said:
Actually, it may not be as ambitious as it sounds. Since much of the information that these supplements cover is already available (if I'm reading it right), then the bulk of the work may be C&C conversion, rather than coming up with new material (though I'm sure there's some of that).

I'm disappointed that the announcement doesn't include any products compatible with 3.5 as I don't play C&C. However, this is certainly good news to those that do.

I feel the same way. I'm really glad that Wilderlands now looks to be actively produced, and I have nothing against C+C (which I know little about). But with my budget and time as limited as they are I probably won't be picking up a new system anytime soon, as I'm happy with the one I've got. At any rate, I hope that they do very well with these products, even if I myself won't be buying many of them.

Cheers,
AD

loki44

Explorer
DaveMage said:
I'm disappointed that the announcement doesn't include any products compatible with 3.5 as I don't play C&C. However, this is certainly good news to those that do.

I'm extremely happy that Judges Guild is enjoying this revival, and I wish this latest project nothing but success, however I have to echo the opinion that I'm not altogeher happy about the C&C direction. That's just selfishness on my part. I too have nothing against C&C, having never even glanced at it. I'll probably eventually pick it up but I don't cherish the thought of learning a new system just to keep getting my JG fix. Will Bob Bledsaw have a hand in all this? Time to head over to the Necromancer, et al., boards...

rebarton2

First Post
One of the strengths of the old JG material was its portability - that is, it didn't have that much crunch and could therefore be easily adapted to various systems. While I certainly understand the disappointment of those who might have been hoping for a D20 edition, perhaps the new edition will continue the old trend - more description, settings, etc., and less crunch. If so, then perhaps (again, I'm guessing) the distinction between D20 and C&C as the base of the new edition won't matter that much. I like the Wilderlands so much that I'd be willing to convert it to other systems. But that's just me.

G

loki44

Explorer
rebarton2 said:
One of the strengths of the old JG material was its portability - that is, it didn't have that much crunch and could therefore be easily adapted to various systems.

I'd say that's a fair assessment. I'm only mildly disappointed that it'll be in C&C format for the reasons you mentioned.

rebarton2

First Post
No official announcement that I know of from the Trolls - who are, I suspect, all at GenCon. There's a thread on the Trolls' site similar to this one, but it's all predicated on the NG announcement.

TLG discussion

There's also brief discussion on the Dragonsfoot C&C forum, but without any official info/announcement.

G

Captain Howdy

Explorer
Honestly, while I am slightly upset that they will be C&C releases, it really doesn't change much for me. Even if the books were all D20/3.5 rules, I would probably only buy the Gazetteers, Wilderness books, and City State books. I don't care for class books, and those are the ones with most of the crunchy bits.

I'll have to take a look when they come out, but I would imagine that those DM books are mostly fluff, and so they wouldn't take much work to convert. Chances are, I will still buy the books I was planning on getting, regardless of the system... We'll see.

I think it's fantastic all the way around. Especially the fact that it's C&C rules, since that's my main game. Judges Guild is an "old school" company, so I think it makes sense for them to go with C&C. I know EN World is mostly a d20 site, so I understand the "aw, no 3.5" comments, but I'm grinning from ear-to-ear.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Philotomy Jurament said:
I think it's fantastic all the way around. Especially the fact that it's C&C rules, since that's my main game. Judges Guild is an "old school" company, so I think it makes sense for them to go with C&C. I know EN World is mostly a d20 site, so I understand the "aw, no 3.5" comments, but I'm grinning from ear-to-ear.
Given the difference in market shares between 3.5E and C&C, I suspect this decision (which I imagine was made for the sake of expediency, since it'd be far easier to convert to C&C) will turn out to be something of a misstep from a financial standpoint. Hopefully all the books will come out, but I wouldn't be surprised if they discover it's pretty easy to glut the C&C market relatively quickly, as opposed to the (relatively speaking) vast maw of 3.5E demand.

After all, even though 3.0E books are 99 percent compatible with 3.5E rules, it's no secret that 3.0 stuff plummeted in sales once the new ruleset came along: Perception is much more important than reality in the consumer's world.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads