• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

July 27. Gary Gygax Day?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
smootrk said:
I think it is a little macabre to celebrate death...

I would suggest we not confuse what we celebrate with the day upon which we celebrate it. I spend the day my brother passed away thinking fond thoughts of him, and it isn't macabre in the slightest. And the concept of a celebratory wake isn't exactly new.

As practical points, if we move the date, everyone is going to clearly remember that it isn't the original, given the timing of his passing - so you don't really get to dodge the macabre bullet. And March is usually devoid of holidays and summertime busy-ness, which may make it more observable.

Henrix

Explorer
As GQuail said, the sad news have really cemented the date. Even Steve Jackson has already confirmed it:
For the last few years, roleplayers have celebrated March 4 as "GM's Day." And now it's the day when the best-known GM of all time put down his dice. Going forward, this should also be a particular date on which we recall Gary and his contributions.

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
With Klaus' reasoning I am also leaning towards renaming GM's Day as Gygax day. We celebrate his life-work, and life as the First GM.

smootrk

First Post
My point is that we celebrate Presidential birthdays, MLK's birthday, Christmas (not to poke religion into it), and heck, even Easter is not marked for the death of Jesus but for the rise.

Celebrating his demise is akin to closing the book on him, or closing the book on his works, which is entirely unnecessary. His materials are just as valid today and can still be used for moving forward (speaking specifically on D&D rules EGG crafted).

Count me for moving the day to his birthday.

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
And smootrk's point is the reason for my original suggestion. Most great men of history are celebrated on their birthdays. I find it fitting to give the same honour for Gygax.

Klaus

First Post
smootrk said:
My point is that we celebrate Presidential birthdays, MLK's birthday, Christmas (not to poke religion into it), and heck, even Easter is not marked for the death of Jesus but for the rise.

Celebrating his demise is akin to closing the book on him, or closing the book on his works, which is entirely unnecessary. His materials are just as valid today and can still be used for moving forward (speaking specifically on D&D rules EGG crafted).

Count me for moving the day to his birthday.
We wouldn't be celebrating his demise, far from it. We'd be celebrating his life's work, and acknowledging all those who follow in his footsteps as GMs.

The Cardinal

First Post
Gary's birthday should be Gygax Day - but GM's Day should stay as it is: two holidays are not too much for the man who gave us all the stuff dreams are made of!!!

I can´t find something macabre or unworthy in celebrating a Great Man on his Day of Death. The Day of Death is the time to think about the lifework of the one who passed away. In the End its just a decision of what one like best.
So I agree with Steve Jackson to give the GM´s Day a substance and Gary a Good Chance to have a Memorialday which will Last for more than one Year.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
I like both ideas, so I'm good either way.

Of course, we could always move GM's day to July 27 - then we all win! ;)

Darkwolf71

First Post
I am in favor of a E.G.G. day on July 27.

I am wholly opposed to either the renaming or moving of GM's day. Gary was indeed, The DM. And IMO the day should remain as it is for exactly the reasons others want it to change.

He passed on GM's day, the day we celebrate all GMs. Of which he was the first and most noted. Moving the day would trivialize the... coincidence, hand of fate, divine providence, take your pick that made March 4th, which happened to be GM's day, the day Gary passed.

Renaming the day, seems to be against the friendly, giving nature of the man. I sadly did not know him, but what I know of him makes me think he would rather the day continue to honor ALL GM's. I don't think he woud want that taken away.

So, my modest, humble opinion is that GMs day shold remain unchanged. July 27 should, for all the reasons mentioned by others, be Gary Gygax's day and his alone.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads