• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

July Errata is up

Victim

First Post
I think I didn't express myself clearly--it was completely unfun because it felt like I was doing nothing. There was no roll, no anticipation of maybe missing, and no challenge, thus... unfun. I LIKE difficult games, and when things go wrong. Some of the best times in games are when things go completely wrong and to me, there's just no chance of that with MM. Now, a situation of the epic proportion described directly above would have been way more epic had the wizard rolled and then hit instead of auto-hitting (but it sounded pretty epic anyway, good story, hehe).

I realize though that not many may like that level of difficulty.

Having a reliable default power doesn't really change the fact that if you can't swing a more effective power than your default, things are kind of bad. If things are actually challenging, then autohitting for weak damage isn't going to turn things around. It's just going to let you say "Look! I'm helping!" while things fall apart.

Dice4Hire

First Post
If the combat was terrible for the wizard because they auto-hit with MM for 18 rounds, how must it have been for the other party members who had nothing whatsoever they could do for those same 18 rounds.

Sorry, but terrible encounter design or a very unusual encounter does not prove much to me.

Maximilia

First Post
If the combat was terrible for the wizard because they auto-hit with MM for 18 rounds, how must it have been for the other party members who had nothing whatsoever they could do for those same 18 rounds.

Sorry, but terrible encounter design or a very unusual encounter does not prove much to me.

There was another creature within melee that the others were dealing with. Also, I did have Force Orb (and hit with it, I have a +10 mod to hit and hitting most things isn't a problem unless the dice hate me that day), but that was my only other range 20 power. Usually, I have Fireball memorized, but that day I was going to try another power instead and thus didn't. It wasn't necessarily the encounter make up--I just listed the relevant details to the discussion.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads