• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Jump Attacks?

SorvahrSpahr

First Post
Hey there En World, wassup?

I've been playing with my unarmmed ninja and I started wondering, are there any rules for mixing a melee attack with a jump check? I have a 16 worth Jump, and I wanted to use it more often. So, any home rules or official rules about jumping and kicking your opponent's kisser?

Infiniti2000

First Post
d20 is notoriously lacking in 3D Space support. That said, I tend to go with the simulated 5ft-cube voxel-like approach.

Once you have that defined, I see nothing wrong or even restrictive with the rules as-is on jumping. The one caveat is whether you rule that "running start" literally means taking the Run action (I would guess a majority of people would rule that it literally means moving 20ft before jumping like the skill description says).

PS. I'm assuming that you aren't actually suggesting a called shot.

notjer

First Post
SorvahrSpahr said:
Hey there En World, wassup?

I've been playing with my unarmmed ninja and I started wondering, are there any rules for mixing a melee attack with a jump check? I have a 16 worth Jump, and I wanted to use it more often. So, any home rules or official rules about jumping and kicking your opponent's kisser?

There is a feat from the Assasin's Handbook which is called "Death from above"

Description:

Death from above [General]
You can combine melee with jumps.

Prerequisites: Jump +6, base attack bonus +4 or better.
Benefit: When you jump onto a melee opponent as part of a charge attack, you gain a +2 to attack and damage rolls for that attack.

Flynn

First Post
For me, I treat jump attacks as if the attacker were charging, and give them a +2 attack/-2 AC, with the AC penalty lasting until the beginning of the next round. Beware of attacking people with reach, as you will trigger an AOO moving through the air to get to them. If your target has Large And In Charge, you could stopped before you get to your target if they are successful in that AOO. Mobility is a good feat to have in that case.

As an aside, I treat swinging from the chandelier as a charge attack as well.

Hope This Helps,
Flynn

EDIT: See notjer's post above for more support on the charge attack aspect of jumping into the assault.

hong

WotC's bitch
You could steal the Iron Heroes idea of skill stunts.

Make a Jump check as a move action, opposed by your target's BAB check (BAB + higher of Str, Dex mod); if you win, you get a bonus to your next attack. In IH the target loses their active defense bonus, which is very useful in that game; in D&D the equivalent would be losing Dex bonus to AC. This is great if you have sneak attack/sudden strike, not so much otherwise. A +2 to hit in addition to losing Dex bonus would make it useful for everyone.

SorvahrSpahr

First Post
hmm, I actually like the idea of treating it like a charge attack, sounds pretty good, and it's basically what I hd in mind. thx for all the sugestions guys.

Darklone, where are Flying kick, leap attack and snap kick from?

Last edited:

Darklone

SorvahrSpahr said:
hmm, I actually like the idea of treating it like a charge attack, sounds pretty good, and it's basically what I hd in mind. thx for all the sugestions guys.

Darklone, where are Flying kick, leap attack and snap kick from?
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/lists/feats&tablefilter=kick

Leap Attack is CAdv. Powerful Charge from MiniHB would add another +1d8 for a medium creature to a charge attack...

Taking these feats would be far from being optimised though.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads