• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Jumping through Solid Fog

Ourph

First Post
Here is the situation. An NPC must attempt to jump across a 10ft pit in order to attack a PC Wizard. On his action, the Wizard declares he is readying to cast Solid Fog over the pit just after the NPC leaves the ground (i.e. - right after the NPC rolls his Jump check). Assuming that the timing is right, what would happen to the NPC?

The spell description states...

SRD said:
any creature attempting to move through it progresses at a speed of 5 feet, regardless of its normal speed

Does this mean the NPC jumps 5ft into the fog and stops, effectively failing his Jump check and falling into the pit?

Jack Simth

First Post
No, the distance hasn't changed, and you can do multiple-round jumps. As written, It just means he takes longer to complete the jump. Wierd.

kolikeos

First Post
what he said plus:
in a logical point of view, if the npc left the ground before the spell was cast he will land normaly just as his jump check indicated, although he might not be able to see his suroundings.
but i'm not quite sure i know the spell you're talking about, if the spell physicly prevents him from moving then the npc will fall, into whatever is waiting for him at the bottom of the pit :)
although the spell might slow down the fall for him :)

Ourph

First Post
kolikeos said:
but i'm not quite sure i know the spell you're talking about

Here's the entire entry from the SRD, for clarity...

SRD said:
Solid Fog
Conjuration (Creation)

Level: Sor/Wiz 4

Components: V, S, M

Duration: 1 min./level

Spell Resistance: No

This spell functions like fog cloud, but in addition to obscuring sight, the solid fog is so thick that any creature attempting to move through it progresses at a speed of 5 feet, regardless of its normal speed, and it takes a –2 penalty on all melee attack and melee damage rolls. The vapors prevent effective ranged weapon attacks (except for magic rays and the like). A creature or object that falls into solid fog is slowed, so that each 10 feet of vapor that it passes through reduces falling damage by 1d6. A creature can’t take a 5-foot step while in solid fog.

However, unlike normal fog, only a severe wind (31+ mph) disperses these vapors, and it does so in 1 round.

Solid fog can be made permanent with a permanency spell. A permanent solid fog dispersed by wind reforms in 10 minutes.

Material Component: A pinch of dried, powdered peas combined with powdered animal hoof.

kolikeos

First Post
seems as if it phisicly prevents movement. the npc should fall, but take no falling damge unless the pit's bottom is outside the spell area, in that case any lengh he falls through the fog does not count towards the falling damge.

Remove ads