• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

June 2009 - What are you reading?

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
A few things in progress...

3 Nights in August, about Tony LaRussa's managing the Cardinals baseball team;

For the Love of Music, essays on classical music by Michael Steinberg and another fellow whose name I don't recall. Great stuff.

The First World War by John Keegan. I need to plug this hole in my history - in school, it was pretty much skipped over, and I need to go back and fill in the details.

Wombat

First Post
The Renaissance - This is part of the history series by the Durants. The Durants are now somewhat dated in their historical writings but I still very much enjoy reading Will Durant's histories. I haven't re-read his histories in maybe twenty years, but I'm finding it every bit as interesting as my first go round.

I find the Durants useful for the broad sweep of history, but they are a bit too uncritical of certain sources (especially with matters pertaining to France ... and, specifically worse, Napoleon), but there have been very few historians ever to try and to what they did -- gather together information not simply on the politics and military activities, but also of art, philosophy, science, culture, fashion, etc. No, not the best historians, but some of the most integrated. ;-)

bento

Explorer
Thanks Eric & Jack7 - appreciate the sentiments.

Getting back on topic, has anyone picked up a new title, "Shop Class as Soul Craft: An Inquiry into the Value of Work"? I read a review on Slate.com and it sounded really interesting.

Mercutio01

First Post
I'm reading Portrait of a Killer: Jack the Ripper—Case Closed by Patricia Cornwell, The Complete Works of Emily Dickinson, and Evening Watch by Cameron Mount

Brakkart

First Post
Currently reading Escape from Undermountain by Mark Anthony. Just recently got all caught up with the adventures of Felix & Gotrek by reading Orcslayer, Manslayer and Elfslayer. Very much looking forward to Shamanslayer in September. Before then though I have the last of the Empyrean Oddysey novels to read and also the sequel to Heldenhammer too.

Jack7

First Post
I'm reading Portrait of a Killer: Jack the Ripper—Case Closed by Patricia Cornwell

I read that Merc. When it firts came out.

What did you think of the presentation of the evidence and the conclusions drawn?

Mercutio01

First Post
I read that Merc. When it firts came out.

What did you think of the presentation of the evidence and the conclusions drawn?
I think she's just as loose with the facts as any other Ripperologist. She's convincing, but it's all circumstantial and incomplete. It might be enough to get search warrants, but wouldn't be anywhere near enough to convict.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Book Two in the Year of Rogue Dragons. Another Forgotten Realms book with a bunch of completely off the wall characters but good and easy reading.

Elak of Atlnatis: Had a hard time with the first story. Any story where the main bad guy is called Elf and the hero is playing second fiddle to a Druid (capital D there) makes for poor reading. The second story flew by though. I'm glad Paizo brought these older books back into... well, I won't say Mainstream, but how about print?

Viel of a Thousand Tears: Had a hell of a time getting through the first book in this series and the second one isn't any better. It's why I started Elak. The Rogue Dragon is my 'car' book. A paperback that I can take with me whereever I go and read it when time permits. Because it's quick reading, they tend to go quick.

CCamfield

First Post
Just started Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett. First of his books I've ever picked up.

How are you liking it? It's a pretty good starting point.

I just finished reading Turn Coat by Jim Butcher. Good latest installment in the Dresden Files.

Remove ads