Just Always Wondered

Bhryn

First Post
I've always wondered this, and it seems an appropriate area to ask;

When you all came to roleplaying, what originally brought you here (however short or long a time ago it was) and how? Did a friend introduce you? Did you 'stumble' across it? What made you want to try it out?

I've always been curious as to how and why people started to roleplay and being ever curious, figured I'd best ask!

B xxx

Drindin

First Post
I played DND, went to wizards, and saw this thing called 'isrp', thought I'd give it a shot, and almost six years later I still play. I'm *alot* better at it now, too.

Personally I was a forum junkie back at wizards of the coast, and was linked to ISRP (didn't even know it existed or even had a board of its own over on those forums) by a froum WizO around uncon... missed all the uncon events at the time because of my time zone, but I became intrigued by the ISRP section of the chat and after about 6 months gradually drifted from a forum junkie to an ISRP junkie :D

Dribble.

First Post
Well, one day I started my PC. There is no D&D or anything like it here at Argentina, so the only connection I had with it was the 1985 rule books my brother had bought when my family lived in Canada (still the only books I have.) So, I was wandering around the internet when I decided to google Dungeons and Dragons, for no reason at all. That brought me to WotC, and eventually, to the ISRP chat, in wich I became famous for disrupting games with my "Hello?" "Hey, what is this?" and "How do I send private messages?". So, at the beginning of 2006 I returned, and found that there was no ISRP anymore. I passed some months there, until this WizO told me that they had moved it here. So, here I am.

The funny thing is, that even through I broke down a lot of games (out of innocence, of course) nobody ever bothered in kicking me :D

Alek

First Post
Let see...I was 11 or 12 years old and Pokemon was the craze in middle school, old WotC chat had a pokemon section that I used to go to, then I discovered magic the gathering, and hung out there, then I discovered dungeons and dragons, and hung out there, then I was directed to isrp by a friend I made in the dnd chat.

My first character...damn...I forget what he was. I know I've probably collectively wasted more hours of my life in ISRP then anything else. Looking back, I wish someone had stopped me from getting involved in online role playing when I was in my early teens...not for my sake, but for the sake of the people I interacted with. Hmm...I guess the same thing could still be said nowdays :p

Elf_Ariel

First Post
Uhm wow. Let's see. My true roleplaying career *chokes* yeah I dont really count but anyways. I started when I was just coming into high school. So a whiles ago, back in 2000 or somewhere there, perhaps 99. It was ironically an english speach. Not -mine- obviously, but a friend of mine's who was wrapt up in Magic the Gathering. The speach was to tutor the class how to 'do' something. I wish all speaches were so easy. So yeah, he ran me through the 'rough' rules of MtG and did a mock game while he did his speech. From there he introed me to ISRP. Funny that I never really picked up on anything else. So there ya go, something good did come outa thems english classes. Just not grammar, spelling, pronounciation etc etc. ;). Ariel was my second character! Perhaps she is getting a bit old!

Mortonia

First Post
Why do I suddenly feel like the old hand?

Let's see, I was introduced to Dungeons and Dragons by a good friend back in middle school - which would have been in 1984 or 85. Ye gods, I've been playing this game for 20 years. I also tried my hand at Star Frontiers, Traveller, Gamma World, Top Secret, and a few other games.

I stumbled across the Crossroads Tavern back when it was still on AOL - lost it again for a while, found it again when they were on TSR/Wizards, and then I took a hiatus from roleplaying for a number of years due to real life issues.

Recently, a good friend supplied me with the link to the ISRP here on EN World, and I decided, what the hey, so here I am back.

Hmm...

It was 2000, my wife's brother had found a place to rp D&D. We found out it was freeform D&D so that helped since I had no clue what a 20 side dice was, much less a Lawful Good Paladin of <insert random god> at that time. My very first chara was Nicholaus, and being the creature of habit I am, I still play him. I never rp'ed before in my life, hell I didn't even care or thought I would -EVER- rp until my wife gave me her sights on it.

But since we are in the topic of wondering, he's his a tid bit about how greeeeeeeen I was back in the day, jeje.

Nich wasn't always a WW Vampire. I found that D&D was very, very limited about vampires, so created a Freeform Vampire, based on bits and pieces of ideas from my own mind and some D&D. Then we meet White Wolf, and the rest is history. Nichy became what he is today, a pain in the butt Anarch Ventrue :D

So now you know, jeje

Last edited:

Jeajea

First Post
Let's see... ooh, memory lane... been doing that a lot recently.

I've been DnDing for years, since I was ten in fact. My family got me into it - they all play, even mother. I've been involved in various games though them. That was back in '96... so one day I feel like wandering around the Wizards site, looking for books. I find the DnD forums. I find the Castle of Fun. From there I find ISRP... this would be around 2000. I was only 14 years old, bless... and like Nich, my first character is still my main character - Jeajea.

A lot of people had a lot of impact on my first character. Nich would be one of them, as would an elven princess or queen or something who stopped coming a -long- time ago, a few of the then WizOs, Bhryn quite a bit... and others, I dunno. What fun...

Ruthia

First Post
hhmmm......How did I start this crazy thing we call ISRP? Oh I remeber! Back in 1995 I found this crazy thing called a mIRC chat room. Amazed and fasinated I started chatting with others. But then in 1998 I graduated and left my parents house and the computure. By 2001 I was married with one kid and another on the way. And Hubby, being the great man he is, bought me a computure! I went back to my old chat rooms and no one I knw was there, so I went on a search for new ones. Came across ISRP and figured "what the heck" and made Ruthia_the_White on the spot. She use to sit at the Crossroads and do nothing but read books as I learned how to roleplay! Ah the good old days when Ruthia was a nobody and her life was peacefull.......

Remove ads