• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Just Always Wondered

Kathryn_aka_Kat

First Post
*comes out of the woodwork for this one*

"My God, boy, I'm the oldest man I know. I've got a decade on the Pope!"

Points if you know the source of the quote. ;-) I'm not a man, and I don't have a decade on the Pope, but I do have a year on Siani, hehe!

I've been playing tabletop RPGs for 27 years, with my husband as the usual GM. We started with 10 years of first edition AD&D, then switched to GURPS. Another couple that started that first D&D campaign with us is still playing, too, and we have kids now playing. Back in 2003, my husband took a long break to let someone else run a summertime campaign of BESM which didn't interest me at all and I went searching for an on-line gaming place to take up the slack. I tried a couple of places that didn't seem interesting, then found WotC and the ISRP chat there.

I liked that there were message boards to discuss the play styles and the rules and there was the option to do message-board play-by-post campaigning if the chat proved dull, and I liked that the chat was moderated to reduce totally disruptive snerting. I also liked that it wasn't strict D&D since my knowledge and rulebooks were, ahem, a bit out of date. *eyes the stack of books now next to the computer and sighs* Gods, WotC's made a fortune out me now that I'm hooked.

I know, I know, I still don't have to play straight D&D and I'm very glad of that. I think it adds a lot to know that everything you encounter can't necessarily be reduced to figures and page references. It does make it more difficult for those that come in strictly with tabletop notions of gameplay, but they learn. This is VERY different. We're not in a GM-run campaign module where everything you meet is geared for your char level, where encounters are bound to happen, and where there's a goal and point to the play. You're better off thinking of this as improv theatre where the main enjoyment is -being- your character instead of -playing- it.

Which, I love doing. :D So I'm still here, and probably for good.

Enelya

First Post
I was introduced to ISRP via the infamous Draco. It was my freshman year of high school (94 - 95). I was the ripe age of 15. Draco and I were childhood best friends and suddenly I could never get him off the computer. After several days of my incessant whining he introduced me to the site. I had no previous AD&D knowledge. My first character was Willow Calypso. The first name came from a character I was in the freshman play and the last name based off my Greek name for my Latin class. Remember I was 15! I was hooked from that day forward. Evidentally I got introduced to table top gaming and have dabbled in it here and there. Nowadays I prefer a pair of dice compared to the freeform version.

Elf_Ariel

First Post
Ahhh yeesh. It's good to feel -young-. Sorry darling's but that's really makin' me feel betterer. I have to admit I'm a little jealous. I keep my dnd addiction to myself. The folks down my way would just laugh their heads off at me if I started on about it. I just love the thought that most of you peeps can enjoy personal RL relationships with folks who enjoy playing equally. I'm feeling deprived. I should migrate ;)...or no...you should all come visit! HAH!

And I swear I'm not addicted...I'm not admitting to having a problem. This way I get to continue without any qualms.

Lysander Namm

First Post
Well I feel moderatly old now, I was 15 maybe sixteen and one of the old Wizo's got me into the free form aspect, though I had been rping in various games from AD&D to Marvel to Fifth Age Dragonlance to Feng Shui to Darkmatter to yeh well you get the point. And of course I also met a future ex-girlfriend here too :p

Last edited:

Enelya

First Post
Elf_Ariel said:
Ahhh yeesh. It's good to feel -young-. Sorry darling's but that's really makin' me feel betterer. I have to admit I'm a little jealous. I keep my dnd addiction to myself. The folks down my way would just laugh their heads off at me if I started on about it. I just love the thought that most of you peeps can enjoy personal RL relationships with folks who enjoy playing equally. I'm feeling deprived. I should migrate ;)...or no...you should all come visit! HAH!

My husband is NOT a gamer, and he makes fun of me often for it. :)

Alek

First Post
I like these threads at first, but then I grow more depressed every time I am reminded that I have been doing this for 7 years.

Remove ads