D&D (2024) Just make critical do double damage. Period.

Clint_L

Hero
Critical hits should always be an event, and few things suck worse than getting a critical and then rolling one extra point of damage. Plus, the current rule is needlessly complicated. Just double all the damage from the attack, including bonuses. The math on it is complicated because there are a ton of variables, but in general we are only talking about a 2-3% DPR increase to classes that make a lot of attack rolls, so there actually won't be a huge impact on overall balance, and I think the fun factor plus design elegance make the change worth it.

Thoughts?

Absolutely agree.

Another alternative I like, if the system really can't handle that much damage variation, is to have crits just do max damage. Really all I care about is having the simplest, dumbest rule that gives a nat 20 some excitement without causing confusion.

The current crit system seems to be a font of constant low level confusion, because fundamentally "double the dice rolled" and "double the roll of the dice" are more or less identical, sound too similar however you describe them, and even though nobody actually cares which way you do it every group I'm in seems to have someone who wants to reconfirm which it is every damned time they roll a crit. I think it's probably because it's making a demand on people's rules brains and math brains at the same time, and a lot of people are shaky on one or both of those. Just double all the damage and keep life simple.

Honestly, one of the crunchy bits I miss the most from 3.x was the critical hit system. I want special weapons that crit for triple damage. I want enchantments that threaten a crit on a 19. I want damage that is actually deadly and swings out of control sometimes.

The oversimplified crit system is one of the reasons 5e combat is too safe. I say, bring back the drama.

Jahydin

Hero
@Clint_L
I think the designers were specific about what doubles because it does imbalance things, especially at higher levels.
A PC that hits for d8 + 4 would go from 13 to 17 crit damage; a 30% increase.
Even creatures that hit for 2d6 + 6 would go from 20 average crit damage to 26 for instance, a 30% increase as well.

That's not even taking into consideration the broken PC combos possible. From u/cellescent, u/EverydayEnthusiast, u/quackycoaster, and u/Featherwick on Reddit:
Oathbreaker is a fantastic suggestion. The goblin is a great race, but it suffers from stats ill-suited to this build, with its small size and lack of STR or CHA bonus. It does, however, point me to the other, much better suited race: the Aasimar, with its transformation that lets it deal +level damage once a turn, for one minute a day. The Fallen is particularly good. Finally, of course, a fighter’s third attack and Action Surge are often too good to pass up.

Top consistent flat damage on every hit, every turn: Hexblade 12 / Oathbreaker 7 / Barbarian 1, Variant Human, 18 STR / 20 CHA. Your standard bonus is +4 (STR) +2 (Rage) +5 (Hate) +5 (Lifedrinker) +6 (Curse) +1 (IPW) +10 (GWM) = +33 a hit, applied over 3 attacks with PAM for a respectable total of +99 a round. Introducing a Belt of Storm Giant Strength and a +3 Halberd brings each item-boosted hit up to +40, for a total of +120.

Top reliable flat damage in a single round: Cavalier 11 / Oathbreaker 7 / Hexblade 1 / Barbarian 1, Fallen Aasimar, 20/16 STR/CHA. Your standard bonus is +5 (STR) +3 (Hate) +2 (Rage) +6 (Curse) + 10 (GWM) = +26, applied over up to 7 attacks with Extra Attack (2), Action Surge, and PAM. Tack on the +20 from Necrotic Shroud, and with one attack become a +46, you’re looking at a reliable nova of +202. If we introduce the +3 halberd and the belt of storm giant strength into the equation, as well as swapping those CHA and STR scores, each attack goes up to +35 with one up to +55, bringing the item-boosted reliable nova up to +265.

Cavalier is chosen over Battlemaster in the above scenario for two reasons: one, it gets opportunity attacks much more easily with Hold the Line. Two, with Unwavering Mark, it gets a special BA attack with a little extra flat damage, STR times a day. With these two in play - an 8th attack and a one-time +5 bonus - depending on the situation, one attack climbs to +60, and the total to a situational item-boosted nova of +305.

Last edited:

Staffan

Legend
I'm also in favor of just doing double damage on crits. Mainly because doing so affects everyone equally: double is double, regardless of where the damage is coming from. It irks me that the extra damage a barbarian deals when in a rage (fixed number) is treated differently than the extra damage a rogue deals when in an advantageous position (dice).

I can see cause for two exceptions:
  • Things that specifically do extra damage on a crit. Duh.
  • Things that let you add damage after the attack is already rolled. Using a Smite or superiority die and getting double the effect out of it when you already know you crit is a bit cheesy.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
So let's look at what's really going on with critical hits. Player side, most people do negligible amounts of extra damage, as you've noted. In 3e, the basic crit was equal to 2 regular attacks, so if you crit, you were up one attack. Weapons that gave you more than a 5% extra chance to crit did less base damage (meaningless if you have high static damage), weapons that didn't improve crit rate did more damage (so rare outside of edge cases like murdering a sleeping foe that all that extra damage is likely going to be wasted on a mook or a guy fuming on hit points anyways). From a design perspective, enough things were outright immune to crits in this edition (and you could always slap Fortification armor on your BBEG) that this was bread and circuses; big numbers make ape brain happy.

And on the DM side? Most crits were 20/x2 for monsters, so it remained a 5% chance for an extra hit. Sometimes that was a very scary extra hit, but it was acceptable.

4e came along and tried to simplify the process by turning crits into max damage. Well that was easy, but players stopped feeling super excited about crits in of themselves, unless you were chucking out a high damage move; many players were happy for the auto hit, especially when using a power that completely wrecked an encounter in other ways ("yes, nat 20, the BBEG is dominated/stunned for 1 turn, let's clean house, boys!").

They had ways to do more critical damage, and the people who liked that sort of thing gravitated towards it, even though the only way to "crit fish" and have this be a truly relevant moment were...uh, attack more times, or be an Avenger and ROLL TWICE, MAN! Woo!

Now in 5e, everyone goes on about Rogues and Paladins, but the class that has the easiest time getting a high crit range and makes the most attacks? At best they're getting another 6.5-7 damage out of a crit. Wow. A crit isn't even worth a whole extra attack! The classes that have huge damage pools? They can roll twice with advantage. Maybe super advantage with Luck or Elven Accuracy.

And all of this pales compared to monsters. See, while most players only have to look forward to another die (or two), many monsters are tossing out multiple dice of damage, because WotC decided that, for the most part, monster damage is a function of their Challenge Rating, not what attack they're really using. Oh they make some attempts, but often "this monster does an extra die of damage because we gave it a special ability (Gladiator)" or "we just made this number up" (Giant Ape- where is the logic behind a 7d6 rock? How big a rock is it? How many of these rocks does it have? Don't worry about it!).

The DM is always going to get more crits than any single player; he rolls tons of dice for a seemingly infinite amount of monsters. And after awhile, when he does, he's getting way more out of it, because sure it's fair that that random CR 7 crits for 55 damage, while you crit for 19, why wouldn't it be?

And WotC knows this is borked, they tried to address that in the "New and Improved Flavor 5e" playtest. And the people said "nooo, we need that 5% chance to bring a guy down to 0 hit points so he can be propped up by a few 1st level spell slots! That's the only way the game is challenging!".

So here we are. Crits can simply not matter for players, but be back breaking for DM's. Anything you do to make crits better for players makes crits better for monsters, so the game becomes more swingy. Some people will like that, others will be ok as long as they do moar damage.

Others will be hit by a random crit no matter how careful they are and go from full hit points to zero and it's ok, because I can heal you for 7.5 damage as a bonus action and you can keep playing! Isn't that awesome?

Remove ads