Just pottering around (was early 20thC ... setting)

doghead

thotd
she can't turn undead but.

Haranna
Human Female 3
Concept: Cleric

str 10, dex 13, con 12,
int 14, wis 16, cha 11.

BAB: +2.0
Saves: Ref 2/+3, Fort 1/+2, Will 2/+5
Skills (64 skill points): Concentration (Con) 6/+7, Craft (Int) 6/+8, Diplomacy (Cha) 6/+6, Handle Animal (Wis) 5/+8, Heal (Wis) 6/+9, Knowledge (arcana) (Int) 6/+8, Knowledge (history) (Int) 6/+8, Knowledge (religion) (Int) 6/+8, Perform (recorder) (Cha) 6/+6, Profession (researcher) (Wis) 5/+8, Spellcraft (Int) 6/+8.
Feats: xxx, light armour prof, simple weapon prof, spellcasting - divine level 1, 2, 3, run.

-- breakdown --

Level 1
bab: 0.5 + 0.25 (1)
saves: will +1
skill points: 4 +2 (int) +1 (human) +4 (2) = 11x4 -- TOTAL: 44
feats: light armour prof (auto), simple weapon prof (auto), run (human bonus), spellcasting - divine level 1 (5).

Level 2
saves: will +1, ref +1 (1), fort +1 (1)
skill points: 4 +2 (int) +1 (human) +4 (2) -- TOTAL: 11
feats: spellcasting - divine level 2 (3)

Level 3
bab: 0.5
saves: ref +1
skill points: 4 +2 (int) +1 (human) +2 (1) -- TOTAL: 9
feats: entry - xxx (4), spellcasting - divine level 3 (3)

***​

Well up in the skills department, but down a little in saves and feats (particularly the armour profs). And she can't turn those undead.

I'm tempted to increase the skills to 3 skill points per CP, or to add an extra CP to make it 9 per level. Or increase the initial CP allocation to 12(?).

DrSpunj

Explorer
Good to see you still plugging away at a similar system! And thanks for the link in Thanee's thread pointing me here.

I just recently redid the Core sheets a bit and also went with a 3/4/5 cost system for the feats & abilities. While similar to what you have I've got them a little different:

5 CPs for a Base feat/ability: Rage, Wildshape, Sneak Attack, etc.
4 CPs for an Expansion feat/ability (your Progression, I believe): Rage/Wildshape extra times per day, Tireless Rage, Wildshape-Large, Sneak Attack with more dice, etc.
3 CPs for a General/Non-combat feat/ability: Nature Sense, Skill Focus, Track, etc.

I'm probably going to stick with those costs but I just got Wulf's Grim Tales and am thinking of using his version of Talent Trees with some different prereqs along the line of what Thanee suggested in her thread. I think going that way may be a bit...cleaner than all the current prereqs I'm trying to use.

I still wish you could open the Excel spreadsheet! Let me know if I can save it in an older format. As I said, I'm using Excel for OS X and the Save As Dialog allows me to save it as far back as an Excel 2.2 Spreadsheet and even has some Lotus 1-2-3 & dBase options.

Anyway, good job here and good luck with it.

DrSpunj

doghead

thotd
DrSpunj said:
I just recently redid the Core sheets a bit and also went with a 3/4/5 cost system for the feats & abilities. While similar to what you have I've got them a little different:

5 CPs for a Base feat/ability: Rage, Wildshape, Sneak Attack, etc.
4 CPs for an Expansion feat/ability (your Progression, I believe): Rage/Wildshape extra times per day, Tireless Rage, Wildshape-Large, Sneak Attack with more dice, etc.
3 CPs for a General/Non-combat feat/ability: Nature Sense, Skill Focus, Track, etc.

My brain is dead and I can't seem to put my thoughts in order. Humm. But here goes - I suspect that dividing the feats into combat and non-combat could be problematic in cases (but I can't think of one at the mo'). Instinctively, the entry verses progression seems easy enough to handle. Same with the core vs class distinction. Combat vs non combat seems to add a dimension that could be tricky. Or perhaps just unnecessary. Its is also building in the assumption that non combat feats are worth less than combats ones. Maybe its true.

I'm wary of going the way of skill trees. Its kind of taking a step back towards preset paths. And it would involve more work.

Some more examples would help sort out my thoughts a bit I think.

DrSpunj said:
I still wish you could open the Excel spreadsheet! Let me know if I can save it in an older format. As I said, I'm using Excel for OS X and the Save As Dialog allows me to save it as far back as an Excel 2.2 Spreadsheet and even has some Lotus 1-2-3 & dBase options.

Anyway, good job here and good luck with it.

DrSpunj

I have an old version of Claris Works 3.0 which has a spreadsheet function. In the save box it offers MS Excel 3.0 or 4.0 as file type options. So maybe it has translators for those files types. It also offers ASCII Text, DBF, DYF and SYLK, but I have no idea what the last three are.

the tired dog

doghead

thotd
Hoegruff
Human Male 3
Concept: Barbarian - subtly is not really a word in his lexicon. Its definately not in any dictionary he has read. A spearman.

str 16, con 15, dex 16,
int 9, wis 9, cha 8.

BAB: +2.75
Saves: Ref 1/+4, Fort 1/+3, Will 1/+0
Skills (32)
Climb 2/+5, Intimidate 6/+5, Jump 2/+5, Listen 6/+5, Move Silently 6/+8, Ride 2/+4, Survival 6/+5, Swim 2/+5.
Feats: Armour Prof - Light, Cleave, Power Attack, Rage - 3/day, Toughness, Weapon Prof - Simple.

-- breakdown --

Level 1
bab: 0.5 + 0.5 (2)
skill points: 4 -1 (int) +1 (human) +2 (1) = 6x4 -- TOTAL: 24
feats: light armour prof (auto), simple weapon prof (auto), toughness (human bonus), entry - rage 1/day (5)

Level 2
saves: fort +1
skill points: 4 -1 (int) +1 (human) -- TOTAL: 4.
feats: entry - power attack (4), progression - rage 2/day (3)

Level 1
bab: 0.5 + 0.5 (2)
saves: will +1
skill points: 4 -1 (int) +1 (human) -- TOTAL: 4
feats: progression - cleave (3), progression - rage 3/day (3)

***​

Another. A simple barbarian. Stuffed full of fighting feats and ill humours. His saves have suffered ... but he has Rage 3/day at 3rd level.

doghead

thotd
Thanks for the link. Its an improvement on the HP system, but the system is still essentially ablative. Vitality still progresses significantly with levels, so high level characters can still (mostly) just soak it up.

In the revised grim'ngritty rules, you get a defense (ability to avoid damage) a soak (ability to take it) and a life bar. All creatures get the same life bar of 25 pips (wounds).

So for Hoegruff (Based on the dex variant of the rules)

Defense Bonus +5 (+2 BAB + 3 Dex mod)
Soak +5 (+2 con, +3 studded leather armour)
Attack Bonus +5 (+2 BAB +3 Dex)
Damage Bonus +3 (+3 Str)

The system in a nutshell
Roll To Hit: d20+attack vs d20+defence.*
*If this is a positive number, calculate damage.
Damage = weapon dam + damage bonus + (d20+attack - d20+defence*)
*from above.
Wounds = Damage - Soak.

0-5 wounds: not impaired
6-10 wounds: -1 on attack & defense rolls, ability & skill checks, and saves.
11-15 wounds: -2 on attack & defense rolls, ability & skill checks, and saves.
16-20 wounds: -3 on attack & defense rolls, ability & skill checks, and saves ...
20-25 wounds: dying.
26 wounds: dead. 'nuff said.

Last edited:

doghead

thotd
Armour and Weapon Profs

The Armour Profs for a sequence with Armour Prof (Simple) the base. Fair enough.

The Weapon Prof don't - but I'm going to make Simple WP a prereq for both Martial WP and Exotic WP. This allows them to be bought as progression feats as they build on Simple WP.

Martial WP gives you proficiency with a type of weapon ie: axes, bows, picks & hammers, polearms, and swords. Not sure what to do with flails, as they are quite different from any of the others.

Exotic WP gives you proficency with a single weapon. ie Sai. Or bolas.

doghead

thotd
Lipton. Get it? I didn't till I was about to post it. Duh.

Lipton
Human Male 3
Concept: Thief.

int 16

BAB: +2.0
Saves: Fort +1, Ref +2, Will +1
Skills (72)
Appraise 3, Balance 6, Climb 6, Disable Device 6, Hide 6, Jump 6, Listen 6, Move Silently 6, Open Lock 6, Search 6, Sleight of Hand 6, Spot 3, Use Rope 6.

-- breakdown --

Level 1
bab: +0.5
saves: ref +1, ref +1 (1)
skill points: 4 +3 (int) +1 (human) +4 (2) = 12x4 -- TOTAL: 48
feats: light armour prof (auto), simple weapon prof (auto), Nimble Fingers (human bonus), entry - trapfinding (5).

Level 2
bab: +0.5 +0.5 (2)
skill points: 4 +3 (int) +1 (human) +4 (2) -- TOTAL: 12
feats: entry - stealthy (4).

Level 3
bab: +0.5
saves: will +1, fort +1 (1).
skill ponts: 4 +3 (int) +1 (human) +4 (2) -- TOTAL: 12
feats: entry - trapsense +1 (5).

-- notes --

A cat burgler rather than a fighter. Having to take trap sense as an entry was a but of a blow - I'd probably allow it as a progression of Trapfinding. Could have kept to the original saves that way.

Its just not possible to keep up with a standard class build using this system - both the evasion/uncanny dodge progressions and sneak attack progressions had to be abandoned.

But the up side is that you can focus on the areas you want, and get them faster. You don't have to wait til 9th level to get trapsense +3, you could have it by 4th (with trapfinding used as the entry/prereq).

I quite like the leaner characters, but its a little hard core. One option would be to increase the number of CP's - perhaps12 at first and 9/level there after. Another option would be to use the Midnight Heroic progressions. These provide a series of feats/ablities/spell like abilities based around a theme. At each level there is something new - which is nice. Another option would be to do both.

DrZombie

First Post
Nice work Doghead. If I wasn't over my head in work these days I'd be sorely tempted. And I play in two of your games allready. You evil man, killing off Lisa just like that.

Need sleep. Out.

Remove ads