Just pottering around (was early 20thC ... setting)

doghead

thotd
I saw this in the General forum and though it looked like an interesting menthod of stat creation.

the matrix

18 06 15 14 14 12
15 16 13 11 15 12
13 15 15 11 16 09
07 15 10 18 11 12
12 14 15 13 04 13
14 12 11 14 16 13

Draw a single straight line through the matrix intersecting 6 numbers. You can go horizontally, vertically or diagonally. You can not change the order of the numbers.

For example
* 4th row, left to right - str 7, dex 15, con 10, int 18, wis 11, cha 12
* 4th row, right to left - str 12, dex 11, con 18, int 10, wis 15, cha 7
* sw to ne corner - str 14, dex 14, con 10, int 11, wis 15, cha 12.

I rolled the numbers randomly using the 4d6-lowest, placing them on the grid inthe order that they were generated (by row, left to right if its important).

I'm curious as to whether it provides enough variety for people to find what they want.

doghead

thotd
d20 Modern seems to have some odd ranges.

The effective range for a spandau MG08 (.311 caliber) was about 2,200 yards. The max range was about 4,400 yards. Lets say that the 2,200 yards represents the maximum range a gunner could concievable hit something, equivalent to the 10th range increment (which is a bit of a stretch, as this was the range the weapon was sighted in for and should represent a fairly basic shot - more like the 5th increment (-8).
AC 10 + range penalty 18 = DC 28.
To hit roll 20 + BAB +3 + dex + 3 + tripod mount +4* = 30.
* cos otherwise they miss.

2,200 yards is 6,600 feet. So the increments for the weapon should be 660 ft. The Ma Deuce (.50 cal) MG has a range increment of 110 ft. Areh? The 50 cal was generally regarded for its accuracy at range.

Max range: 6,800 m; effective, 1,500 m. Jane's Infantry Weapons, 24th Edition 1998-99

Some serious nerfing going on here.

OK. How to get some sort of framework set up. the Enfield was sighted for 300 and 600 yards. So I'll make 900 it max - 90 yard increment. Oh. I get it. Dungeons - feet. Wilderness - yards. AD&D. Is that still around?

doghead

thotd
Holt
Human Male 3 (Advanced progression - 12/9CP)
Concept: Forest Ranger/Hunter/Tracker.

matrix: 3rd column, bottom to top.
S11, D15, C10 I15 W13, CH15

BAB: +2.75
Base Save: F +3 R +1, W +1.
Skill Ranks: Climb (Str) 5, Concentration (Con) 5, Handle Animal (Cha) 5, Heal (Wis) 5, Hide (Dex) 6, Jump (Str) 5, Knowledge (nature) (Int) 5, Listen (Wis) 6, Move Silently (Dex) 6, Profession (Wis) 6, Search (Int) 4, Spot (Wis) 6, Survival (Wis) 6.
Feats: light ap, simple wp, martial wp - firearms, wf - firearms, alertness, animal companion, track.

animal companion: russ. wolfhound.

Level 1
bab +0.5 +0.5 (2)
saves: fort +1, will +1 (1)
skills: 4 +2 (int) +1 (human) +6 (3) = 13x4 -- total 52
feats: light ap (auto), simple wp (auto), track (human), progression: martial wp - firearms (3), progression: wf - firearms (3).

Level 2
bab +0.5 +0.5 (2)
saves: fort +1, ref +1 (1)
skills: 4 +2 (int) +1 (human) +4 (2) -- total 11.
feats: entry - alertness (4).

Level 3
bab +0.5 + 0.25 (1)
saves: fort +1
skills: 4 +2 (int) +1 (human) -- total 7.
feats: progression: ws - firearms (3), entry: animal companion (5).

doghead

thotd
My last pbp game idea suffered a death of 38 silences. All the other games I'm in are fairly quiet, so I've decided to get back to work on this while I sulk.

*pout* *pout*

Where to start. Character generation I suppose.

doghead

thotd
The pbp game I am currently running with the classless system has shown up some difficulties with incorporating the class abilities - the bardic and monk in particular have abilities that don't breakdown easily.

I had hoped that the (ex) and (su) designators could be useful in resolving this but having lookerd over them, I don't think that they will help.

The next solution is to simply remove all class abilities with the exception of spellcasting. This reduction appeals to some degree, in the same way that playing NPC classes does. When the basics are sorted out, the class abilities can be reintroduced in a some manner. However, the simpler game resulting from the removal of the class abilities does fit nicely with the feel of the game I'd like to create. I think that this is the way to go.

In regards to class abilities, I think that they are going to much more closely tied to culture. The barbarian is an obvious example. Only those born and raised in a barbarian culture would have access to the Rage ability. Its not something that can just be just picked up in order to give your fighter a bit more grunt. The bard is another, traditionally it tooks years of training to be a bard. Again, not something you could just pick up after a few rounds in a dungeon. Obviously, this means that these cultures and institutions have to be present into the setting in some way for them to be an option.

Or new ones that are more setting appropriate. An idea would be to use starting templates that, while restricting choices, provide opportunities to gain extrordinary and supernatural abilities, and improve them as the character gains experience. Ironically, something like classes.

Tonguez mentioned the Fey. I think that they could provide a nice counterpoint to the human Empires. I definately want to get them in somehow.

doghead

thotd
Thanks. I've just read through the thread. Off the cuff I'm not sure how it would work either. I'm still trying to get some gng games up and going and havn't really had any combat come up yet. But I think I'm going to keep it in mind.

thotd

doghead

thotd
Withdraw? Looks like flee to me.

I had this happen in a combat my character was in. The opponent stepped back (5ft step) and drunk a potion in the middle of the melee! I couldn't do anything but watch. Eh?

Thats not right. So just thinking aloud here ...

If a character in melee chooses to take a 5 ft step back, the opponent may choose to press immediately. To disengage you need to take a 5 foot step back, then win an initiative contest the next round to be able to get away. Another option might include using Bull Rush to push the opponent back so you can disengage.

The whole dnd combat system gives me a headache.

Characters each roll d20 and add their melee bonus (bab + str + size + other). The character with the highest score wins that round. The difference between the two rolls equals the 'attackers' Strike value. The attacker may then divide up that Strike value into a number of blows up to their BAB. Why wouldn't you always choose to take the maximum number of blows? Soak baby. Soak.

Humm. I know the concept works in principle as we used it in our WHFRP game. God knows what sort of mess it will make of this game however.

Hoegruff vs Haranna

Round 1
Hoegruff 13 [8+2+3] vs Haranna 7 [5+2+0]
* Hoegruff Strike: 6 - two hits of +3 dam.
** Short Spear 8 [2+3+3] - Soak [3] =5 wounds.
** Short Spear 10 [4+3+3] - Soak [3] = 7 wounds.
*** Haranna suffers 12 wounds and is Severely Wounded (-2 to rolls).

All the dex, dodge, shield ac bonuses don't come into play. Dodge is easy, a chance to evade a successful strike. Shields provide an opportunity to block. Dex is used to mod the rolls. Starting to get a lot of rolls.

Lets give Haranna a shield (and SP) for the sake of demonstration
* Haranna 7 [4+2+1] vs Hoegruff [1+2+3] - One attack is blocked.

How many attacks can you block/dodge? Just one? One per BAB?

Lets give Haranna a second chance (as she has a BAB of +2)
* Haranna [17+2+1] vs Hoegruff [19+2+3] - Attack is not blocked.

Assuming the numbers of the second attack,
* Haranna suffers 7 wounds and is Lightly Wounded (-1 to rolls)

Now shields seem to have some value. I wonder how Sunder would fit into this ... nicely it would seem. Haranna's light wooden shield has Hardness of 5 and HP of 7. It takes 8 Damage from the first blow, Soaks 5 and so loses 3 hp. Another couple of rounds of this and it will be useless. Should have got the iron one. Should this be an automatic result of taking a blow, or only happen if the attacker declares a sunder attack? Bit to much book keeping for my liking if it happens all the time.

Hoegruff
Human Male 3
Concept: Barbarian. A spearman.

str 16, con 15, dex 16, int 9, wis 9, cha 8.

BAB: +2.75
Saves: Ref 1/+4, Fort 1/+3, Will 1/+0
Skills (32)
Climb 2/+5, Intimidate 6/+5, Jump 2/+5, Listen 6/+5, Move Silently 6/+8, Ride 2/+4, Survival 6/+5, Swim 2/+5.
Feats: Armour Prof - Light, Cleave, Power Attack, Rage - 3/day, Toughness, Weapon Prof - Simple.

Haranna
Human Female 3
Concept: Cleric

str 10, dex 13, con 12, int 14, wis 16, cha 11.

BAB: +2.0
Saves: Ref 2/+3, Fort 1/+2, Will 2/+5
Skills (64 skill points): Concentration (Con) 6/+7, Craft (Int) 6/+8, Diplomacy (Cha) 6/+6, Handle Animal (Wis) 5/+8, Heal (Wis) 6/+9, Knowledge (arcana) (Int) 6/+8, Knowledge (history) (Int) 6/+8, Knowledge (religion) (Int) 6/+8, Perform (recorder) (Cha) 6/+6, Profession (researcher) (Wis) 5/+8, Spellcraft (Int) 6/+8.
Feats: xxx, light armour prof, simple weapon prof, spellcasting - divine level 1, 2, 3, run.​

Last edited:

doghead

thotd
Take 10?

Can you take 10 in combat. I don't see why not. You aren't going to get the big hits, but won't get the low rolls either.

Fighting defensively - Character may opt to use 1.5 times BAB but if they hit, they get no strike bonus to damage rolls.

Full defense - Character may opt to use 2 times BAB but do not hit their opponent even if they win the engagement.

So, back to Hoegruff and Haranna (assuming she has the shield)

Round 2
Haranna elects to fight defensively, one strike.
Hoegruff elects 2 strikes.
Hoegruff 13 [8+2+3] vs Haranna 21 [18+3+0] - Haranna wins.
* Haranna Attack: one strike at +0 (fighting defensively).
* * Damage 3 [3+0+0] vs Soak 6 [3+2+1] - no wounds caused.

Round 3
Hoegruff 16 [11+2+3] vs Haranna 16 [13+3+0] - no result.

Round 4
Hoegruff 17 [12+2+3] vs Haranna 6 [3+3+0] - Hoegruff wins (+11).
* Two strikes at +6/+5
* Block #1 - Strike 18 [12+6] vs 6 [3+2+1] - fails.
* Block #2 - Strike 17 [12+5] vs 22 [19+2+1] - blocks.
* * Damage 11 [3+3+6] - Soak [3] = 9 wounds
* * Haranna has suffered 16 wounds and is Severly Wounded (-4 to rolls)

I used Hoegruff's original to hit roll for the block attempts to speed things up. There were 5 rolls in total for the whole round: 2 x to hit, 2 x block, 1 x damage. A regular round would have 4 assuming both character hit: 2 x to hit, 2 x damage.

Had Hoegruff called one strike, the +11 would have allowed him a shot at a critical. If Bypass Armour had been confirmed - Haranna would have suffered 17 wounds: Damage 17 [3+3+11] vs 0 Soak. Ouch. 24 wounds and Haranna is Dying.

Whoops, forgot to include the -1 penalty from her previous wound.

doghead

thotd
Combat Basics

Attacking: Combat is a contested action. Both combatants roll:

> d20 + BAB + str bonus + size bonus + other attack bonuses

The one with the highest result Wins and is the Attacker for that round, their opponent the Defender. If the results are the same, there is no result that round. The difference between the Attackers result and the Defenders result becomes the Strike bonus.

Blocking: Defenders with a shield may attempt to block a Strike:

> d20 + BAB + Dex bonus + Shield AC bonus
> vs
> Attackers to hit roll + Strike bonus

Dodging: Defenders with the Dodge feat may attempt to dodge a Strike.

> d20 + BAB + Dex bonus + Dodge AC bonus
> vs
> Attackers to hit roll + Strike bonus

Wounds: Wounds caused by Strikes that are not Blocked or Dodged are determined by the following:

> Weapon damage + Str bonus + Strike bonus - Opponents Soak value

Results of less than one mean that no wounds have been caused.

***​

OK. I need to work out how multiple strikes work, declaring intentions, multiple combatants, surprised characters, missile combat.

Attacks of Opportunity: My favourite bugbear. The amount of fiddling around that goes into these is boggling. Basically, when engaged you cannot do anything other than fight. If you want to do something like drink a potion, answer your cell phone or grab some coins to pay your tab, you have to disengage and withdraw, or stun your opponent, or knock them down or something. Doing so while engaged will allow your opponent to get an attack on you. Your combat roll is automatically a 1 and you do not Strike your opponent if you 'Win'.

Last edited:

Remove ads