• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kalamar losing popularity?

Psion

Adventurer
Arcady said:
One of the major goals of Kalamar -as far as a fan can tell from the commentary- has been to make sure you jcould just grab your PHB, DMG, MM, and the core Kalamar book and run a complete game. Kalamar was meant to be a setting book, not a rule book.

Were I to run a KoK game, that's how I would run it. I don't think I would use any KoK stuff other than the setting book, the atlas, the screen, and maybe the orc book. Too much of the later stuff belies this supposed goal and adds new classes and other rules material that I really feel only detract from the setting. AFIAC, KoK is you best bet if you are seeking to stick to the core, as it seems to suit that style of play well.

Iron_Chef said:
So, to get away from political correctness, I'm hopping onto Conan d20 as soon as the book comes out, though I was tempted to run Thieves' World before I realized the Conan release date was so close. That, and the old Chaosium box set from 1981 would need some major conversion work to d20. :p

Of course Conan D20 will be MUCH more logical than FR or KoK.

Yeah right. :rolleyes:

MrFilthyIke

First Post
DocMoriartty said:
Of course Conan D20 will be MUCH more logical than FR or KoK.

Yeah right. :rolleyes:

Conan *IS* closer to how a lot of people I've met play D&D.

1. Kill the creature.

2. Plunder the body.

3. Hit the brothel.

:rolleyes:

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Indeed, it was a full hijack but a good one too.

Psion,

Not sure I quite agree with that..but hey whatever floats the KoK peoples and close to core rules people boats.

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
I have all the Kalamar stuff but have yet to run any of it but I keep buying the products because they're generally very good and I still think I'll run a campaign there one day.

My only complaint is that I am fairly conservative when it comes to rules (which is why, for example, I never purchase Mongoose products) and I think some of Kalamar's rules are, for lack of a better term, broken (eg, anti-feats in VDH, prestige classes like the [can't remember the name... darklight codex adept or something) and definitely in need of re-editing and/or redesign.

However, the non-rules stuff is really good and the atlas is simply outstanding. It's shame that the publishers other worlds that I DM in don't have the resources to throw money at a similar product (this isn't a complaint as I understand the reality of the business) for their worlds.

Hmmm, perhaps I'll have to buy FFG one day so I can get atlases for Midnight and Dawnforge into print...? ;)

Cheers
D

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Der,

Those were some of my complaints as well, (the anti-feats and the Darklight wizard really were...bad.)

I'm sure though some day FFG will put out a nice atlas for Midnight and maybe Dawnforge later on. Well I HOPE they do.

Remove ads