• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kalamar losing popularity?

Mark Plemmons

Explorer
Cordo said:
Can arcady or anyone give me any details on how KoK fits the ramifications of magic into it the setting and it's social fabric? I think that was one point IC made that arcady rebuffed, and I'm interested in hearing details.

Basically, I'd say it depends on what area you're talking about. Outside of the cities, out in the country, arcane magic is more likely to be mistaken for divine magic, and the wielder of such magic a speaker for a/the god(s).

Even so, you won't typically see magicians just hanging out in the city street. Most spellcasters will work for the church, the College of Magic, or for the nobles/army, and so on. As such, the PCs may not encounter them often. Assuming they're not NPC adventurers or villains, of course. :)

Iron_Chef

First Post
mattcolville said:
Right, but it say "Kalamar" right there on the cover, yes? Kalamar, the setting. That so much content is "exportable" is not relevant to the success of the book, as it's not a Export book, it's a PHB for a specific setting. If someone passes it by thinking "I don't want to play Kalamar," it can only be because KenzerCo set it up to be thus.

Point well made. IMO, Kenzer would have made the KKPG a bigger, more enduring sales hit by advertising it as a variant Player's Handbook (which is really what it almost is) rather than a "KoK only" type book. It's still a great book, though, and one of the main reasons I like to flip through products for settings I don't want to buy, hoping I'll find another KKPG for exporting to other settings.

GrimJesta

First Post
Right, but it say "Kalamar" right there on the cover, yes? Kalamar, the setting. That so much content is "exportable" is not relevant to the success of the book, as it's not a Export book, it's a PHB for a specific setting. If someone passes it by thinking "I don't want to play Kalamar," it can only be because KenzerCo set it up to be thus.

Yea but the fact that it says Corebook IV on the cover shows that its one of the core D&D3e books as well, suitable for use in any setting like the PHB, DMG, and MM.

<shrug>

-=Grim=-

Treebore

First Post
GrimJesta said:
Yea but the fact that it says Corebook IV on the cover shows that its one of the core D&D3e books as well, suitable for use in any setting like the PHB, DMG, and MM.

<shrug>

-=Grim=-

How is someone not familiar with the books going to realize that. I own the books and didn't realize that it was Core Rule Book IV in relation to the PHB, DMG, and MM by WOTC. I thought it was in relation to the Kalamar Sourcebook, Atlas, and their MM, even though they aren't labeled as Core Rulebooks. So this insight causes a major shift in how i look at that book, and i have had it for 2 or more years.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
GrimJesta said:

Careful.

It says "Rulebook IV".

The PHB is "Core Rulebook I".
The DMG is "Core Rulebook II".
The MM is "Core Rulebook III".

The KPG is "Rulebook IV". It is not Core.

-Hyp.

Faraer

Explorer
Treebore said:
Haven't the FR fans noticed that the newest Kalamar product is written by the father of the FR's?
Some, but not all because 1. TSR/WotC have worked for decades to promote brands and logos at the expense of authors of game products, and 2. most RPG players, even regular RPG buyers, are little aware of the whole d20 landscape -- and it doesn't help that Ed's not got his website up yet, though things are bubbling on that front. I certainly bought the excellent Geanavue sight unseen and will be getting Loona -- and Castlemorn -- similarly.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads