• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kalashtar Racial Memory Feats

SteelDraco

First Post
A while back, I mentioned that kalashtar IMC have some ancestral memory mechanics. I was contacted off-forum about them, and asked for details. After I got Races of Eberron, I fiddled with them somewhat to make them more in line with that book. Here are the results. Let me know what you think, both balance and flavor-wise.

• Recall the Past
    • Deep Recollection
      • Ancestral Advice
        • Ancestral Memories
      • Battlefield Recollection
    • Hatred of the Ages
    • Mystic Hatred of the Ages
    • Path of the Blood

Recall the Past [Psionic, Racial]
You are capable of reaching into the well of memory that all kalashtar of your bloodline share. In times of need, you can recall the skills of those who have passed their memories into the quori spirits of your people.
Prerequisite: Kalashtar race
Benefit: Once per day, you can gain a +2 racial bonus on a skill. This bonus allows you to attempt to roll on an untrained skill, even if you don’t have any ranks in it. Activating this ability takes a full-round action, and the bonus lasts for one minute.

Deep Recollection [Psionic, Racial]
You can reach deeper into the well of the past than most kalashtar.
Prerequisite: Recall the Past, Kalashtar race
Benefit: The benefit you gain from the Recall the Past feat increases to +4, and you can use the ability twice per day. You cannot gain the benefit of this ability on two different skills at the same time. If you activate it again while a previous one is still active, only the most recent bonus applies.
Special: You may take this feat more than once. Each time you do, you gain two additional daily uses.

Ancestral Advice [Psionic, Racial]
You have learned to ask advice from the collective wisdom of your bloodline.
Prerequisite: Recall the Past, Deep Recollection, Kalashtar race
Benefit: Once per day, you can spend a full minute in meditation to ask advice from your bloodline. Initially, they provide you with a response equivalent to an Augury spell cast at your character level. At 9th level, this ability increases to mimic a Divination spell.

Ancestral Memories [Psionic, Racial]
You can recall a wide variety of memories from the wisdom of your bloodline.
Prequisite: Recall the Past, Deep Recollection, Ancestral Advice, Concentration 15 ranks, Kalashtar race
Benefit: When using your Ancestral Advice ability, you have the option of delving much deeper into the past and recalling all manner of lore about a specific person, place, or thing, replicating the effects of a Legend Lore spell. Using this ability requires a full hour of uninterrupted meditation, and can only be attempted once per week.

Battlefield Recollection [Psionic, Racial]
Your connection to your bloodline allows you to emulate their talents on the battlefield.
Prerequisites: Recall the Past, Deep Recollection, BAB +5, Kalashtar race
Benefit: You can expend one of your daily uses of Deep Recollection to attempt to recall a battlefield technique known by your bloodline. Doing so requires a full action and a DC 20 Concentration check. If successful, you may select one feat from the Fighter or Psychic Warrior bonus feat list that you qualify for, and gain the benefits of it for one minute. If you fail the Concentration check, you expend one use of Deep Recollection to no effect. You may only gain one feat at a time using this ability; using it again causes the previous activation to end immediately.

Hatred of the Ages [Psionic, Racial]
The fury of millennia of conflict with the Inspired burns bright within you.
Benefit: You gain a +2 bonus on Bluff, Listen, Sense Motive, Spot, and Survival checks when using these skills against the Inspired or their quori masters. In addition, you gain a +2 bonus on weapon damage rolls against such creatures. This ability counts as the ranger favored enemy power for the purposes of prerequisites for other abilities, feats, and prestige classes.

Mystic Hatred of the Ages [Psionic, Racial]
You have learned to channel your hatred of the Inspired into your mystical energies.
Prerequisite: Recall the Past, spellcasting or psionic level 1+, Kalashtar race
Benefit: Your spells and psionic powers gain a +1 bonus to the DC when used against Inspired or quori spirits. In addition, the damage dealt by your spells is increased by your primary spellcasting or psionic stat modifier against such targets.
For example, a kalashtar wizard with a 16 Intelligence casts fireball at a group of thugs and their Inspired leader. The normal save DC for the thugs would be 16 (10 + spell level 3 + stat modifier +3), for 18 damage, with 9 on a successful save. The Inspired target saves against a DC of 17, and takes 21 damage, 10 on a successful save.
Special: A kalashtar wizard can take this as one of his bonus feats.

Path of the Blood [Psionic, Racial]
Each kalashtar bloodline is descended from a single quori spirit, and thus has certain personality traits and tendencies in common. You have learned to follow the path of your bloodline, and can channel that drive in a specific direction.
Benefit: You gain an additional favored class, in addition to psion.
Special: DMs are encouraged to be flexible in determining which bloodlines grant which favored class. In general, allow PCs to make their own decisions in this regard, and then record it for later use, rather than deciding beforehand what their bloodline’s tendencies are.

Lord Morte

First Post
SteelDraco said:
Deep Recollection [Psionic, Racial]
You can reach deeper into the well of the past than most kalashtar.
Benefit: The benefit you gain from the Recall the Past feat increases to +4, and you can use the ability twice per day. You cannot gain the benefit of this ability on two different skills at the same time. If you activate it again while a previous one is still active, only the most recent bonus applies.
Special: You may take this feat more than once. Each time you do, you gain two additional daily uses.
I'd only allow one additional daily use when you take the feat the second time.

SteelDraco said:
Battlefield Recollection [Psionic, Racial]
Your connection to your bloodline allows you to emulate their talents on the battlefield.
Prerequisites: Recall the Past, Deep Recollection, BAB +5, Kalashtar race
Benefit: You can expend one of your daily uses of Deep Recollection to attempt to recall a battlefield technique known by your bloodline. Doing so requires a full action and a DC 20 Concentration check. If successful, you may select one feat from the Fighter or Psychic Warrior bonus feat list that you qualify for, and gain the benefits of it for one minute. If you fail the Concentration check, you expend one use of Deep Recollection to no effect. You may only gain one feat at a time using this ability; using it again causes the previous activation to end immediately.
And this feat just gives me the heebie-jeebies for some reason :\ Part of my mind just doesn't like the idea of a feat that lets you use other feats. But it actually seems balanced at second glance. Nice steep requirements and diffiuclt to use.

In all, they look like good feats. My only thought is that Path of Blood seems a bit 'blah'. Extra favoured class is nice, but not great.

Firael

First Post
Well I like the Path of Blood. IMHO It's a excelent addition to those Aristocrat/Psion/Rogue/Fighters/Mages/X combinations. An Additional Favored class holds more power than you think.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads