D&D 5E Kate Welch has left WotC

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
Ghosts of Saltmarsh is really good. I’m sorry we won’t see more WotC stuff from her.

I find it hard to believe the departure is voluntary on her part, simply because it seems like a very unlikely time, economically, to leave a steady gig like that without a clear destination in mind.

MwaO

Adventurer
Not for nothing, but if you're a D&D designer in Seattle, odds are you might have other options that pay a lot more than WotC...

Greg Bilsland is now Head of Launch Marketing of Amazon Web Services as an example.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
I wonder if the "not sure what comes next" part implies that she was fired or that she left because she wanted out of the company. That was my first impression.

I hope that it is more of "there are so many opportunities available, I don't know which one to go for first."

I doubt she was fired, she had a pretty strong presence in their whole Rime of the Frostwind shows. Also the work she has put out (GoS, R&M) sold pretty well so her design performance has been good.

It is possible (and this is just speculation) that the Orion Black situation has left a bad taste for other employees right now. Meaning that how the company has handled those issues (and the issues of sexism/mysogyny/racism in RPGs) may be "too little too late" for some employees. Welch pointed out some especially sharp criticism for Myke Cole on these issues, so she likely feels quite strongly about them.

I doubt she was fired, she had a pretty strong presence in their whole Rime of the Frostwind shows. Also the work she has put out (GoS, R&M) sold pretty well so her design performance has been good.

It is possible (and this is just speculation) that the Orion Black situation has left a bad taste for other employees right now. Meaning that how the company has handled those issues (and the issues of sexism/mysogyny/racism in RPGs) may be "too little too late" for some employees. Welch pointed out some especially sharp criticism for Myke Cole on these issues, so she likely feels quite strongly about them.
is this going to be another "Mike Mearls is locked in a WotC dungeon thread"? Guys, sometimes people move on after a few years in a job even if nothing goes wrong.

cmad1977

Hero
is this going to be another "Mike Mearls is locked in a WotC dungeon thread"? Guys, sometimes people move on after a few years in a job even if nothing goes wrong.

Yeah. Odds are she’s just... “done”. She’s had a successful run at a business and is going to parley that into another, better job for her.

Or she’s gonna take a vacation.

Remove ads