[KAUAI]The Rod of Seven Parts: Of Hexes and Gems

Rino

First Post
CanadienneBacon said:
Vaja places the ale in front of Dter with a smile. "Good Afternoon, Priest." Vaja opens her mouth to ask something of the dwarf but breaks off as Brakkus enters.

when Vaja returned from his conversation with the man who just walked in

So Vaja, am I less important then a guy that just walked in and didn't even order yet then a priest that just got a beer?

Ambrus

Explorer
Maelicent watches the other patrons attentively, taking occasional sips from his drinking horn. As he often did, the young goblin suspected that there must be something more going on in the hall then what was immediately observable. How did such simple seeming beings develop their earth-shaking power while apparently doing little more than sitting around, drinking and chatting every evening? Maelicent had tried to follow their example; both drinking and occasionally approaching various giant-kin to attempt peaceable parlay. So far the Gudwulf's efforts had born little more than scorn from these strangers and debilitating illness from the drink. The elf-woman, who's bow he'd been studying, approached the misshapen dwarf-man he'd tried speaking to a few days earlier. Were they covertly sharing the secrets for throwing thunderbolts at enemies or simply discussing the quality of the hall's brew as he and the dwarf had done? Should he try to join them in conversation? Would they then reveal to him the means by which he could clothe himself in protective flames that burnt his enemies but not himsef?

Maelicent sighed and emptied his drinking horn's contents back into his bucket. At a nearby hut-table the odd games-player he'd approached last week seemed to be involved in some type of dispute between one of the straw-haired wall-workers and another giant-kin. For a moment the goblin hoped that the situation would escalate and come to blows. Perhaps then he'd see a worthwhile display of mystical adventurer magic! A few more moments of observation however led Maelicent to suspect that that would be an unlikely conclusion to the matter. All this talking and drinking never seemed to lead to anything! The proud warrior was almost tempted to fire a few arrows into the crowd in hopes of provoking some type of armed response; something he might attempt if he knew it wouldn't likely lead to his own demise. No. That wasn't right. If he was to learn their secrets he'd have to play the adventurers' game their way. Maelicent dipped his drinking horn into his bucket of ale and quickly swallowed a few mouthfuls to help steel his resolve. He'd have to try talking to them again. Even if that didn't work, the resourceful goblin could at least try to get a closer look at that bow...

Picking up his bucket, Maelicent stands and deftly makes his way into the forest of legs. Steping into the shadow of a giant-kin, the nimble goblin makes a half-turn to place himself in a position to be obscured by the billowing folds of a passerby's cloak. Quickly falling into step with the moving giant-kin, Maelicent weaves his way through the crowd and lithely switches direction when the person he was following turns away. Taking the opportunity, the Gudwulf warrior ducks into the shadowy gap between the overhang of the stone-wall and the line of ladder-platforms propping up the perching giant-kin drinkers there. Slowly, Maelicent moves past the tangle of giant-kin legs on his left-hand side to discreetly approach the elf-woman and dwarf-man unseen to get a closer look at the bow and quiver of arrows.

Argent Silvermage

First Post
Rushing. It seemed he was always rushing. Pilgrim danced between the legs of the Patrons of the Golden Cockatrice startling many but keeping out of harms way the entire time. Tassomyre had ordered him from home to watch over the "Good Wolf" Whatever that was. Now in the week or so that he has been in this city he has learned two major things. One is that His dragon liege may be asking too much of him, and that the "good Wolf" is anything but good.
Keeping up with the goblin has been trying as Pilgrim is not the stealthiest of Kobolds and of course that fact that he's a Kobold in this human town makes him stick out just as much as a goblin here.
He watched as the goblin made a play to intercept an elven archer and assuming he is up to no good intercepts her. He stands before her in his finest tabard of dull gray and sky blue cloth his scales polished to a nice red-gold shine "Salutations Mistress. I am Pilgrim. What brings you to Teggest? He holds out his hands for her to see he carries no weapons just his backpack and clothing.

Gamad

Seeing the goblin approaching the table and taking a spot not far, Gamad recalls him, he tried to speak to me a few days earlier.
The misshapen dwarf raises his distorted hand in greeting while waiting to the elven to repeat her question.
Although both creatures suppose to be sworn enemies, the two figures share more than a lot in those present times.
A being that is sharing the same thought like me.
Thinks the dwarf and turns his look to the kobold that approaches the table.
Another one … oh well, that place was weird enough to pack a dwarf, a goblin and a kobold in the same room, not to speak about the cockatrices back in the coop.

Vaja looks at H. Lewit with surprise then mutely juts out her right hand to accept Lewit's eight gold crowns. "Ye've bought yerself a friend, it seems, Rancid." The blonde barkeep flips Lewit's coins around, making a show of examining them for authenticity. Satisfied, Vaja reluctantly nods first at Rancid then at Lewit. "My thanks. Consider the debt paid, Rancid. But ye'll no run a tab in the 'Trice again." With that, Vaja curtly turns from the chess table and returns to the bar where she joins Frane in washing clay ale tankards. The pair whisper together and Frane grunts in Lewit's direction.

For his part, Rancid looks shiftily around the room then extracts what appears to be a wand crafted of smooth lusterless black metal. At fully fourteen inches in length, the wand causes Rancid a small degree of consternation as he fights, largely unsuccessfully, to discretely pull out the wand from the inside of his billowy shirt sleeve. Once out, Rancid places the black wand on the chess table, knocking aside two black pawns in the process. With one hand placed protectively across the middle of the black wand, Rancid offers, "You want yer healing now or later, good Sir?" Lewit notes that the wand only seems to be over a foot long--really, it looks as if someone has affixed a ten inch piece of ebony to the tip of a very short piece of the lusterless black metal.

The elf woman looks confusedly at Gamad as he mutters, "What?!" in dwarvish. When Gamad switches to common, the elf only shakes her head in apparent non-understanding and shrugs. With a plaintive look in Vaja's direction, the elf frowns at Gamad then moves briskly away from the stunted albino dwarf.

Back at the bar, Vaja arches an eyebrow at Dter's brusque query then goodnaturedly offers a reply. "You're far too sage a dwarf for the likes of my company, good Priest." With an elbow wet with dishwater pointed in Brakkus's general direction and a wink, Vaja continues, "But that big brute, now there's a simple man what as might be me ticket."

Noticing the elf woman who struggles in conversation with Gamad, Vaja sighs with a bit of laugh. "An elf who only speaks elvish askin' a dwarf who tries to pretend he speaks only dwarvish fer help. It takes all kinds to make this place run, it seems." Wiping her hands on a clean bar linen, Vaja nods at the custom seated at the bar. "'Scuse me a second time, gents. Lynnya's in over her head over there with Gamad, so I'm to the rescue." Vaja gestures to the elf woman to join her a discrete distance from the bar and the two are soon engaged in a conversation in elvish.

Maelicent, who had scuttled to the bar to get a better look at the elf woman's bow and quiver of arrows, finds his efforts stymied as Lynnya joins the blonde barkeep in quiet conversation. Before the elf quit the bar, however, Maelicent caught the glint of silvered steel beneath the elf's outer clothing. From his perch among the ladder rungs, Maelicent's keen eyes made out the shimmer of what surely must have been finely wrought metal armor of rings so small and fluid they seemed a pool of silver. Crafted of wood instead of the more familiar horn, the elf's bow seemed flimsy but well-aged...old, even. The arrows in her quiver, all of them done with grey hawk feathers, seemed ordinary enough.

Pilgrim, moving to truncate Vaja and the elf woman's conversation, offers a bold salutation in common. A crooked smile at play on her face, Vaja stops mid-sentence in elvish to address the small kobold knight. "And a hearty welcome to you, Good Sir Knight! You're not likely to get a reply from Lynnya here, not unless you offer your question in elvish." Vaja jerks a nod in the elf woman's direction and continues in common. "She do no speak the common tongue. But good sun to you nevertheless, Pilgrim." Lynnya places a hand on Vaja's forearm to get the barkeep's attention. In quiet elvish with a nod at the kobold knight before them, Lynnya asks something of Vaja that seems to elicit surprise.

[sblock=Elvish] "A knight of Bahamut, and a kobold? Your city offers stranger wonders that even Old Thierna in the yester years. Does he speak my tongue? More importantly, ask him if he knows of work for me. I'm in sore need of coin since the caravan I was with was marauded." [/sblock]

Vaja listens intently to the woman then turns to Pilgrim. "Her name is Lynnya. She asks of employ, whether you have any to offer or know of anyone who is in need. She's a skilled woodsman, deft with her bow and blade, and knows aught of tracking. I can vouch for her skill and honesty, both. She's brought me and Frane to safety five years running on our annual travels to Daroln." Vaja coughs and hesitates a touch before continuing. With an uncertain look at Lynnya, Vaja continues. "She's out of work because the last bunch she was with, a caravan enroute to the city, was hit by a rogue band of thugs."

Last edited:

[OOC: I prefer is ya'll use the Talking the Talk OOC thread to ask OOC questions, as it cleans up our IC thread. I check the OOC all the time.]

No, his tone is not threatening. It's more wheedling, trying to get out of a bargain struck.

Argent Silvermage

First Post
Blushing at his apparent social laps. Pilgrim bows to the ladies and addresses them. "If I may be so bold milady. If these Brigands have been active for over five years then it's time they were stopped. Is there no millitia here in Teggest to deal with such skallywags?"

Replying to Pilgrim, Vaja says, "No, good Sir. 'Tis not in the city, but out. Lynnya privately told me yesterday that their party of wagoneers was waylaid. The city guard can't be to blame for that."

Remove ads