Keep on the Shadowfell Anticlimax(some spoilers)

We just finished Keep on the Shadowfell. Going into the final battle:

1. We had six players: 2 Paladins--1 Str, 1 Cha, Infernal Warlock, Archer Ranger, Laser Cleric, and Staff Wizard
2. They knocked three enemies into the hole during the previous battle, two of which survived the fall. They each spent a healing surge and were present for this battle.
3. The Cleric and Warlock fell while trying to descend, and began the battle prone and bloodied.
4. I added a second Deathlock to account for the extra character. The people they knocked into the hole were their problem.

The battle started off with one Paladin taking on the Berserker(fell down the hole, almost at full HP), and the other advancing towards the skeletons, underpriest(fell in the hole, bloodied). The Wizard was in good shape and spent his first turn getting out of the blood after watching the Paladins fall, while the Ranger moved over to the Deathlocks. The Cleric and Warlock spent the first two turns or so getting up and gathering themselves.

The reason this fight became anticlimatic was that the Wizard managed to drop Sleep on the two Skeletal Warriors and the Orcus Underpriest, hitting all three. The Underpriest saved on his first chance, but the Skeletal Warriors failed to move adjacent to a party member thanks to being slowed, and then did not save. One was destroyed by the Wizard(with Staff) and one hit from the Paladin who defeated the Human Berserker(with some help from the Warlock) before it ever woke up, and the other awoke three rounds later with 5hp(One of the Paladins was beating on it until he went after Kalarel instead), and only a Bloodied Kalarel and the two Deathlocks were still alive.

I've heard a lot of people had trouble with this battle, but even adding two enemies from the previous battle who were knocked down the hole, the Wizard getting lucky with Sleep just ended this.

Boarstorm

First Post
Two of my players jumped into the portal on the second round of the combat to "bring the fight to the enemy."

Needless to say, the battle with Kalaral was anticlimactic for my group in a whole different way.

Wormwood

Adventurer
Two of my players jumped into the portal on the second round of the combat to "bring the fight to the enemy."

Needless to say, the battle with Kalaral was anticlimactic for my group in a whole different way.
LOL! Perfect!

Actually, thanks to your post I'm reconsidering my plan to change the appearance of the Thing in the Portal into Orcus's Grasping Arm.

That might be *too* tempting for some of my players. ;)

Terwox

First Post
LOL! Perfect!

Actually, thanks to your post I'm reconsidering my plan to change the appearance of the Thing in the Portal into Orcus's Grasping Arm.

That might be *too* tempting for some of my players. ;)

Holy crap, I'm going to do that. That's very cool.

lior_shapira

Explorer
We finished the adventure too this week and our last battle was also anti-climatic! We managed to push almost everyone down the hole, excluding the under-pries who jumped in realizing he was the last one standing.

When we descended we faced the two skeletons, Kalarel, the underpriest and one more undead (don't remember the type). For some reason the synergy between our opponents didn't work well, while we concentrated all our firepower on Kalarel, ignoring everyone else.

The strategy worked good and we killed him pretty fast, but it created a strange situation where the BBEG is dead, and his minions (I feel weird using that word for people with >1hp) are still alive and fighting.

All in all it was a disappointing fight to finish our first 4e adventure, and KoTS in general was a very badly written module, but still we had a lot of fun.

Remove ads