• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Keep on the Shadowfell Character Errata Thread

kouk

First Post
As an exercise in learning the rules and going over character creation, I reviewed the pregenerated characters from Keep on the Shadowfell to find all the mistakes. I figure this belongs in the Rules forum because there are frequently questions about those pregen characters here.

This was originally posted on the Gleemax boards, but someone said that they cannot access there for whatever reason, and others may simply never actually go there to look :p. If you want to see the original thread, you can find it at this link: http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?p=16165243#post16165243
I've changed the formatting and adjusted some of the language to reflect the new thread being here.

Here are my results. You can find the pregen characters here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4dnd/20080616a

Many issues can be addressed by checking the official Keep on the Shadowfell FAQ.
You can access by clicking the ‘Help’ tab on the bottom left of the main D&D website, and searching for “Keep,” or use this link: http://wizards.custhelp.com/cgi-bin...3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PWtlZXAgb24*&p_li=&p_topview=1

[sblock=Dragonborn Paladin]
Defenses should be AC: 20, Fort 15, Ref 13, Will 14
The sheet apparently did not take into account the Paladin’s +1 bonus on F/R/W defenses.

Lay on Hands: The Dragonborn Paladin has the feat Healing Hands, which adds his Charisma Mod (+3) to his Lay on Hands healing. The sheet says that it is already included, but it is not, so remember to add +3 HP each time you use Lay on Hands on an ally. A strict reading might interpret that the Paladin only gets the benefit of Healing Hands feat for allies, though the pregen sheet uses language which suggests any target can benefit. Ask your DM if there is a concern. The FAQ clarifies that a Paladin can use Lay on Hands on himself, but not specifically the benefits of Healing Hands.

Dragon Breath: Attack roll should be +6 vs. Reflex at level 1. The example character apparently forgot to add the +2 bonus that is a natural part of the Dragon Breath power (Str bonus with an additional +2 in this case). Damage is correct though.

Channel Divinity: Divine Strength is not incorrect. However, a Paladin using the full rules would also gain a second Channel Divinity power, Channel Divinity: Divine Mettle. That power can be found in the Paladin class description, Player's Handbook page 91.

Keep in mind though that a Paladin can only use one of these in a single encounter: once he uses one, the other cannot be used during the encounter, but the next encounter he can choose again.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Dwarf Fighter]
Ranged Basic Attack (Dagger) should be attack bonus +4 at level 1 (Dex (+1), Dagger proficiency (+3)). Note that if used as a melee weapon his MELEE attack bonus with the dagger would be +6 vs. AC, and damage would be 1d4 + 3.

Brute Strike: Note: In the Player's Handbook, the Brute Strike power does not include a line about what happens on a miss. The power works no differently however; the Reliable keyword at the top automatically means that on a miss the power is not expended. The KotSF character sheet simply states this in clearer terms.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Half-Elf Cleric]
Missing Encounter Power: The Half-Elf Cleric is missing a level 1 At-Will power. As a Half-Elf, he should gain the level 1 At-Will attack power of a class of his choice (not counting Cleric) due to his Dilettante racial ability. See the Keep on the Shadowfell FAQ. The FAQ used to include a picture of the power with its description, but after they moved their around site a bit it doesn’t display (at least not for me). The power recommended though would read as follows at level 1:

Bolstering Strike _ Paladin Attack 1
You attack your foe without mercy or reprieve, and your accuracy
is rewarded with a divine gift of vigor.

Encounter <> Divine, Weapon
Standard Action _ Melee weapon
Target: One creature
Attack: +5 vs. AC
Hit: 1d8 + 3 damage, and you gain 3 temporary
hit points.

Note that while normally Bolstering Strike is an At-Will power for a Paladin, because it was gained by the Half-Elf racial Dilettante feature, it is only usable by the Half-Elf Cleric as an encounter power.

Healing Word: There is not really a mistake, however, make sure that when using the Healing Word the player adds 3 to the amount healed due to his Healing Lore class feature. EDIT: The Healing Lore feature applies to any power with the Healing keyword, which also grants a +3 bonus to his Healing Strike, Beacon of Hope, and Cure Light Wounds powers; so remember to add it to those too.

Skills: The Cleric’s -1 armor check penalty (Chainmail) was not counted in the stats. EDIT: In addition I will note the skills which were updated in the FAQ -- Diplomacy and Insight -- which the pregen character neglected to add his Racial Bonus to.

Acrobatics modifier should be -1.

Athletics should be +0.

Diplomacy should be +5.

Endurance
should be +1.

Insight should be +5.

Stealth should be -1.

Thievery should be -1.

Missing Class Feature: Ritual Casting.
In the full version of the rules, Clerics get the Ritual Caster feat for free. This provides them with a Ritual book and two Rituals known: one is Gentle Repose, and the other is the player’s choice of one first level Ritual. Rituals are beyond the scope of the Keep on the Shadowfell adventure I feel, and are not necessary to complete it.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Halfling Rogue]
Positioning Strike: The power’s damage should read 1d4 + 4 damage, not 2d4 +4. Positioning Strike only deals 1 times weapon damage.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Human Wizard]
Will Defense: should be 14 (10 base + Wis (+1), Human (+1), Class (+2))

Quarterstaff: Not an error, but a note for new players. To attack with the Quarterstaff, the Wizard would need both hands free, so he could not be holding anything else besides the staff (typically the Wand implement). He can hold the staff and the Wand at the same time, but only use the Wand implement for his Wand of Accuracy ability.

Cantrips: In the full game, the Wizard class would actually have an additional 2 Cantrip At-Will powers, Mage Hand and Prestidigitation. I will not reproduce these here, but if you want you can add those in. They will not really adversely affect the adventurers’ performance in KotSF.

Missing Class Feature: Ritual Casting. In the full version of the rules, Wizards get the Ritual Caster feat for free. This provides them with three Rituals known, of the player’s choice of first level Rituals (kept in the Wizard’s Spellbook). Rituals are beyond the scope of the Keep on the Shadowfell adventure I feel, and are not necessary to complete it.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Tiefling Warlord]

Ability Scores: Not necessarily an error, but a note. The Tiefling Warlord character seems to have used the Method 2: Customizing Ability Scores method for stat generation (see PHB page 17) whereas the other characters appear to have only used the Method 1: Standard Array method of stat generation. The Customizing method can result in the same scores as the Array method, so you could also take it as all the other characters also used the Customization method, but simply chose the same stats as the Standard Array :p

Defenses: Reflex Defense should be 15, not 14. Reflex Defense = Base 10 + INT mod (+4) + Shield bonus (+1). Note: This assumes the Warlord is using his shield. If he takes it off (to use his crossbow fully) then it will be 14.

Initiative: Technically, the +0 Initiative is correct. However, keep in mind that with the Warlord’s Tactical Presence ability, he always grants himself a +2 bonus on Initiative checks (as well as all allies within 10 squares). He might not grant himself the bonus to initiative if he is unable to see and hear himself, but if that is the case, combat has probably been going on for a while already.

Steel Monsoon: There seems to have been some confusion with where the Int bonus should have gone. According to the PHB, Steel Monsoon’s “Hit” description should read like so:

Hit: 2d8 + 3 damage, and four allies within 5 squares of you can shift 1 square.
Because the Warlord has Tactical Presence, the number of allies which can shift is equal to his INT modifier (+4). The example character seems to have taken that +4, and instead applied it as extra squares that an ally can move, which is incorrect.
[/sblock]

Here are the two "bonus" character provided with the article Playing Warforged (note: only one is Warforged): http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20080606b

[sblock=Longtooth Shifter Cleric]
Speed: The Longtooth Shifter Cleric’s speed should be 5, not 6. He is wearing Chainmail (they call it chain armor for some reason) which reduces speed to 5.

Sacred Flame: Damage should be 1d6 + 4 radiant damage. The extra damage is based on Wisdom mod (+4 for this character). Also, the Temporary HP granted at first level would be only 1 HP rather than 4. Temporary HP from this power are based on Charisma mod (+1) plus ½ level. At level 2, the Temp. HP that could be granted will increase to 2.

Channel Divinity: Turn Undead: The Longtooth Shifter’s Turn Undead should only push 4 squares, not 5. Distance pushed is equal to 3 + Charisma mod (+1).

Healing Word: There is not really a mistake, however, make sure that when using the Healing Word the player adds 3 to the amount healed due to his Healing Lore class feature.

Skills: Arcana skill should be denoted as Trained, and not Athletics. The Arcana skill bonus reinforces this, and Athletics is not even an option for a Cleric to train by default.

Athletic skill bonus should be +4 {Strength (+3), Race (+2), Armor check (-1)}.

Bluff skill bonus should be +1 {Charisma mod (+1)}.

Diplomacy skill should be +6 {Charisma mod (+1), Trained (+5)}

Endurance skill should be +2 {Constitution mod (+1), Racial {+2), Armor check (-1)}.

Intimidate skill should be +1 {Charisma mod (+1)}.

Streetwise skill should be +1 {Charisma mod (+1)}.

Gear: The Longtooth Shifter Cleric does not actually have Javelins (unless the DM would like to say he has them as well). I believe the intent was to state the range of the Crossbow (15/30) rather than ranges for Javelins. Javelins would deal more damage and be more accurate based on the high Strength this Cleric has, so it is up to the DM to switch whether the Cleric has a Crossbow or Javelins (he will find plenty of Javelins though). If given Javelins, the attack bonus would be +5 vs. AC, and damage would be 1d6 +3.

Level 2 feat: Skill Focus. Note: Specifically, this is Skill Focus (Heal).

Missing Class Feature: Ritual Casting. In the full version of the rules, Clerics get the Ritual Caster feat for free. This provides them with a Ritual book and two Rituals known, 1 is Gentle Repose, and the other is the player’s choice of first level Rituals. Rituals are beyond the scope of the Keep on the Shadowfell adventure I feel, and are not necessary to complete it.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Warforged Paladin]
The Warforged Paladin makes use of the altered/expanded rules presented in “Playing Warforged” http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/drfe/20080606b
(Note that in the full version of Dragon 364, some aspects of the article were altered.)
This explains many of the differences compared to the Warforged entry in the Monster Manual.

Hit Points: The Warforged Paladin should have 29 hit points, not 27. Paladin HP is 15 + Con score, which would yield 29. Several calculations relating to HP are wrong.
Level 1: Increase HP to 29. Increase Bloodied value to 14. Increase Healing Surge value to 7.
Level 2: Increase HP to 35. Increase Bloodied value to 17. Increase Healing Surge value to 8.
Level 3: Increase HP to 41. Increase Bloodied value to 20. Increase Healing Surge value to 10.

Speed: Should be speed 5. See note on Defenses.

Defenses: AC: This character’s equipment list is not provided (for some reason). To achieve an AC of 20 however, and by the skill check penalties he takes, we can assume that he is wearing Plate Armor and using a Heavy Shield (the heavy shield also explains his Reflex defense). If he is armored like that, then you need to change his speed to 5, because he is using Heavy Armor. Even if it was an attached component, there is nothing about reducing speed penalties for armor, only the encumbrance from weight.

Gear: Equipment list was not provided for this character. However, the character apparently has Plate Armor, Heavy Shield, Battleaxe, and Javelin (presumably 3 like the Dragonborn, but at least 1). It is probably safe to assume he also has the entire Adventurer's kit that all other example characters have, and a Holy Symbol of some deity, and presumably 5gp (like the Dragonborn Paladin). Note that this would exceed the normal 100gp starting gold explained in the Player's Handbook, but several other KotSF characters exceed that amount as well, including the Dragonborn Paladin.

Javelin Basic Attack: Just a note, the Javelin has a range of 10/20.

Holy Strike: Not an error with the power itself, but see below about the Ability Scores.

Warforged Resolve encounter power. Not an error, but a note: This character uses the version of Warforged Resolve from the article Playing Warforged. This version of Warforged Resolve is not the same as appears in the Monster Manual. Apparently, for PCs it is felt they should use the upgraded version, where in the Monster Manual the Warforged Resolve is much weaker, I assume for NPC Warforged.

Channel Divinity: As with the Dragonborn Paladin, a Paladin using the full rules would also get Channel Divinity: Divine Mettle (PHB 91).

Keep in mind though that a Paladin can only use one of these in a single encounter: once he uses one, the other cannot be used during the encounter, but the next encounter he can choose again.

Skills: Endurance should be +5 {Con (+2), Race (+2), Trained (+5), Armor check penalty (-4)}.
Heal should be +6 {Wis (+1), Trained (+5)}.

Level 2 Feat: Weapon Focus. Note: Specifically, this is Weapon Focus for Axes. Any axe wielded will get the +1 bonus, not just battleaxes (assuming he finds a different kind of axe and uses it).

Ability Scores: The scores themselves are correct. However, the Check Modifier for Wisdom should be +1, because Wisdom 13 only grants a +1 bonus. The +2 is most likely a typo error.
[/sblock]

If anyone finds a mistake or wants to know how I calculated something, please post to the thread so I can correct the stats. I have no plans to go over the entire adventure.

Last edited:

Azza

First Post
We played this last night. I think you might have missed the Half Elf's racial bonus on diplomacy and insight. skill bonus should be +5, not +3

LevelJumper

First Post
I was looking at the dwarf fighter and I can't see how they figured his fortitude save at a 15. Based on the math I'm doing, I'm only coming up with 13. Am I missing a bonus here?

Also, should the Wizard's AC not be 13 instead of 14?

Last edited:

Center-of-All

First Post
Probably, it seems fine to me.

10 (base) + 3 (Constitution) + 2 (Fighter) = 15

And the wizard's Intelligence modifier is +4, resulting in AC 14.

Last edited:

kouk

First Post
We played this last night. I think you might have missed the Half Elf's racial bonus on diplomacy and insight. skill bonus should be +5, not +3

That issue was addressed in the official FAQ, which I linked at the top right above the Dragonborn Paladin. I only wrote up things that were not mentioned in any official document.

BartD

First Post
That issue was addressed in the official FAQ, which I linked at the top right above the Dragonborn Paladin. I only wrote up things that were not mentioned in any official document.
But it would be nice and more useful to have all the errata in one place, such as here :)

kouk

First Post
But it would be nice and more useful to have all the errata in one place, such as here :)

OK, since it is just the one entry that relates directly to the PC abilities, I will add the Diplomacy (Edit: and Insight) issue.

Added.

Last edited:

Mengu

First Post
Healing Word: There is not really a mistake, however, make sure that when using the Healing Word the player adds 3 to the amount healed due to his Healing Lore class skill.

Also make sure the cleric doesn't forget to add 3 to the amount healed for Healing Strike, Beacon of Hope, and Cure Light Wounds.

Remove ads