• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Keeping track of monsters hp

Scribble

First Post
let me as you would this bother you at all if you rolled for damage and no damage was taken off the monster, and the DM just says - okay- after you roll?

Depends on the game. I know it's a cop out answer, but it's true. I've been in all sorts of games with all sorts of styles.

I will say though that yeah- stuff like that does have a potential to really get annoying, because it removes some of like the player power. Sometimes, if the rest of the game is fun enough then it's not a big deal, but overall the DM has to be really careful with that sort of thing.

Vaeron

Explorer
I agree - it sounds like this is being run more like a storyteller game. There are many fine systems that support that dynamic - D&D isn't really one of them. Or at least, it's slightly dishonest to still call it D&D at that point. If rolls don't matter, then there is no point at even rolling - why maintain the pretense? Just narrate what happens each round. It sounds as if this game has been houseruled to the point that it is merely arbitrary, but only for the DM, whereas players are still expected to be subject to the rules.

I would never play in such a game - and strongly encourage the OP to spare his sanity and drop out if the DM persists.

Mengu

First Post
Perhaps instead of saying "I do 30 points of damage" you could say, I repeatedly jab him in the ribs with my dagger, until he dies. And see how he responds. Perhaps he wants to run more of a storyteller type system rather than D&D.

As long as the style of play is agreed upon, there is no wrong way to do it. It seems your group has a disconnect in the way your DM runs, and the player expectations.

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
Perhaps instead of saying "I do 30 points of damage" you could say, I repeatedly jab him in the ribs with my dagger, until he dies. And see how he responds.
This is what I'd do. "My blade slices through the orc's carotid artery, and I smear its blood spray over my face." Or maybe I'd start using Hollywood stunts that I normally avoid in favor of my class powers. "With a swift pull, I yank the carpet out from under the orc gang's feet!"

Alternatively, if good narration on my part doesn't kill orcs any faster, I'd just ignore combat and find other things to do when it goes down. Since I'm not making those orcs die any faster, I may as well look for secret doors or investigate that statuette in the corner.

The Dead DM

First Post
i agree with you Target. the game DOES cost a bunch of money, and the bottom line is to have FUN - but fun does mean follow the rules at least with the dice - the story can be embellished all to hell, but the roll of the dice IS D&D - and it should stay that way. But I talked to the guy today, and he still doesn't see it my way, but now I've gotten through to the players at least so i think it might sink in. Let's hope.

Remove ads