D&D 5E Keith Baker Presents Closing Doors On Eberron

There's one more Eberron book coming

315887.png

Keith Baker has announced that his Eberron-based publishing company will be ending production after 4 years. The company, led by Eberron creator Keith Baker, produced four incredibly popular books on the Dungeon Master's Guild--Exploring Eberron, Chronicles of Eberron, Dread Metrol, and Eberron Confidential. There is one more book planned--Frontiers of Eberron: Quickstone will be released by Visionary Production and Design who will also be continuing publication of the four existing books.

Eberron is an official D&D world, and was introduced to 5E with Eberron: Rising form the Last War in 2019.

We appreciate all the support and enthusiasm that our fans brought these past four years, and it is with a heavy heart that we must inform you that on June 30, 2023 KB Presents will be closing its doors. It has been a joy and honor to bring you our version of Eberron and we are incredibly proud of what we have created.

As we pursue new challenges and opportunities, we leave the existing works under the stewardship of Visionary Production and Design (https://twitter.com/visionarypnd). This includes the following Dungeon Masters Guild titles:

Exploring Eberron: Exploring Eberron - Dungeon Masters Guild | Dungeon Masters Guild
Chronicles of Eberron: Chronicles of Eberron - Dungeon Masters Guild | Dungeon Masters Guild
Dread Metrol: Dread Metrol: Into the Mists - An Eberron / Ravenloft Crossover - Dungeon Masters Guild | Dungeon Masters Guild
Eberron Confidential: Eberron Confidential - Dungeon Masters Guild | Dungeon Masters Guild

If you would like to continue supporting the former KB Presents production team, you can find us at:

Laura Hirsbrunner, Editor: Laura Hirsbrunner
Imogen Gingell, Designer: Imogen Gingell
Wayne Chang, Producer: Adventuring Zone
Keith Baker, Lead Designer: Twogether Studios

Our final book, Frontiers of Eberron: Quickstone, is slated for release in the latter half of 2023 and will be published under Visionary. We appreciate your taking this journey with us and we look forward to our paths crossing once again.

Thank you!

Yes he did . He was awarded ($100,000* IIRC) for his winning entry. And then paid several times to write content for Eberron (as were other creators by the way).

Yes, he never owned the setting because he sold it away as part of the contest. That’s was clear from the beginning. He knew that going into the contest.

Also, it is within reason to believe that KB is only famous because of his connection to D&D. We may never have gotten Eberron without WotC. He way never have shared his world and talent without the forum D&D gave him.

*PS - Ed was only paid $5000 for Forgotten Realms by TSR and he actually owned it!
This has heavy "daddy WoTC" energy. It's probably hold more water if he didn't have portfolio of award-winning games that aren't d&d related.
So all the 3e stuff not by Baker is just thrown out? What if I don’t give a crap about “canon.”

Should the rule of cool apply here or is that only in game?
Depends on who you are talking about. That's why you generally look for individual/content designer over who's logo is on the spine.
You don't have to individually follow Canon and I've actually recommend that you don't.
for the sake I've established settings however you need coherent and consistent material. Those of us who like to purchase said material it's part of the experience. They don't care about that anymore because the return for it isn't worth the effort. (Which makes them alienating people twice as stupid because they had other people willing to put in the effort and all they had to do is sit back and collect the money) so we won't be buying anymore. They'll probably spend it in a way that it's somehow the customers fault and use that for excuse why they haven't come up with anything new and why the only rebirth setting worth the paper is ERFLW.

This is based on the fact that it's been the only setting that was reintroduced that was well received by the people who already were invested in the setting.

Scribe

Legend
So all the 3e stuff not by Baker is just thrown out? What if I don’t give a crap about “canon.”

Should the rule of cool apply here or is that only in game?

Nobody is going to force you to care about it. My response was to a question of if we (as if there is a singular view) ignore stuff he didnt create, thats all.

I think @Scribe was expressing their personal view. You don't have to agree with it.

Correct.

For me its simple. Eberron is great at being what it is. To me its the only setting of 5e that I would consider a 'complete' setting, with a canonical set of books that would be extremely clear, easy to source, and have as that 'complete' setting. There is massive appeal in that for some folks, myself included.

This has heavy "daddy WoTC" energy. It's probably hold more water if he didn't have portfolio of award-winning games that aren't d&d related.
Does he? I am completely unaware of his work outside of Eberron. Did he get those before or after he became famous from WotC and Eberron?
Depends on who you are talking about. That's why you generally look for individual/content designer over who's logo is on the spine.
Do you mean “I” here? I don’t typically look at the authors of RPG products. Though to be honest the DM buys most of the products not me.
You don't have to individually follow Canon and I've actually recommend that you don't.
for the sake I've established settings however you need coherent and consistent material.
That can be helpful to some, but I wouldn’t say it is needed. There is a value to inconsistency.
Those of us who like to purchase said material it's part of the experience.
Sure, I’ve no issue with that.
They don't care about that anymore because the return for it isn't worth the effort.
You’re losing me here. Who doesn’t care about what? Also, care and caring as much as you want or in the way you want are different things. I bet “they” do care, just not how you want them to care.
(Which makes them alienating people twice as stupid because they had other people willing to put in the effort and all they had to do is sit back and collect the money) so we won't be buying anymore.
Who is “we” and how are “they” alienating people. Sorry, I am just not following you here.
They'll probably spend it in a way that it's somehow the customers fault and use that for excuse why they haven't come up with anything new and why the only rebirth setting worth the paper is ERFLW.
Since WotC doesn’t do spin like this are you talking about fans?
This is based on the fact that it's been the only setting that was reintroduced that was well received by the people who already were invested in the setting.
That is not true. Many fans have liked 5e Ravenloft, Forgotten Realms, and even spelljammer.

Nobody is going to force you to care about it. My response was to a question of if we (as if there is a singular view) ignore stuff he didnt create, thats all.

Correct.

For me its simple. Eberron is great at being what it is. To me its the only setting of 5e that I would consider a 'complete' setting, with a canonical set of books that would be extremely clear, easy to source, and have as that 'complete' setting. There is massive appeal in that for some folks, myself included.
Thanks for the clarification!

However, why stop at what KB worked on? That is less clear and less easy to source than just saying “official” (WotC) content? What about writers you worked on the same books KB worked on? How do you separate why they did and what KB did? Did other writers do a poor job and so they shouldn’t be considered canon?

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Does he? I am completely unaware of his work outside of Eberron. Did he get those before or after he became famous from WotC and Eberron?

Do you mean “I” here? I don’t typically look at the authors of RPG products. Though to be honest the DM buys most of the products not me.

That can be helpful to some, but I wouldn’t say it is needed. There is a value to inconsistency.

You’re losing me here. Who doesn’t care about what? Also, care and caring as much as you want or in the way you want are different things. I bet “they” do care, just not how you want them to care.

Who is “we” and how are “they” alienating people. Sorry, I am just not following you here.

That is not true. Many fans have liked 5e Ravenloft, Forgotten Realms, and even spelljammer.
Many other fans have not.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Thanks for the clarification!

However, why stop at what KB worked on? That is less clear and less easy to source than just saying “official” (WotC) content? What about writers you worked on the same books KB worked on? How do you separate why they did and what KB did? Did other writers do a poor job and so they shouldn’t be considered canon?
Its his world, his vision for it is the clearest, so to my mind his opinions carry more weight. You can add other stuff if it works for you of course.

WoTC doesn't care about those who actually fork out the money for content. Hence the drive to make it impossible to go anywhere else ( it since then blowing up in their face and then trying to pass it off as a 1000 different things other than what it was. And yes, they DO try to spin stuff in this fashion at an increasingly alarming rate.) As you said DMs buy the bulk of the content and those are exactly the people who care about this stuff. Im not at the point of purging them from by library but as i said I'm not giving them another cent. I'm in the final legs of the last 5e table that I'm going to run for the foreseeable future as well.

As for other settings being received well.... There is a reason all the top selling books in the GM guild are from a single setting.

Remove ads

Remove ads