Ken Hite Is Lead Designer of VAMPIRE 5th EDITION!

A few days behind the news curve on this one - apologies! Veteran game designer Kenneth Hite, author of Trail of Cthulhu and Night's Black Agents, has been revealed as the lead designer on Vampire: The Masquerade 5th Edition. Hite announced it via social media, following a live announcement at a World of Darkness event in Berlin -- "Now it can be revealed: I am the Lead Designer for VAMPIRE: THE MASQUERADE 5th Edition. Some pretty big Doc Martens to fill." There's not a lot more info available yet, but I'll report it as I hear it.

A few days behind the news curve on this one - apologies! Veteran game designer Kenneth Hite, author of Trail of Cthulhu and Night's Black Agents, has been revealed as the lead designer on Vampire: The Masquerade 5th Edition. Hite announced it via social media, following a live announcement at a World of Darkness event in Berlin -- "Now it can be revealed: I am the Lead Designer for VAMPIRE: THE MASQUERADE 5th Edition. Some pretty big Doc Martens to fill." There's not a lot more info available yet, but I'll report it as I hear it.

He made a few other comments on social media:

Lore: "It's still in the World of Darkness but it's very much about the 21st century. Our goal is to make it a (dark and horrific) great on-ramp."

More on lore changes: "Mostly timeline advancement but everything you ever read in V:tM was already explicitly from an unreliable narrator."

Mechanics: "Still uses d10s but not Storyteller. So far."

Other World of Darkness games: "I'm only doing VAMPIRE. Other games are other games by other designers."

On Pelgrane Press: "I won't have a lot of time for Pelgrane work in the near future."

On vampires: Hite once said "If it were up to me, nobody would ever get to play the good vampire again in any medium. It is, sadly, not up to me." When somebody rather aggressively asked about this in the context of this news, he replied that "Vampires are monsters, but in V:tM the possibility of moral redemption is not entirely remote."

Ep5RsHud.jpg

Jhaelen

First Post
On vampires: Hite once said "If it were up to me, nobody would ever get to play the good vampire again in any medium. It is, sadly, not up to me." When somebody rather aggressively asked about this in the context of this news, he replied that "Vampires are monsters, but in V:tM the possibility of moral redemption is not entirely remote."

This is so dumb, the struggle of a good vampire with the beast or the tainted world around it is so fun to play. I do agree that a good vampire is not the norm though.
Speak for yourself.
Although, considering the Vampire players I got to know in the past, you aren't alone with that opinion.

Personally, I'm really glad to hear about Mr. Hite's stance on this and fully support it. I've always felt that the majority of Vampire players just don't 'get' what the game's supposed to be about. They were just interested in playing Vampires because they got cool powers and tried everything to ignore the downsides.
But this wasn't (isn't?) just a problem with Vampire; it was(is?) just the same with Werewolf players. Which is a shame, because the setting offers so much more beside slaying Wyrm beasts.

It's even a known phenomena in D&D: Just consider Driz'zt, the world-famous goody-good dark elf and the billions of clones he spawned...

I have seen players that have no idea what personal horror means, and thinks vampires are superheros...(my favorite example was a player who didn't get why you should ever frenzy since he never saw a vampire loose control)

I have seen players who want to play up the 'I have become a monster'

I have seen something inbetween that plays more like a D&D game full of evil PCs...

I have seen LARPS that have all 3 types and everything in between.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads