Kenku scholar

Falchieyan

First Post
Well, it took me longer than I thought it would to be able to get around to finishing this little guy up.

Wolv0rine: When you first mentioned the depiction being off, I thought that it might have something to do with a difference of source. My introduction to D&D was 3.0, and while I knew that MM3 had a lot of classic creatures in updated forms, I haven't ever been familiar with the earlier versions.

Anyhow, I did tweak a few things and tighten up some details in order to bring this little project closer to completeness:

HrogerB.jpg

Thanks again for the suggestions. I don't think that he's going to see play any time soon, but I'll always have him around in my big pool of characters for a future campaign.

Ilium

First Post
Looks great. Nice work. If I had Kenku in my campaign, I'd definitely use this guy as an employer for the PCs. "It's just a trifle, really, but I'm a bit too busy to go after it myself right now..." :)

Wolv0rine

First Post
Ilium said:
Looks great. Nice work. If I had Kenku in my campaign, I'd definitely use this guy as an employer for the PCs. "It's just a trifle, really, but I'm a bit too busy to go after it myself right now..." :)
To which any PC with an INT over 8 should rightly think "Ah-yeah, and the last time you went after something in a dungeon was... ohh... never, ya feather-stuffed scholar." heheh

So now how about his faithful butler, Falchieyan? An armchair-scholar like this has to have someone who actually knows WHERE that book on northern pygmie ogres is, and when to bring tea and tobacco for the pipe, right? :D

Ilium

First Post
Oh, I don't think our Kenku friend is an armchair scholar. Look at his duds. This is an Indiana Jones-type bird. This is a avian who's been there, done that, and published a monograph on the subject. Do NOT cross the bird. ;)

Pbartender

First Post
Ilium said:
But I have to say something geeky and pedantic: How does somebody without lips smoke a pipe? :D

He shoves it up his nostril.

:D

Falchieyan said:
I actually had an amusing story in-character about how he could never find a pair of glasses that stayed on, finally opting to procure a bit of sovereign glue to keep them on. As a result he always carries around a couple of flasks of Universal Solvent, just in case he does for some reason have to remove them(with a Ring of Sustenance, sleeping isn't a big problem).

This reminds me...

Another option would be to have the glasses screwed into a small mount that's rivetted, pierced or glued into his beak. Like so.

Last edited:

Falchieyan

First Post
My ideas for him as a character had him as more of a hands-on type learner. He would go out of his way to get at hidden texts, and would rather spend time studying in ruins than in a library. But if you like the concept itself, I'm sure he can be adapted to just about anything.

I have plenty of others ideas for characters that need to be drawn. Is it better to post character renderings here or in Rogues Gallery?

Remove ads