• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kenku scholar

Falchieyan

First Post
Well, it took me longer than I thought it would to be able to get around to finishing this little guy up.

Wolv0rine: When you first mentioned the depiction being off, I thought that it might have something to do with a difference of source. My introduction to D&D was 3.0, and while I knew that MM3 had a lot of classic creatures in updated forms, I haven't ever been familiar with the earlier versions.

Anyhow, I did tweak a few things and tighten up some details in order to bring this little project closer to completeness:

HrogerB.jpg

Thanks again for the suggestions. I don't think that he's going to see play any time soon, but I'll always have him around in my big pool of characters for a future campaign.

Ilium

First Post
Looks great. Nice work. If I had Kenku in my campaign, I'd definitely use this guy as an employer for the PCs. "It's just a trifle, really, but I'm a bit too busy to go after it myself right now..." :)

Wolv0rine

First Post
Ilium said:
Looks great. Nice work. If I had Kenku in my campaign, I'd definitely use this guy as an employer for the PCs. "It's just a trifle, really, but I'm a bit too busy to go after it myself right now..." :)
To which any PC with an INT over 8 should rightly think "Ah-yeah, and the last time you went after something in a dungeon was... ohh... never, ya feather-stuffed scholar." heheh

So now how about his faithful butler, Falchieyan? An armchair-scholar like this has to have someone who actually knows WHERE that book on northern pygmie ogres is, and when to bring tea and tobacco for the pipe, right? :D

Ilium

First Post
Oh, I don't think our Kenku friend is an armchair scholar. Look at his duds. This is an Indiana Jones-type bird. This is a avian who's been there, done that, and published a monograph on the subject. Do NOT cross the bird. ;)

Pbartender

First Post
Ilium said:
But I have to say something geeky and pedantic: How does somebody without lips smoke a pipe? :D

He shoves it up his nostril.

:D

Falchieyan said:
I actually had an amusing story in-character about how he could never find a pair of glasses that stayed on, finally opting to procure a bit of sovereign glue to keep them on. As a result he always carries around a couple of flasks of Universal Solvent, just in case he does for some reason have to remove them(with a Ring of Sustenance, sleeping isn't a big problem).

This reminds me...

Another option would be to have the glasses screwed into a small mount that's rivetted, pierced or glued into his beak. Like so.

Last edited:

Falchieyan

First Post
My ideas for him as a character had him as more of a hands-on type learner. He would go out of his way to get at hidden texts, and would rather spend time studying in ruins than in a library. But if you like the concept itself, I'm sure he can be adapted to just about anything.

I have plenty of others ideas for characters that need to be drawn. Is it better to post character renderings here or in Rogues Gallery?

Remove ads