• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Kensei Monk - how was it for you?

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
I think there is a thematic problem with being forced to use unarmed strikes, when Kensei is more about using weapons.

As a matter of fact, I have the same thematic problem with the Monk in general, because I do not like the idea that characters are fine with touching monsters with bare hands even when hitting them.

OTOH I wouldn't want to touch the RAW, so what I would do is use all the statistics of the unarmed strike (lower damage, no magic effects, etc.) but narrate it as a weapon attack.
I agree no sane person would be punching a gelatinous cube or green slime, but martial arts RAW isn't just punching. It can also be kicking, knees, elbows, etc. You could also stretch a bit and say you are kicking a rock at their head or using the environment in some way to hurt the monster. The magical damage issue goes away at 6th level when martial arts damage becomes magical itself.

But yes, I refluffed my martial arts attacks as narratively hitting the monsters with the hilt or flat of the sword instead of the slicing edge rather than a punch along with two sword swings as that makes way more thematic sense for a weapon focused martial artist.

I do think the requirement to make a MA attack to get the bonus was odd for the weapon focused subclass.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
I DM'd for a Kensei monk (sea elf) up to level 8 or 9 or so. It was fine. They do a bit more damage than a regular monk (which is good, since monk's damage is lackluster to begin with). This PC picked a whip and a longbow as weapons, which was a neat combo, and used the +1d4 ranged damage often, but rarely did the +martial arts damage. Instead, it's better to save the ki points for flurry and/or stunning strike. He only used Agile Parry when he was trying to draw aggro, which was not very often.

G

Guest 6801328

I'm loving my Kensai. (Or, I was, until we suspended in-person gatherings and started a new campaign on roll20.)

I know the white room theorycrafters think it's not the absolute best class/subclass combination, but it works perfectly with my concept. First, she's not a "monk" she's a "swordswoman". Her master is one of the last practitioners of an armor-less fighting style that was used by an elite group of warrior-diplomat-philosophers of a now-vanished kingdom (imagine the Roman empire, as seen from people in the early middle ages). As a novice she hadn't earned the right to use a real sword, so she used a wooden one (i.e., quarterstaff). Not until 3rd level did she prove herself worthy.

And while, sure, the Ki points aren't overflowing, monk abilities are just fun. I love describing (disdainfully) batting away an arrow with my sword. Or pulling off acrobatic stunts with Step of the Wind.

So, yeah, Kensai is lots of fun.

Remove ads