Key Bank says Heart Surgery equals no more House

Due to radiation scarring on my heart from having Cancer 17 years ago I had to have a surprise Double Heart By-pass. I struggled and fought to get back to work quickly. I got back but was informed by my bank I was TWO days short of payment so they are proceeding with repossessing my house.

I am scared

My fear the lose of my family

I fear living out of a car just in time for a Vermont Winter.

What options do I have?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Two days seems a rather short grace period for a house repo with no recourse- check with a lawyer in your state. Since clearly money is tight, try contacting the state bar- one of the law schools near you may have a free law clinic.

Janx

Hero
I vaguely recall from NPR articles about the home loan crisis, that there's regulations on how fast they can repo a home.

Seems like working that angle (google up articles) might lead to something.

As Danny says, there's free lawyer clinics (law schools seem to host them).

Good luck, it sounds like you've had a rough hand dealt.

You might also try the Media. Air time talking about how a bank is hosing a cancer survivor and open heart surgery survivor just as he gets back on his feat is going to get a change.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'm not familiar with the laws of your country, but it seems very unlikely to me that it can be legal to repossess a house based on a one-off two day late mortgage payment. These things usually take months of defaulting. Definitely seek a lawyer; it sounds very much like they are breaking some laws.

That said, it may be perfectly legal where you are. It's certainly a horrendous contract, if so!

Took me a while but I got some help from the State.

The current time period is a grey area. They can't legally do anything to me BUT they can make it that I reach the beginning of the time frame where their lawyers take over. How? By refusing payments.

This is a common tactic apparently. State says it good I spoke to regularly and that I have a clear hardship case but there is little that can done. I have two options CURRENTLY. Pay them or throw myself at their lawyers. Once at that stage there are many legal recourses I can do.

Best advice they gave me- CALM down. Having a heartattack so soon after surgery will not help me.

Oh by the way- the medical collectors are now calling regularly. :)

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The worst thing you can do is stop talking to your creditors completely. Try bargaining with them- offer to negotiate some kind of payment schedule. Even if you think it would sound ridiculous to them, they may go for it because they want payment.

You may also suggest taking the case to mediation. It's the same hourly rate as traditional court action, but is much faster, and thus, cheaper.

Don't forget that while collectors can call, they cannot harass. It is a fine legal distinction, but an important one.

biotech66

Explorer
Check with the Jack Vassel Fun to see if they can help. They give money to gamers who are hit hard by medical bills. You see to fit that bill. http://www.jackvasel.org/apply

Also, crowd source man! Gamers will throw money behind an indigogo campaign to raise money for those in the community.

Janx

Hero
On the medical side, I've heard that if you send them a small dose of money every month (even a buck), that satisfies their billing department. Note, that pattern allegedly is for direct bills from the medical place, not a bill collector who has purchased your debt from the provider.
PS. that' ain't legal advice. You mileage will definitely vary. Do not try at home.

I don't mean to cast doubt on your story, but the bill collector issues seem like some chunks have been left out for brevity. I would say normally, it takes a few months of missing payments (at least one late payment) before a debtor gets a call from anybody (orginal debt or sold to debt collector).

Is it more precise to assume, that while you were down from surgery, you've missed some payments, and having just gotten back to work, they've started nagging you before you got your first new paycheck?

This, would make more sense on why you missed payments (can't work) and why they're getting hostile (it's been awhile since they got money).

Otherwise, the original explanation read like you are a mere 3 days late on the mortgage and they want to evict you.

In any event, I do hope things get better for you

Dog Moon

Adventurer
Yeah, I hope everything goes well for you. I know for me one time my bank was starting to get interested in taking my house, but that was after I had missed two payments and was close to my third payment due date...

Fortunately I was able to catch back up to only being one month behind but then I talked to my bank and they worked with me, giving me a one year loan to bring me back up to current [a $1000 loan with basically a $20 interest fee to be caught up on my mortgage was totally worth it] and the best part is that they removed all of my late fees that I had been accumulating, which was definitely starting to add up!

But I hope everything goes well, you can talk to your bank and get everything figured out for you and your family.

I don't mean to cast doubt on your story, but the bill collector issues seem like some chunks have been left out for brevity. I would say normally, it takes a few months of missing payments (at least one late payment) before a debtor gets a call from anybody (orginal debt or sold to debt collector).

Is it more precise to assume, that while you were down from surgery, you've missed some payments, and having just gotten back to work, they've started nagging you before you got your first new paycheck?

This, would make more sense on why you missed payments (can't work) and why they're getting hostile (it's been awhile since they got money).

Otherwise, the original explanation read like you are a mere 3 days late on the mortgage and they want to evict you.

In any event, I do hope things get better for you

Basically. What little aid I got from the company's out of work group was very little and to maintain my medical coverage I had to pay my place of work regularly. It came to a full third what I was getting for aid. So with less than 700 dollars a month I was expected to pay for morgage (1100), car (210) two small credit card bills (total 50) and the annoyin g things called food and gas...... you get the picture.

Things may be getting even worse as I was out of work for so long, my job is no longer "protected" so they are talking about a fire/rehire so that I take a near 6 dollar an hour paycut.

Shot me now.

Remove ads