KidCthulhu's Scarred Land story hour

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
It's back! Written by the players, edited and annotated by me. These might not be posted exactly in order, but I'll edit and rearrange as necessary once my players start posting them. Many of these are on a PC with a dead modem and floppy drive, so it may be a bit before we post them; others are finished now. The campaign has eight players, five of which are new to the game, seven of which are women; none of the experienced players have leadership roles. It's a great game!
  • Episode 1: we swap an existing campaign into the Scarred Lands. Titanspawn hunting near Amalthea, shooting druids in a barrel, and an unexpected meeting with a man of many faces.
  • Episode 2: Marja has her face stolen, problems in the basement, and an old forgotten temple reveals fresh trouble.
  • Episode 3: Stalking the face-stealer and the aasathi, and learning not to dream of maggots.
  • Episode 4: An inn under new management, clues carefully followed, and an ambush of snakes.
  • Episode 5: Questioning the serpents, untying a wolf, and bearding a Lord in his lair.
  • Episode 6: How not to bluff your way with royalty, goblins in the night, and Xennia teaches Lord Dobrick a regrettable lesson.
  • Episode 7: Arrest, incarceration, escape, and flight, all in a quest for exoneration. Borin can't hit, Xennia can't run, Deke climbs trees, and death stalks the party on metallic panther legs.
  • Episode 8: Bounty hunter fandango, the contemplative ogre, and the appreciative halfling. Sir Naxos and Xennia don't hit it off.
  • Episode 9: Ogre and dire wolves meet their match, while tentacled relics of the past teach Deke a lesson. Drinking the glowing water, and the heroism of Sir Naxos.
  • Episode 10: Treasure bath, goblin guts, and enthusiastic trolls.
  • Episode 11: The elves bow to Gemma, village in a footprint, and arrival at Ontenazu.
  • Episode 12: Bar fight in Morgain's home, destroying the wanted posters, and an abundance of summoned stirges. Tattoos and a popular young lady, and the exiled noble cleric who knows too much.
  • Episode 13: The hunting cottage of Duke Windhill, spider-things meet the fluid-filled heroes, and love letters beneath the webs.

They'll start appearing soon; watch for them!

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
The campaign started because one of my regular players' fiancees wanted to learn how to game. It's blossomed from there. All PCs are 3rd-4th level.

Fast character portraits, 'cause you can't tell the players without a program.

• Deke: irresponsible elven rogue, orphanage raised and spiralling towards neutrality. (Played by Jobu)

Gemma: scarred and bitter from the war that scoured Amalthea, this laconic elven huntress is slowly discovering the Goddess Tanil. (played by KidCthulhu)

Morgain: Scatterbrained but well intentioned, this half-elven wizard is learning to adjust after her Grandmother's death.

Marja: Beautiful and vivacious, quick with a laugh and fond of drink. She brims with the power of the sorcerer.

Borin: Dwarven, violent, and focusing his beserker rage into the end of his greataxe.

Kalina: Half-elven druid, a friend of Marja's with a large and loyal wolf.

Xennia: enamored with her spiked plate armor, intolerant of arrogance and full of joy at the art of war. She's hell at whacking.

Kell: forced into the church of Corean by his parents, but longing for the life of a fighter.

Feargus: this halfling bard plays the bagpipes - poorly - and once transported supplies for the Calastian army. He's left that life, though, and may be retiring from adventuring as well. (An original player, sadly he's no longer active in the group as he's about to move.)

Last edited:

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Mmm you know maybe Kell might feel better if a cleric of Vangal approached him into "converting" to find his inner fighter. ;)

Doc_Souark

Explorer
Talked about Hen Pecked !

So Borin is the lone male Player/Pc huh, I bet the non-game conversations going at the table alone were priceless :D (no KidC/ PC please don't misunderstand I have or rather had at one time 3 female players so I'm not knocking lady players at all).

Which PCs were run by the "old hands" and the newbies ?

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Doc_Souark said:
So Borin is the lone male Player/Pc.... Which PCs were run by the "old hands" and the newbies ?

There are several male PCs (Kell, Borin, Deke, Feargus) but Borin's is played by the only male player. Feargus was as well, but we're retiring the PC with honors when his player moves next month. Deke, Gemma, Borin and Feargus are played by long-time players.

Last edited:

KidCthulhu

First Post
I'm enjoying playing Gemma. It's fun to let my dark side through, after years of Ernie the chipper halfling in Sagiro's game.

That said, laconic is just as much a role playing stretch for me as chipper. I'm constantly biting my tongue to keep from making extraneous comments. I really should set up a budget of 30 words a game and see if I can keep to it.

The new player are really what makes this game. It's so much fun to see them try new things and discover the joys of bending the rules to their will. They try things that we older, er more experienced, players wouldn't think of doing! And more often than not, their ideas are great. They think outside the box, and the game is better for it.

Morgaine

First Post
Re: Piratecat's Scarred Land story hour

Piratecat said:
It's back! Written by the players, edited and annotated by me.

They'll start appearing soon; watch for them!

I have a few episodes written but I am hesitant to post them until I can get them in order, which I still don't have yet. They will be here near the end of the week, though.

KidCthulhu

First Post
Jobu posting under Kid C Sorry about that

KidCthulhu said:
I'm enjoying playing Gemma. It's fun to let my dark side through, after years of Ernie the chipper halfling in Sagiro's game.

The new player are really what makes this game. It's so much fun to see them try new things and discover the joys of bending the rules to their will. They try things that we older, er more experienced, players wouldn't think of doing! And more often than not, their ideas are great. They think outside the box, and the game is better for it.

I agree with KidC on this one. There is nothing quite as wonderful as watching a new player run thier 2nd level fighter right into a Gelatinous Cube (they lived too).
Also I am finding playing Deke (rouge) to be a very freeing experiece. After years of playing Tao (PC's other game) and Luc (Aasimar Guvner in Sigil) in a game run by Tom Tom's (also PC's other game) player it is a nice change to play chaos as well as neutrality.

Last edited:

Remove ads