Kill the PCs! Kill them! Kill them! Kiiiiiiil Theeeeeeeem!

In my continuing quest to find and post to long dead threads, I present this post.

If you like flying ships in your game (and who doesn't) a fight between PCs on the Ship and an aerial creature (like said Dragons) can be really interesting. The dragon can snatch PCs off the boat and drop them, attack at long rang with spells and breath weapons, or the dragon can simply sink the boat sending the PCs falling to their collective dooms.

Likewise, have flying opponents attack PCs while they are climbing (a rope, mountain, anything high will do). Cliffs, ledges, flying things, and long drops make for some interesting combats.

Melan

Explorer
Take a submerged passage the pcs have to navigate. It is rather dark in there, even with magical light. In a syphon, there is a huge, very transparent gelatinous cube. Ouch!

Thirsty

First Post
A well prepared vamp

A vampire who's had a few years lurking uderground is going to have set things up if he/she is smart. Put lots of 6 inch holes (careful use of disintegrate / stone shape / rock to mud type spells) all connecting a secret coffin room. That way the vamp can sneak up on the PC's, whack them a few times and then retreat. If it gets really bad and the PC's manage to kill your poor defenseless vamp it just floats down one of the holes and returns to its coffin.

spunky_mutters

First Post
- Travelling through a swamp, players encounter trolls. Of course there's also plenty of swamp gas, so fireballs might not make the party happy.

- Cover is the most important. I had one TPK where the party was taken down by a few goblins because they couldn't get to them, and they were too stupid to retreat. The goblins were firing shortbows from a couple of pillboxes that guarded the entrance to an old Dwarven mine they were inhabiting. Keep it simple.

- What's good for the goose... have intelligent monsters spend their treasure on magic items that they're going to use against intruders. Tanglefoot bags, stuff like that.

Remove ads