• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Killed lately?

Rystil Arden

First Post
One of the characters in my main campaign dies so often thanks to picking a race with ECL that he selected the Explosive Death feat, and has made surprisingly good use of it (one time he attacked and killed himself [apparently you can do this according to the Psionic power Death Urge] to kill the nearly-dead enemy before it could slaughter the others).

Yeoman

First Post
In my last group, I think someone died on average every other session. Mostly just bad luck, although stupidity took a toll on a few. :)

Rystil Arden

First Post
Yeoman said:
In my last group, I think someone died on average every other session. Mostly just bad luck, although stupidity took a toll on a few. :)
Repeated stupidity happens a surprising number of times. Like the 3rd-level PCs that had to retreat from the same encounter with 8 basic goblins in the same room twice [retreat, go back to town to heal, return, retreat, go back to town to heal...], even though they fully knew what to expect (they hadn't even cast hour/level buffs before entering the goblins' cave :( ).

loki44

Explorer
Rystil Arden said:
One of the characters in my main campaign dies so often thanks to picking a race with ECL that he selected the Explosive Death feat.

Sounds like you've got some players with suicidal tendencies, or with martyr complexes.

loki44

Explorer
Yeoman said:

OK, maybe I need to revisit my theory. Stupidity knows no edition bounds.

Rystil Arden

First Post
loki44 said:
Sounds like you've got some players with suicidal tendencies, or with martyr complexes.
No, the player of the Azer didn't plan on this occurring, but he admitted the pattern after dying 12 fights in a row and just took the feat. Recently, now that he has made it to high level and his ECL hurts less, he hasn't been killed by the enemy for many many fights, although the reckless party archmage has killed him multiple times. One time, they were attacking a monster that had a 20% to redirect any Ray effect at a random target. When I mentioned this after the archmage shot out a suped-up Polar Ray, the azer's player just anounced "Don't bother rolling. I'm dead." I told him it was only a 20% chance to redirect, then a 10% chance to redirect to him, then a 50% miss chance for Cloak of Displacement, and the ranged touch attack only had a 75% chance to hit. But it didn't matter...somehow the Polar Ray did indeed hit the Azer.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I'd have to say that 3e is more lethal; mainly because monsters do so much more damage, there isn't much of a difference between "badly wounded" and "very dead".

(Jonathan Tweet mentions that phenonomen here)

I've killed far more PCs under 3e rules than I did under 1e or 2e. It's mainly a DM style thing.

Cheers!

Agamon

Adventurer
I've killed one PC per session with Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil since they've entered the Crater Ridge Mines. Two from stupidity, but the other 5 have been bad luck and a deadly adventure.

I sure found lethality increased with 3E over the other editions. It might have something to do with playing style, as well.

Rystil Arden

First Post
MerricB said:
I'd have to say that 3e is more lethal; mainly because monsters do so much more damage, there isn't much of a difference between "badly wounded" and "very dead".

I've killed far more PCs under 3e rules than I did under 1e or 2e. It's mainly a DM style thing.

Cheers!
I agree with that. 10 hit points is not really enough of a buffer. I use the AU dead and dying rules, so they get to go to -Con score before final death, and they still die all the time.

loki44

Explorer
MerricB said:
Cheers!

Thanks for the link. Interesting. I too am starting to think that lethality probably has more to do with the DM than the ruleset.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads