Knight build and (mostly) mount options

bigbaddragon

First Post
Thurbane said:

I have managed to dig out something even better than that: Legendary Horse (Monster Manual 2 page 137 & 138)
Large Animal
HP: 18d8 + 144 (225)
speed: 80 ft
AC: 19
Saves: F 19, R 13, W 13
Abilities: str 29, dex 14, con 27, int 2, wis 15, cha 10
Attacks: 2 hooves +21 melee 2d6+9 and bite +16 melee d6+4

It also has Scent ability and light load is up to 1200 pounds.

Cameron

First Post
bigbaddragon said:
I have managed to dig out something even better than that: Legendary Horse (Monster Manual 2 page 137 & 138)
Large Animal
HP: 18d8 + 144 (225)
speed: 80 ft
AC: 19
Saves: F 19, R 13, W 13
Abilities: str 29, dex 14, con 27, int 2, wis 15, cha 10
Attacks: 2 hooves +21 melee 2d6+9 and bite +16 melee d6+4

It also has Scent ability and light load is up to 1200 pounds.
How are you going to buy one to be your mount?

bigbaddragon

First Post
Cameron said:
How are you going to buy one to be your mount?

Noway probably :(. It is said that they are very rare and that they cannot be tamed but perhaps only befriended by the greatest of heroes bal bla bla etc etc ....and my DM is probably going to stick to it and if he doesn't stick to it he'll probably pretend it doesn't exist. Doh! It is a remarkable animal though.

And it has a CR of 8. I wonder how would my lvl 8 Knight perform in battle against it. Probably very good with Stand Still feat to tip the scales to my side.

Cameron

First Post
bigbaddragon said:
Noway probably :(. It is said that they are very rare and that they cannot be tamed but perhaps only befriended by the greatest of heroes bal bla bla etc etc ....and my DM is probably going to stick to it and if he doesn't stick to it he'll probably pretend it doesn't exist. Doh! It is a remarkable animal though.

And it has a CR of 8. I wonder how would my lvl 8 Knight perform in battle against it. Probably very good with Stand Still feat to tip the scales to my side.
In a stand up fight I think the Knight is gonna be toast. +21 to-hit is nothing to be sneezed at. Three attacks a round compared to your 2, well, even with a slugging match, you won't have the hp the horse's got, so the Knight's charred bread, unfortunately.

bigbaddragon

First Post
Cameron said:
In a stand up fight I think the Knight is gonna be toast. +21 to-hit is nothing to be sneezed at. Three attacks a round compared to your 2, well, even with a slugging match, you won't have the hp the horse's got, so the Knight's charred bread, unfortunately.

True but it can be done. That horse doesn't have reach, so with Combat Reflexes (this is only useful if the horse wins initiative), a reach weapon, strength of 20-22, say +2 weapon (glaive for example) and Stand Still feat you would force the horse make
DC 10 + 1.5*str + 5(or 6) +2 reflex save whenever it tries to approach you or stop in its tracks. With a little investment in power attack the save could pretty much be almost unbeatable by the creature, and when it beats it it only gets to attack you once and then you can make 5 foot step and full attack and it can't make 5 foot step to follow you because of difficult terrain. I guess I'll test this and see what comes out.

Cameron

First Post
bigbaddragon said:
True but it can be done. That horse doesn't have reach, so with Combat Reflexes (this is only useful if the horse wins initiative), a reach weapon, strength of 20-22, say +2 weapon (glaive for example) and Stand Still feat you would force the horse make
DC 10 + 1.5*str + 5(or 6) +2 reflex save whenever it tries to approach you or stop in its tracks. With a little investment in power attack the save could pretty much be almost unbeatable by the creature, and when it beats it it only gets to attack you once and then you can make 5 foot step and full attack and it can't make 5 foot step to follow you because of difficult terrain. I guess I'll test this and see what comes out.
Until you give the horse spring attack or ride-by attack ;)

Besides, its got a Ref save of +13. About even chance of not getting stopped since your Knight's Str really shouldn't be in the 20-22 region at level 8...

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Cameron said:
Read the Centaur entry in the MM. It seems that it is allowed for quadrupeds.

Extrapolating from "A centaur deals double damage with a lance" to "All quadrupeds can use the Ride-By Attack feat as though mounted" is something of a stretch, isn't it?

-Hyp.

Remove ads