• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Knightfall's "Aquatic Creature Fun" Thread (Retired)

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Krishnath said:
No comments on my shark devils? I feel rejected :(

Sorry, I was busy writing stuff for Silverthorne Games this afternoon, which I can't tell you about but I'm sure you'll love once it's released (not for the BoT-Revised but related).

Anyway, I just finished reading your shark devil post. very nice and nasty. Noticed one glaring boo-boo though.

"The beasts tail ends in a nasty stinger that delivers a powerful copper based poison poison." - whoops

Later,

KF72

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Krishnath said:
Fixed. What do you think of the name? I took it from a family of freshwater dwelling stingrays from the amazon river. :D

Potamotrygon?

It's kind of a tongue twister. How do you pronounce it?

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Sea Unicorn
Large Magical Beast
Hit Dice: 4d10+24 (46 hp)
Initiative: +5 (Dex)
Speed: 60 ft., swim 40 ft.
AC: 22 (-1 size, +5 Dex, +8 natural)
Attacks: Horn +9 melee, 2 hooves +7 melee
Damage: Horn 1d8+5, hoof 1d4+2
Face/Reach: 10 ft. / 5 ft. (10 ft. with horn)
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., immunities, magic circle against evil, scent, spell-like abilities
Saves: Fort +10, Ref +9, Will +9
Abilities: Str 20 (+5), Dex 21 (+5), Con 23 (+6), Int 10 (+0), Wis 23 (+6), Cha 24 (+7)
Skills: Animal Empathy +9, Listen +9, Move Silently +7, Spot +9, Survival +9*, Swim +13
Feats: Alertness, Multiattack

Climate/Terrain: Temperate aquatic
Organization: Solitary or pair, or pod (6–11)
Challenge Rating: 4
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always chaotic good
Advancement: 5-8 HD (Large)

An aquatic relative to unicorns, sea unicorns have the front body of a horse including its head, legs, and hooves, while the back part of their bodies are like that of a large fish. The sea unicorn has a long, straight horn protruding from its forehead like that of a narwhale.

Many a fisherman has confused the two creatures when seen from above, as the sea unicorn’s legs are often hidden under the creature when it swims. A sea unicorn also has skin like that of a whale except that it is white and the sea unicorn has no hair.

Merfolk consider it a good omen to spot a pod of sea unicorns, while sea elves and tritons have been known to use sea unicorns as mounts during times of crisis.

Sea unicorns have a home region, which is loosely defined three-dimensional area of water. This home region is often located in the most remote places such as well as pristine coral reefs.

Sea unicorns speak Aquan and Sylvan.

Combat
Sea unicorns prefer to avoid fights when possible but are more then capable than dealing out serious damage with their horn and hooves. They will often protect innocents that are being threatened.

Immunities (Ex): Sea unicorns are immune to all poisons and to charm and hold spells or abilities.

Magic Circle against Evil (Su): This ability continuously duplicates the effects of the spell. The sea unicorn cannot suppress this ability.

Scent (Ex): A sea unicorn can detect approaching enemies, sniff out hidden foes, and track by sense of smell. Range is 30 ft. If upwind, the range increases to 60 ft.; if downwind, it drops to 15 ft.

Spell-Like Abilities: Sea unicorns can detect evil at will as a free action. Once per day a sea unicorn can use teleport without error to move anywhere within its home region. It cannot teleport beyond the region’s boundary, nor back from outside. A sea unicorn can use cure light wounds three times per day and cure moderate wounds once per day, as cast by a 5th-level druid, by touching a wounded creature with its horn. Once per day it can use neutralize poison, as cast by an 8th-level druid, with a touch of its horn.

Skills: *Sea unicorns receive a +3 competence bonus to Survival checks within the boundaries of their home region. A sea unicorn’s Swim speed provides a +8 racial bonus on Swim checks.

Krishnath

First Post
Dammit he beat me to creating a sea unicorn.

PO-TAH-MO-TRY-GON. It's latin or some such.

Nice sea unicorn, saves me the trouble of doing it.

Kitsunekaboom

First Post
Figured I would contribute as well. I think this might like to make snacks of the shark devils. ;) Also really liked the variant dretches.

Holy Devourer (Shark, Large + Kaiju + Half-Celestial)
Colossal Outsider (Aquatic, Good, Kaiju)
Hit Dice: 47d8+611 (822)
Initiative: +6 (+2 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative)
Speed: Swim 60 Ft
AC: 43 (-8 Size, +2 Dex, +39 Natural)
Attacks: Bite +58 Melee
Damage: Bite 4d8+21
Face/Reach: 40Ft. By 80ft/20ft
Special Attacks: Augmented Critical, Battle Frenzy, Swallow Whole
Special Qualities: Damage Reduction 25/+5, Darkvision 120’, Death Throes, Immunities, Keen Scent, Reflect Spells, SR: 27
Saves: Fort: +38, Ref: +29, Will: +18
Abilities: Str:53, Dex:15, Con:37, Int:4, Wis:18, Cha:26
Skills: Concentration: +37, Intimidate +31, Jump +45, Listen +28, Search +28, Spot +28,
Wilderness Lore +27
Feats: Alertness, Blind-Fight, Cleave, Dodge, Great Cleave, Improved Critical (Bite), Improved Initiative, Lightning Reflexes, Power Attack, Quicken Spell-Like Ability, Track
Climate/Terrain: Any Aquatic
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 18
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Neutral Good
Advancement: 8-10 HD (Large)

The Holy Devourer was created by the gods, to destroy coastal civilzations which the gods found lacking any worthwhile trait. The Holy Devourer has been a tool that has stopped many an evil civilzation from trying to destroy the works of the good. First entire ships dissapear, then entire islands, then entire kingdoms.

There is a tribe of sea elves that worship it as a god. Their clerics actually do gain access to spells from the domains of Destruction, Good, and Water. No one is quite sure why the Holy Devourer is able to give clerics power, but no one questions it either.

Currently the Holy Devourer sleeps and dreams, lying in wait for the next foe the gods deem to be destroyed.

It looks like a normal shark bigger than most dragons get. It is pure white, almost shimmering, and it has many slightly grey scars all over from various battles.

Combat

The Holy Devourer bites first, last, and always.

Augmented Critical (Ex): Using its bite attack, the Holy Devourer threatens a critical on a natural attack roll of 15-20, dealing triple damage on a successful critical hit.

Battle Frenzy (Ex): When the Holy Devourer is reduced to 25% of its maximum hit point total it gains a +4 bonus to Strength and can make an additional melee attack with its primary natural attack each round at a –5 penalty. These benefits cease if the kaiju is healed above 25% of its maximum hit point total or is reduced to 0 hit points or less.

Immunities (Ex): The Holy Devourer is immune to Disease, Mind-Influencing Effects, damage from Acid, Cold, and Electricity, and ignores the first 50 points of damage from Fire based sources. In addition it gain a +4 racial bonus to Fortitude saves against poison.

Keen Scent (Ex): The Holy Devourer can notice creatures by scent in a 180 ft. radius and detect blood in the water at ranges of up to a mile.

Reflect Spells (Su): Targeted spells and spell-like effects that fail to penetrate the Holy Devourer’s spell resistance are reflected back upon their casters.

Spell-Like Abilities: At Will- Light 3/day-Protection from evil Holy Aura, 1/day-Bless, Aid, detect evil, cure serious wounds, neutralize poison, holy smite, remove disease, dispel evil, holy word, hallow, symbol, summon monster IX, and Resurrection as a 47th level sorcerer.

Swallow Whole (Ex): The Holy Devourer can try to swallow an opponent of Huge or smaller size by making a successful grapple check. Once swallowed, the opponent takes crushing damage equal to 2d8+19+3d6 Acid damage. A swallowed creature can cut its way out using claws or a light weapon by dealing 50 points of damage to the kaiju’s digestive tract (AC 20). Once the creature exits, the muscular action closes the hole; another swallowed opponent must again cut its own way out.

Trample (Ex): As a standard action during its turn each round, the Holy Devourer can run over an opponent of Gargantuan size or smaller. The Holy Devourer merely has to move over the opponent. The trample deals 4d12. Trampled opponents may attempt attacks of opportunity at a –4 penalty. A Reflex save DC 54 may be made for half damage.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Re: Dammit he beat me to creating a sea unicorn.

Krishnath said:
PO-TAH-MO-TRY-GON. It's latin or some such.

Nice sea unicorn, saves me the trouble of doing it.

Whoa! :eek:

Try saying that 5 times real fast.

And I did feal inspired doing the sea unicorns, although my original intention when I opened up that part of the SRD to cut and past the text to my working document was to do an aquatic templated wyvern.

Anyway, it's 12:43am... time to go and get some sleep. I need to go and see the doctor tomorrow for my ongoing pain issues.

Night all,

Robert B., a.k.a. Knightfall1972

p.s. oww!

Remove ads