• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 Knightfall's "Aquatic Creature Fun" Thread (Retired)

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
The Tarian Dolphins should have more in the way of society since they travel in such large schools. Just my opinion...

Plus you need to fix th Blindsight section as it says: 'Dolphins (and other whales)..'

Krishnath

First Post
What is there to fix? A dolphin is a whale after all...

As for the society, well, they are sociable but that's about it as far as society's concerned. More play, less work and all that... :D

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Heh Heh!

Sea Satyr (Half-Satyr/Half-Anthropomorphic Porpoise)
Medium-Size Fey (Aquatic)
Hit Dice: 2d6+4 (11 hp)
Initiative: +4 (Dex)
Speed: 30 ft,, swim 80 ft.
AC: 18 (+4 Dex, +4 natural)
Attacks: Gore +6 melee; or trident +2 melee; or net +5 ranged
Damage: Gore 1d6; or trident 1d8; or net (special)
Face/Reach:[b/] 5 ft. / 5 ft.
Special Attacks: Pipes
Special Qualities: Immunities, keen vision
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +7, Will +6
Abilities: Str 11 (+0), Dex 19 (+4), Con 15 (+2), Int 13 (+1), Wis 16 (+3), Cha 12 (+1)
Skills: Hide +13, Listen +18*, Move Silently +13, Perform (panpipes, storytelling) +7, Spot +18*, Swim +15
Feats: Alertness (B), Exotic Weapon Proficiency (net) (B), Weapon Finesse (gore)

Climate/Terrain: Any aquatic
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 2 (3 with pipes)
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always chaotic neutral
Advancement: By character class
Level Adjustment: +3

Sea satyrs are strange creatures that have fey blood, as well as porpoise heritage. It is not know if they are naturally occurring race or some sort of magical hybrid. (The latter is more likely.) Whatever the truth may be they are quickly spreading across the oceans of the Prime Material and beyond.

Sea satyrs are humanoid, but odd and monstrous creatures at best. A sea satyr’s head is a strange mixture of satyr and porpoise with tough, curved horns protruding from the top and a large nose. Their arms, legs and torso are like a satyr’s for the most part, although they have no hair, porpoise skin coloration and long, dexterous fingers that are webbed for swimming. Their legs end in two solid feet that are both hoof-like near the base of the ankle and flipper-like stretching out where the arch and toes should be. As a result, sea satyrs can walk and run just fine on land but are fastest in the sea. A sea satyr’s porpoise heritage is most notable by the vestigial fin that sits in the center of its back.

Sea satyrs love to swim with porpoises and other dolphin-like creatures. They are aware of the dolphin race known as the Tarian but the two races hardly ever meet. They are usually on good terms with water nagas, nixies, sea elves, and merfolk. They are always searching for the rare and reclusive water nymphs.

Sea satyrs speak Aquan and Sylvan.

Combat
Sea satyrs never attack creatures and races they meet unless provoked. When fighting in the sea they will harass opponents by swimming around them quickly, while attempting to damage more aggressive opponents with their tridents and trapping others in specially designed weighted nets **. On land they prefer to gore opponents or use their pan pipes.

Immunities (Ex): A sea satyr is immune to pipes played by full-blooded satyrs, as well as other half-satyrs.

Keen Vision (Ex): While sea satyrs lack a porpoise's blindsight, they can see twice as far as a human in low-light conditions and have darkvision up to 60 feet.

Pipes (Su): Sea satyrs can play haunting melodies on a set of panpipes. All creatures within a 60 ft. radius must make a Will save DC: 10 + the sea satyr’s charisma modifier or fall under a charm person, sleep, or fear spell, as a sorcerer of level equal to the sea satyr’s HD.

Skills: Sea satyrs also gain a +2 racial bonus to Hide, Move Silently, and Perform checks. In addition all sea satyrs gain 2 ranks in Perform: panpipes, and storytelling. Sea satyrs gain a +6 racial bonus to Listen and Spot checks. *These bonuses are lost if keen sight is negated. A sea satyr’s swim speed gives it a +8 racial bonus on Swim checks.

** See the Player’s Handbook, Chapter 7: Equipment for details on how to properly use a net. (I’m not sure what the ruling is for using a net underwater. Does anyone know if one of the core books details this somewhere?)

Sea Satyr Characters
Sea satyrs favor the bard class.

Last edited:

Krishnath

First Post
Cute, :p

Slight note: Taria is a continent in my own gamingworld of Areh, therefor Tarian means from Taria, or in the case of the Tarian Dolphin, from the seas around Taria.

I have an aquatic devil I intend to post later... :D

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Krishnath said:
Cute, :p

Slight note: Taria is a continent in my own gamingworld of Areh, therefor Tarian means from Taria, or in the case of the Tarian Dolphin, from the seas around Taria.

I have an aquatic devil I intend to post later... :D

I figured as much but if I decide to use your dolphin race in one of my campaigns then Tarian would have to mean something else entirely, or I'd have to rename them.

I just linked the two for the heck of it; don't read too much into it. :D

Cheers!

KF72

Krishnath

First Post
Well, you can do the following:

My game world (Areh) is filled with portals, both naturally occurring and created, and thus have become a planar nexus of sorts. Most of the natural portals lead to the inner planes and the transitive plane of shadow. One is know to lead to the Far Realms (heavily guarded of course). And one portal built on one of the Hyratrean isles leads to a mountain cave in Thay (of Faerun™). Thus it is quite possible that a permanent (natural or built) portal exists betweem Areh and your world of Kulan. And if such a portal is located underwater, it is possible, and in fact quite likely that some sentient aquatic species, such as the above mentioned dolphins, could have migrated to the other world.

This of course depends on just how much magic your world has, and wether or not your cosmology allows for more than one prime material plane. :D

What do you think? is it plausible?

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Quick and dirty water nymph to go with those sea satyrs!

Nymph, Water
Medium-Size Fey (Aquatic)
Hit Dice: 3d6+3 (13 hp)
Initiative: +3 (Dex)
Speed: 30 ft., swim 40 ft.
AC: 15 (+3 Dex, +2 natural)
Attacks: Dagger +1 melee
Damage: Dagger 1d4
Face/Reach: 5 ft. / 5 ft.
Special Attacks: Blinding beauty, unearthly beauty
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., scent, spell-like abilities
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +9
Abilities: Str 10 (+0), Dex 17 (+3), Con 12 (+1), Int 16 (+3), Wis 19 (+4), Cha 19 (+4)
Skills: Animal Empathy +11, Craft (any one) or Knowledge (any one) +7, Escape Artist +9, Heal +10, Hide +9, Listen +12, Move Silently +9, Sense Motive +10, Spot +12, Swim +8
Feats: Alertness (B), Dodge, Iron Will

Climate/Terrain: Any aquatic
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 7
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Always chaotic good
Advancement: 4-9 HD (Medium-size)

Water nymphs speak Sylvan and Aquan.

Combat

Blinding Beauty (Su): This ability operates continuously, affecting all humanoids within 60 feet of the water nymph. Those who look directly at the water nymph must succeed at a Fortitude save (DC 15) or be blinded permanently as though by the blindness spell. The water nymph can suppress or resume this ability as a free action.

Unearthly Beauty (Su): The water nymph can evoke this ability once every 10 minutes. Those within 30 feet of the water nymph who look directly at it must succeed at a Will save (DC 15) or die.

Scent (Ex): A water nymph can detect approaching enemies, sniff out hidden foes, and track by sense of smell. Range is 30 ft. If upwind, the range increases to 60 ft.; if downwind, it drops to 15 ft.

Spell-Like Abilities: Water nymphs can use dimension door once per day as cast by a 7th-level sorcerer. They can also replicate druid spells as 7th-level casters (save DC 13 + spell level).

Skills: A water nymph’s swim speed gives it a +8 racial bonus on Swim checks.

Sea Velasz
Small Undead
Hit Dice : 1d12 (6 hp)
Initiative : +0
Speed : N/A; see below
AC: N/A; see below
Attacks : Undead grasp +1 melee touch
Damage : Undead grasp 1d4 subdual plus evil eye
Face/Reach : 5 ft. by 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks : Evil eye
Special Qualities : Immunity to damage, incorporeal, insane, improved invisibility, dimension door
Abilities : Str -, Dex -, Con -, Int 1, Wis 2, Cha 2
Skills : -
Feats : -
Climate/Terrain : Any aquatic
Organization : Solitary
Challenge Rating : 3?
Treasure : None
Alignment : Always chaotic evil
Advancement : -
No one knows anything about sea velasz except that they are evil wizards' creations from tormented souls, and that they are totally invisible yet dangerous.
COMBAT
Immunity to Damage (Ex): The only forms of attack that affect a sea velasz in the slightest are Slow (keeping it from using its dimension door for 2 rounds + 1 round / 3 caster levels), Magic Missile (affecting it normally), Power Word Kill (slaying it outright; no saving throw), Dispel Evil (3 points of damage; unable to do anything for 1 round + 1 round/caster level) and Dispel Magic (2 points of damage; unable to do anything for 1 round/caster level).
Insane (Ex): A sea velasz is too mad to have skills or feats.
Improved Invisibility (Sp): The only way to see a sea velasz is a See Invisibility spell (it appears as an otter-shaped mass of water). At the surface, it makes waves (DC 15 Spot to detect.)
Dimension Door (Sp): At will; its only movement.

Remove ads