D&D 3E/3.5 Knightfall's "Aquatic Creature Fun" Thread (Retired)

Krishnath

First Post
Well, this will probably become a very big thread. I think I might add a couple of aquatic creatures to it eventually...

Anyways, I like the sea gargoyle alot, but I don't think you need to increase it's CR.

The steam dwarf is quite interresting, but I don't really know if it is a creature I could use. But in a planescape setting it would fit like a glove. :D

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Dark Water
Huge Ooze (Aquatic)
Hit Dice: 10d10+60 (115 hp)
Initiative: -3 (Dex)
Speed: 20 ft., climb 20 ft., swim 40 ft.
AC: 7 (-2 size, -3 Dex, +2 natural)
Attacks: Slam +8 melee
Damage: Slam 2d6+4 and 2d6 acid
Face/Reach: 15 ft. / 15 ft.
Special Attacks: Acid, improved grab, constrict 2d6+4 and 2d6 acid
Special Qualities: Blindsight, split, ooze, scent
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +0, Will -1
Abilities: Str 17 (+3), Dex 5 (-3), Con 21 (+5), Int – (+0), Wis 3 (-4), Cha 1 (-5)
Skills: Swim +11

Climate/Terrain: Any aquatic
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 8
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 11-15 HD (Huge); 16-30 HD -(Gargantuan)

Dark water is a dangerous, dark-colored ooze that thrives in aquatic environments, especially out at sea. It is known for attacking aquatic creatures and passing ships, engulfing and dissolving them.

Combat
Dark water attacks by first attempting to slam into its opponents, attempts to grapple and then constrict.

Acid (Ex): Dark water secretes a digestive acid that dissolves organic material and metal quickly. Any melee hit deals acid damage. The dark water’s acidic touch deals 50 points of damage per round to wood or metal objects. The opponent’s armor and clothing dissolve and become useless immediately unless they succeed at Reflex saves (DC 19). The acid can dissolve stone, dealing 20 points of damage per round of contact. A metal or wooden weapon that strikes dark water also dissolves immediately unless it succeeds at a Reflex save (DC 19).

Constrict (Ex): Dark water deals automatic slam and acid damage with a successful grapple check. The opponent’s clothing and armor suffer a -4 penalty to Reflex saves against the acid.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, dark water must hit with its slam attack. If it gets a hold, it can constrict.

Scent (Ex): Dark water can detect approaching enemies, sniff out hidden foes, and track by sense of smell. Range is 30 ft. If upstream, the range increases to 60 ft.; if downstream, it drops to 15 ft.

Split (Ex): Weapons deal no damage to dark water. Instead the creature splits into two identical creatures, each with half the original’s hit points (round down). Dark water with only 1 hit point cannot be further split.

Skills: Dark water gains a +8 racial bonus on Swim checks.

Krishnath

First Post
Someone has been watching Pirates of Dark Water again :D

Very good work, let me guess, a Black Pudding with the Aquatic Template?

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Krishnath said:
Someone has been watching Pirates of Dark Water again :D

Very good work, let me guess, a Black Pudding with the Aquatic Template?

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to see that cartoon for years, although it was one of my favorites. And you're right, its a black pudding with the aquatic template.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
The Seven Seas Dragon of Kulan

Ok, I added an additional Special Quality to this creation, damage reduction. I added 1 to the CR for that but I'm thinking maybe the DR should add-on even more, I'm not sure. Opinions?

Also, dragons are less 'aligned' on my world and most are at least partially neutral in alignment.

Cheers!

KF72
----------------------------------------------

The Seven Seas Dragon [7-headed Lernaean Hydra w/ Aquatic and Half-Dragon templates]
Huge Dragon (Aquatic)
Hit Dice: 7d12+49 (94 hp)
Initiative: +3 (Dex)
Speed: 20 ft., swim 40 ft., fly 20 ft. (average)
AC: 21 (-2 size, +3 Dex, +10 natural)
Attacks: 7 bites +15/+10 melee, 2 claws +13 melee
Damage: Bite 2d6+8, claw 2d8+4
Face/Reach: 15 ft. / 10 ft.
Special Attacks: Breath weapon
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 feet., immunities, low-light vision, severed head regrowth, scent, damage reduction 15/chaos, law, good, evil
Saves: Fort +12, Ref +8, Will +3
Abilities: Str 27 (+8), Dex 16 (+3), Con 24 (+7), Int 6 (-2), Wis 12 (+1), Cha 11 (+0)
Skills: Diplomacy +2, Heal +4, Intuit Direction +4, Listen +9, Move Silently +5, Sense Motive +3, Spot +9, Survival +3, Swim +22
Feats: Ability Focus (breath weapon), Combat Reflexes, Multiattack

Climate/Terrain: World of Kulan – any land or aquatic
Organization: Unique
Challenge Rating: 13
Treasure: 1/10 coins; 50% goods; 50% items
Alignment: True neutral
Advancement:

Known only as the seven seas dragon, this unique dragon may be encountered anywhere on the World of Kulan. The creature is a strange hydra-like creature with bronze dragon blood. The creature is old beyond comparison and may have been born before the first human set foot on the shores of Harqual.

The dragon is called the seven seas dragon, not because Kulan has seven seas* but because it has seven heads that each can deliver a powerful bite. Regardless, the name has stuck. The dragon has a huge, sinuous body with a long dragon-like tail and four powerful legs. These legs end in powerful clawed, webbed feet. The dragon also has large wings like a bronze dragon and its skin is covered in scales witch shimmer both blue-silver and bronze in color depending whether the dragon is submerged underwater or flying. The dragon has a ridge-like dorsal fin running down all the way from its neck to its tail. The dragon is 30 feet long from nose to the base of its tail and weighs approximately 30,000 lb. (The dragon’s tail adds another 12 feet onto its length.) The dragon breathes both air and water normally.

The dragon is the servant of Mirella, the Goddess of the Balance, and therefore has the same true neutral alignment as its patron. It only appears when and where Mirella believes the Balance is in danger and many fear the arrival of the seven seas dragon. For when it comes, change will be wrought upon the land (and its people) where it treads. If the dragon is killed, Mirella will bring it back to life.

The seven seas dragon speaks Draconic and Aquan. Despite its limited intelligence the dragon can understand any language but rarely speaks to those it encounters.

Combat
The seven seas dragon can attack with all its heads at no penalty, even if it moves or charges during a round.

The seven seas dragon can only be killed by severing all its heads. To sever a head, an opponent must hit the monster’s neck with a slashing weapon and deal 13 points of damage. (The player says where the attack is aimed just before making the attack roll.) Any excess damage is lost.

However, each time a head is severed, two new heads spring from the stump in 1d4 rounds. The seven seas dragon can never have more than twice its original number of heads at any one time, and any extra heads it gains beyond its original number wither and die within a day.

To prevent a severed head from growing back into two, at least 5 points of fire or acid damage must be dealt to the stump (AC 19) before the new heads appear.

Spells such as disintegrate, finger of death, and slay living kill the seven seas dragon outright if they succeed. If the spell deals damage on a successful save, that damage is directed against one of the dragon’s heads.

Breath Weapon (Su): Line of lightning, 100 feet, once per day, damage 6d6, Reflex half DC 20. The seven seas dragon can use this breath weapon with any of its heads.

Immunities: The seven seas dragon is immune electricity, sleep, and paralysis effects.

Scent (Ex): The seven seas dragon can detect approaching enemies, sniff out hidden foes, and track by sense of smell. Range is 30 ft. If upstream, the range increases to 60 ft.; if downstream, it drops to 15 ft.

Skills: The seven seas dragon receives a +2 racial bonus to Listen and Spot checks, thanks to its multiple heads. Its swim speed provides a +8 racial bonus on Swim checks

Feats: The seven seas dragon’s Combat Reflexes feat allows it to use all its heads for attacks of opportunity each round.

* Kulan has more than seven seas.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Krishnath said:
That is one interresting dragon you got there... :D

Thanks Krish, it just sort of came to me last night. My next plan for an aquatic creature is something twisted with the Ethereal Marauder.

Other Aquatic Ideas!
- Aquatic celestials, devils and demons
- Aquatic animal and dinosaurs variants
- Sea Cloaker
- Sea Gnoll
- Sea Gnome

+ other multi-template aquatic creation

Later,

KF72

Krishnath

First Post
Ethereal Marauders huh, that I have to see. As for the other ideas:

Aquatic Outsiders - There are a few aquatic demons in the fiend folio, but I would love to see more of these.

Aquatic animal and dinosaurs variants - Wanna see my dolphins? Also I'm working on a swarm creature that is aquatic: School of Piranha. Would love to see the stats for the Manta (or Devil) ray, both variaties. giant and common.

Sea Cloaker - This makes sense, the cloaker looks like a ray anyways.

Sea Gnoll - Allready in existance, they're called Sahuagin. :D

Sea Gnome - Why?

Later,

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Damn Construction Crew!

I went and laid down and ten minutes later they started drilling, sawing and jackhammering again. ARRGGGG!!!!

Anyway, I'm going to take my frustration out on this thread... first up the ethereal submarauder!

-------
Ethereal Submarauder
Medium-Size Magical Beast (Aquatic)
Hit Dice: 2d10+2 (13 hp)
Initiative: +7 (+3 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative)
Speed: 40 ft., swim 40 ft.
AC: 16 (+3 Dex, +3 natural)
Attacks: Bite +4 melee
Damage: Bite 1d6+3
Face/Reach: 5 ft. / 5 ft.
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., ethereal jaunt, scent
Saves: Fort +4, Ref +6, Will +2
Abilities: Str 14 (+2), Dex 16 (+30, Con 13 (+1), Int 7 (-2), Wis 14 (+2), Cha 10 (+0)
Skills: Listen +7, Move Silently +8, Spot +7, Swim +10
Feats: Improved Initiative

Climate/Terrain: Any aquatic and underground
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating:[b/] 5
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 3-4 HD (Medium-size); 5-6 HD (Large)

This creature is a variant version of the ethereal marauder. The creature is blue-green in color, with powerful flippers instead of legs and a long sinewy, finned tail. Otherwise, it looks like an ethereal marauder does.

Combat
Once a submarauder locates prey, it shifts to the Material Plane to attack, attempting to catch its victim from behind. The creature bites its victim, then retreats quickly back to the Ethereal Plane. When badly hurt or wounded the submarauder escapes to its home plane rather than continuing to fight.

Ethereal Jaunt (Su): An ethereal submarauder can shift from the Ethereal to the Material Plane as a free action, and shift back again as a move-equivalent action (or as part of a move-equivalent action). The ability is otherwise identical with ethereal jaunt cast by a 15th-level sorcerer.

Scent (Ex): An ethereal submarauder can detect approaching enemies, sniff out hidden foes, and track by sense of smell. Range is 30 ft. If upwind, the range increases to 60 ft.; if downwind, it drops to 15 ft.

Skills: The ethereal submarauder’s swim speed provides a +8 racial bonus on Swim checks.

Remove ads