Knightfall's Heroes of Carnell [Kulan] (OOC [Old Thread])

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Your PCs can either head back into Carnell to eat at the local inn or choose to eat whatever food they have on them together as group.

Who has rations? :p

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
In response to whether or not some of the PCs have previously faced harpies and/or rooks, I would say that for the latter, probably not.

Aureus: Aureus' age mean she was born on Maran, not Harqual. (The Transformation that brought her people to Kulan was eight years ago.) The first twelve years of her life was spent in a constant battle for survival. It is very likely she's heard of harpies (but not rooks) and even encountered them before being brought to Kulan. The hutaakan homeland on Harqual is in the high mountains that were also brought from her world. The range is home to a dangerous array of Maran creatures and Harqualian creatures. Harpies aren't usually found in the mountain ranges of Harqual, but I'd say there is a good chance that Maran harpies (which are bigger) might be found in those mountains. She's unlikely to have encountered a Harqualian harpy on her own -- maybe while traveling with Phar.

Phar and Lorien: Harpies aren't a major concern near the Kingdom of the Silver Leaves. Those lands are fairly benign. However, as one travels south, deeper into the Great Forest, monstrous creatures become more of an issue. Still, I doubt either character had encountered a harpy in the forest unless near the ruined lands of Amylinion at the boundary of the eastern half of the forest. Harpies would be common there, as those lands have turned into dangerous marshlands.

Lorien would know lots of stories about harpies, however.

Quinn: It is unlikely he faced harpies in the arena and most of the lands around the Chara Cities are semi-arid. Not good places for harpies. Hmm, I guess rooks would be possible on those shores but the major problems in the region come either from the sea or the desert. There would be harpies living on Thesselgard Island west of the city-states of Sange and Sulinon; however, that large island is dominated more by yuan-ti and even more dangerous creatures.
------------------------

I don't have any additional info for Caerth.

Voda Vosa

First Post
I was going to ask if Quinn had had a chance to fight a harpy in an arena (like the lions and other animals the romans released in the arenas), but I'm guessing that's also a no.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
I was going to ask if Quinn had had a chance to fight a harpy in an arena (like the lions and other animals the romans released in the arenas), but I'm guessing that's also a no.
No. Since harpies fly and are somewhat intelligent, it would be hard to keep them in the arena. There are illegal pit fights in the city-states of the Chara Coast. Fights vs. winged opponents in large cages could exist in such hidden arenas but such matches are brutal and bloody, as well as to the death.

Gladiators who partake in pit fights tend to get an unsavory reputation.

It's possible Quinn watched such a match, incognito. However, if he chose to fight in such a match it would have hurt his reputation amongst mainstream fans who watch in the arenas.

Up to you! :cool:

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
Oh, btw, is there a specific name for the common language, or is it just "common". Is it a pidgin trade language as described in phb, or something else?

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Oh, btw, is there a specific name for the common language, or is it just "common". Is it a pidgin trade language as described in phb, or something else?
The common language of Harqual is usually referred to as Common and is mainly spoken in the northern lands. Harqual is the only place on Kulan where Common is spoken. For this world, it is unique to the continent. I guess if I was to call it something else, it would be Harqualian. Its roots are similar to the language called Barbarian. Both originated out of the traditions of the ancient peoples who first worshiped the North Gods. Common is a form of that old barbaric language that has become civilized while Barbarian stays true to the ancient sounds and forms.

Many other human languages have roots in the Common tongue including but not limited to the following: Anorian (regional language of the Thunder Lands), Denilan (regional language of the Eastern Shores), Maviun (trade tongue of the Eastern Shores), Onan (regional language of the Wild Plains), and Suar (common language of the Far South).

These are the languages closest to Common. Each language has become its own distinct dialect, yet there is some understanding between them. It would not be hard for Lorien to glean roughly 50% of what is said in these other languages. Since he also knows Barbarian, he could understand some of the other barbarian languages of the continent, especially Waracou -- the traditional language of the Northerner barbarians living in the Twilight Valley. Barbarian and Waracou are very similar (75% understanding) but few outside of the Twilight Valley speak Waracou.

Beyond these languages, other human languages that have their roots in Common are as follows: Arkhangelese (spoken by citizens of the Free Lands of Arkhangel), Avionalle (spoken by citizens of the Monarchy of Avion as well as the Aerie Holds), Charan (spoken by the citizens of the cities of the Chara Coast), Freiian (spoken by the citizens of the Island Domain of Frey), and Tiani (spoken by the citizens of Minar).

However, all those languages are now distinct from each other. Some of the constructs are similar but in order to understand those languages, Lorien must speak them.

Anorian, Avionalle, Freiian, Onan, and Tiani all use the same alphabet as Common. Denila has its own alphabet as does Suar. I've added my Harqual Languages document here for your reference. Note that I'm always adding to this document. :D

Attachments

• Harqual Languages.doc
    31.5 KB · Views: 156

Voda Vosa

First Post
So if I choose to have been there witnessing a fight in disguise I get no negative reputation, while at the same time getting some info on their fighting tactics? Not as much as if I was in there fighting the harpies myself I reckon, but still.

Remove ads