• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Knights of the Zodiac [4e](Recruiting, brainstorming)

Voda Vosa

First Post
There is no knight of the monkey in the series, although I could offer at this time one of the three knights I have already done (Andromeda(Leader), Phoenix(Controller), Cygnus(Striker)). If none of this feels like the one you want we can think of anotherone. For example, Pegasus or Unicorn would be rogue or charismatic. Wolf could be rogue as well, or hydra.

rangerjohn

Explorer
What level will we be starting at, method of stat generation, if point buy how many points, and wealth. Could address these issues please Voda? As well could you tell what stat my powers are based on.

Theroc

First Post
What level will we be starting at, method of stat generation, if point buy how many points, and wealth. Could address these issues please Voda? As well could you tell what stat my powers are based on.

You chose Minor Lion, right?

Voda Vosa said:
Minor Lion Knight Class
Role: Striker
Power Source: Divine
Key Abilities: Strength, Constitution, Charisma

The Key Abilities section would be which scores you need. However, I would wait on generating ability scores and the like until you and Voda tweak out the majority of the abilities and features and whatnot, so you don't emphasize a stat you realize doesn't suit the style you wanted. (Since most classes have multiple build-styles)

rangerjohn

Explorer
I realize all those are important, but I was wanting to know for instance what my at wills use as they key attribute. I would probably know if I owned 4th editions Player's Handbook II, for the barbarian but I don't.

Theroc

First Post
I realize all those are important, but I was wanting to know for instance what my at wills use as they key attribute. I would probably know if I owned 4th editions Player's Handbook II, for the barbarian but I don't.

I believe(like most melee classes) that strength will be your most important attribute, but obviously I am not positive. The barbarian's attacks are mostly strength versus AC.

Voda Vosa

First Post
Well, There you have the full classes. As for build choices, you can create your own build options aside from the ones I've suggested. Take in consideration that these Knights are not as flexible as D&D classes. Take a look at the powers and tell me what you think.

Voda Vosa

First Post
WD, I'll need you to pick a constellation for your PC.
Theroc, rangerjohn: You can start to prepare the crunch of your PCs, 25 points buy. You can make up another powers for your characters, but remember to stay into the theme's restrictions. No Athenian knight will be throwing fireballs.
Take a look at the first post for full knight classes!

Bronze Knights;
Pegasus, Dragon, Andromeda, Cygnus, Phoenix, Unicorn, Bear, Wolf, Hydra, Lionet and Chameleon,

Last edited:

Theroc

First Post
Rangerjohn said:
especially what attribute each power uses

Full class write-up is in the first post, including what attributes attacks are keyed off of.

Voda, you said we can make up our own powers, but must stick to the theme. I haven't seen a coherent theme that would limit powers, or anything that says an Athenian Knight would not throw a fireball. How will those unfamiliar with Saint Seiya know where these lines are?

Additionally, why are our attack powers not dealing weapon-based damage? That confuses me. As a melee-class, I expected my weapon-choice to matter. Your layout for powers turns the Dragon-Knight into a spellcaster. Do the Knights in Saint Seiya not fight with weapons? If we do not, and our armor is preselected, it would appear we've little to be spending wealth on. It also confuses me as we will not be able to gain enhancements to attack and damage (nor a proficiency bonus based on weapon choice).

I think a simpler solution, if the case is indeed that the Saint Seiya characters do not utilize weapons, is to keep the mechanics of weapons, and simply treat them as 'unarmed' That way there's no need to worry about equipment as much, as it's more similar to before. Your choice though, if you've already thought that through and have an alternate solution, that's fine too.

A minor question: Wouldn't a 'burst attack' based around a release of power be more of a "Strength vs Fortitude" element? I'm speaking more specifically of the Rozan Dragon's Fury power.

A further question: How will 'race' choices be handled? Are we all assumed to be human for the purposes of this game? Or can we select another class for the mechanics and simply skin them as human?

As for the class features, I will most likely be attempting to create an alternative to the "Dragon's Shield" feature, as if I cannot attack, I cannot encourage an opponent to attack my increased defenses, which... seems a counterintuitive action when I WANT everyone attacking me.

Oh, and does the "Magical Enhancement" come in addition to the number you listed, i.e. 7 AC +1 Magic enhancement, or is it inclusive in the number provided?

Voda Vosa

First Post
Full class write-up is in the first post, including what attributes attacks are keyed off of.

Voda, you said we can make up our own powers, but must stick to the theme. I haven't seen a coherent theme that would limit powers, or anything that says an Athenian Knight would not throw a fireball. How will those unfamiliar with Saint Seiya know where these lines are?

Additionally, why are our attack powers not dealing weapon-based damage? That confuses me. As a melee-class, I expected my weapon-choice to matter. Your layout for powers turns the Dragon-Knight into a spellcaster. Do the Knights in Saint Seiya not fight with weapons? If we do not, and our armor is preselected, it would appear we've little to be spending wealth on. It also confuses me as we will not be able to gain enhancements to attack and damage (nor a proficiency bonus based on weapon choice).

I think a simpler solution, if the case is indeed that the Saint Seiya characters do not utilize weapons, is to keep the mechanics of weapons, and simply treat them as 'unarmed' That way there's no need to worry about equipment as much, as it's more similar to before. Your choice though, if you've already thought that through and have an alternate solution, that's fine too.

A minor question: Wouldn't a 'burst attack' based around a release of power be more of a "Strength vs Fortitude" element? I'm speaking more specifically of the Rozan Dragon's Fury power.

A further question: How will 'race' choices be handled? Are we all assumed to be human for the purposes of this game? Or can we select another class for the mechanics and simply skin them as human?

As for the class features, I will most likely be attempting to create an alternative to the "Dragon's Shield" feature, as if I cannot attack, I cannot encourage an opponent to attack my increased defenses, which... seems a counterintuitive action when I WANT everyone attacking me.

Oh, and does the "Magical Enhancement" come in addition to the number you listed, i.e. 7 AC +1 Magic enhancement, or is it inclusive in the number provided?

For your first question, I'll suggest that you pick up some chapters of Saint Seiya, The lost Canvas, and watched them, there are 6 out I think. I can't explain the feel of the knights of the zodiac more than what I have already told, you know it's hard to do that with these kind of anime. Non the less, you could submit powers to my review.

Your powers are dealing weapon based damage, the only thing is that I already got your class unarmed damage into them. Dragon knight has an unarmed attack of 1d8 with high critics, while Minor Lion has a 1d10.
However your suggestion seems accurate. I'll change that to [W], since I was already planning on boosting your fists damage as you progress level. You can take weapon proficiency feats, considering your fist as weapons.
And yes, KotZ don't use weapons, with a few exceptions, like the Andromeda knight who uses a chain, they fight with punches and kicks. They unleash a special kind of energy, the Cosmos, somehow like a chi energy, that can be taken to different levels, according to each persons power. They use that energy, that they channel from their constellations, to make special attacks, namely, your powers. Each knight manipulates their cosmos differently. The dragon knight often shapes the energy in the form of a dragon, although he is delivering an uppercut, or a kick.
As for wealth, you have none, pick up any traveling gear you feel you need.

A minor reply: Yes, my mistake, editing...
A further reply: All are humans. Yeah, I know, boring. But thats the way it is in the anime.
As for Dragon Shield feature, keep in mind that you can still mark enemies, and that you'll be a fist line combatant. There will be certain situations in which you know that you'll be attacked by a very powerful adversary. Heh, at least you'll survive when your comrades are dead! XD

No, it is not icluded, if I listed 7 +1 that means you have a +8 total bonus to AC

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads