• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Knockdown + Hold the line

brun

First Post
I don't have the books on hand, but I was thinking about it for some time.

Is the combination of knockdown and hold the line the perfect charge-breaking combination?

Basically, what happens if, with the attack of opportunity granted against a charging opponent, you score ennough damage to and make him fall?

Mr Fidgit

First Post
i'd have to say no, not that round. a charge is a full attack action (or full round), and it was the charge that provoked the AoO. he's done 'til next round

brun

First Post
That's what I thought. So the combination really is powerful, especially since my DM has the habbit of making every single ennemy charge at us (or partial charge).

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
Yeah, nice combo. But note that you could just take your HTL AoO as a trip attack. Of course, you run the risk of being counter-tripped...

-z

I would say that he still gets his action that round, but since his charge was disrupted, he would not get the +2 to hit, nor any bonus that apply to the charge, such as Dire Charge. I would say that he retains his -2 AC. Add that to the fact that he is also now prone, and cannot even attempt to get up till next round, and you still have a hell of a combo.

Last edited:

Corlon

First Post
brun said:
I don't have the books on hand, but I was thinking about it for some time.

Is the combination of knockdown and hold the line the perfect charge-breaking combination?

Basically, what happens if, with the attack of opportunity granted against a charging opponent, you score ennough damage to and make him fall?

What is hold the line???

Remove ads