Kobold Press partnering with Mirrorscape

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Kobold Press adventures are coming to Mirrorscape. I recently bought some terrain there, but my main thought remains, it's ridiculously expensive compared to talespire.

This is interesting, though. I thought they were all in on Shard.

aco175

Legend
Begun, the VTT wars have.
Haven't we seen this before. Get Guns N Roses back together again, or again to tell us what is so civil about civil war. Or is this just capitalism at its best.

1701436308236.png

Reynard

Legend
I legitimiately do not understand the appeal of VR or AR tabletop terrain, or honestly 3D VTTs in general. But, then, I have never been interested in Dwarven Forge or other 3D terrain IRL. it just seems like it would be that much harder to improv sessions.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I legitimiately do not understand the appeal of VR or AR tabletop terrain, or honestly 3D VTTs in general. But, then, I have never been interested in Dwarven Forge or other 3D terrain IRL. it just seems like it would be that much harder to improv sessions.
No harder than 2d maps. Sometimes use a set piece, sometimes not.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I can find an appropriate 2D map in about 30 seconds and have it play ready in less than 5 minutes.
which you can do in a 3d tool...just use a 2d map if you need one. Then play with 3d tokens on that map if you want. Like I said, set pieces in 3d, do other things when needed. I do a lot of totm when my players go off the rails.

Reynard

Legend
which you can do in a 3d tool...just use a 2d map if you need one. Then play with 3d tokens on that map if you want. Like I said, set pieces in 3d, do other things when needed. I do a lot of totm when my players go off the rails.
I don't do set pieces because I don't usually pre-determine stuff like that. Besides, switching modes so starkly is jarring.

I also have my doubts about being able to put together a 3D scene as quickly as grabbing a 2D map.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I don't do set pieces because I don't usually pre-determine stuff like that. Besides, switching modes so starkly is jarring.

I also have my doubts about being able to put together a 3D scene as quickly as grabbing a 2D map.
I literally didn't say that last part, did I?

If you don't do set pieces, sure, any tool that would be useful when making a map seems like it isn't your jam, which seems like maybe that's your issue, not 3d. There are hundreds of free 3d maps for Talespire, and nearing that number for Mirrorscape. If you play a well known WotC adventure, it is highly likely there is a map for it on Talespire, and getting there for mirrorscape.

The makers of 3d map tools on Foundry are hiring people to make more pre-made maps.

Given how young most of these tools are, I'd guess we are less than a year from easily grabbing 3d maps. As an example, Brave Alice Games has a funded KS with 101 pre-made 3d maps for their tool going right now.

In any event, we are off topic, and I'll stop now.

Reynard

Legend
I literally didn't say that last part, did I?

If you don't do set pieces, sure, any tool that would be useful when making a map seems like it isn't your jam, which seems like maybe that's your issue, not 3d. There are hundreds of free 3d maps for Talespire, and nearing that number for Mirrorscape. If you play a well known WotC adventure, it is highly likely there is a map for it on Talespire, and getting there for mirrorscape.

The makers of 3d map tools on Foundry are hiring people to make more pre-made maps.

Given how young most of these tools are, I'd guess we are less than a year from easily grabbing 3d maps. As an example, Brave Alice Games has a funded KS with 101 pre-made 3d maps for their tool going right now.

In any event, we are off topic, and I'll stop now.
I did not realize that the pre-made 3D map community was already so strong. That's cool.

I'm not trying to bag on 3D. I just meant I personally do not like it. 2D top down tokens works for me.

What I really wish I had was an easy, reliable whiteboard mode in Fantasy Grounds. Then I really could run on FG the same way I run in person.

Remove ads