Kobold Press partnering with Mirrorscape

kronovan

Adventurer
Last I checked, Talespire didn't support character sheets and Mirrorscape upon release won't either. In comparison to other VTTs, I don't see these 3D digital tabletops as representing a kind of Beta Vs VHS product war, since they lack that fundamental element of TTRPGs. For me, one of the strong appeals of VTTs is their ability to effectively support theater of the mind. The character sheet tools and encounter trackers in the 2 VTTs I use are well designed and alone can be the only tools used during RPG sessions, allowing some encounters to be run without maps. So from a TTRPG perspective, these 3D tabletop apps where the strong draw is 3D terrain, maps and player/NPC figurines, have less appeal for me.

On the other hand, I'm a fan of tabletop miniatures too, frequently playing games like Battletech and Force on Force. I can certainly see where such 3D tabeltop apps could be terrific for online play, via their support for 3D terrain and figurines. They'd have to be better designed than the Tabletop Simulator app I own, which in my experience has game breaking issues arouund moving and manipulating 3D figurines.

I'm kind of surprised Kobold press is partening with such a product developer. But they're a small company with a few staff that're producing some terrific products. So if this working with Mirrorscape gives them some kickback $s, all the power to them.

Last edited:

Remove ads