Kobold Quarterly #7

I can not wait for my books a million to get this.

Really? I would think that a tad unlikely. The subscription works great for me.

Okay, Issue #7. The cover is gorgeous and sexy at the same time. Atypical too for fantasy art. Liked it a lot.

Spells of the Gun? Pretty cool. I think barrier cloth will have some of the same problem as favor of Ilmater from Magic of Faerun. momentary reload made me laugh after all the discussions about how "broken" lock and load (from Ptolus) was. The article was cool, especially the idea about where the spells were found. I will say that wall of powder is a genius spell. That's worth the issue alone!

A Guide to Dwarven Airships had that je ne sais quoi that an article about a race out of its traditional element has. The map is excellent. The article has a lot of good ideas - like the author ran a campaign with airships and filled the gap between the Bastion Press volume coincidentally entitled Airships and the rest of D&D with some good feats, spells and equipment. I like the distinction between Hull Points and hit points better than that volume. Overall, really good stuff.

Oh, a special nod to the Garnet Codex article. Flavorful and fun.

Wisdom Penalty

First Post
Monkey King said:
Can the edition wars be winding down?

I think they have, praise be to the Old One.

I suppose it's just the natural cycle: change happens, people complain about change, change becomes the norm, people find something else to complain about.

You watch. In a year or so, there'll be a huge fracas on here about what 5E should and will look like. ;)

I'm not kidding.

WP

Jack99

Adventurer
Huh. I like Pathfinder very much (thus the official Pathfinder content in the issue), but I also have a 4E Open Design project underway in Wrath of the River King, and I've been playing a fair bit of it. And I'm the author of 4E content in the current issue.

How much 4E do I gotta write to convince you, exactly? 50,000 words? 100,000? :)

Sorry Wolfgang, please do not take it as an attack on you. I have the greatest respect for your work, and I didn't mean that you didn't like 4e per say, more that it seemed you would rather publish (your own magazine) via the OGL, because of the GSL. Am I wrong? I mean, as far as I can see, the two aren't mutually exclusive. You can like 4e and at the same time prefer not to make your magazine 4e, because of the GSL?

Either way, if it isn't true (that you "prefer" 3.x/Pathfinder) then I guess I (and everyone else) should have worked harder to get you to switch, because IMO, you are one of the best out there.

Cheers

sjmiller

Explorer
Either way, if it isn't true (that you "prefer" 3.x/Pathfinder) then I guess I (and everyone else) should have worked harder to get you to switch, because IMO, you are one of the best out there.
TO be honest, I would much rather he stay where he is now. Try as I might, I just can't get enthusiastic about 4e, so I appreciate the 3.x/Pathfinder material that is being produced. As soon as I get started in a new job, I will be renewing my subscription to KQ. Now, if it were to switch to a mostly 4e magazine, that might be a different story.

Aeolius

Adventurer
Without stoking the flames, I will say that I appreciate publications like Kobold Quarterly, Pathfinder, Phoenix Lore, and the lot keeping 3e/3.5e/d20 alive until 4e develops a soul.

I enjoy the combination of PFRPG, 3.5, and 4e crunch, even though, as of late, I primarily play 4th.

Also, a decent amount of fluff exists within the magazine that can be used to inspire and direct any edition.

Remove ads