Kobold Quarterly #7

Monkey King

Explorer
I mean, as far as I can see, the two aren't mutually exclusive.

No worries, I'm happy to publish for any edition, and 4E is getting a reasonable number of requests from readers. So I will continue to publish some 4E material, but the majority is likely to stay 3E/Pathfinder because that's what the requests are for. I suspect that the KQ audience is about half 3E diehards and about half gamers who can use 4E and generic material such as the airship maps, or the rogue material, or the like.

Since the DDI has the Official material covered, KQ will continue to be a bit more experimental in its 4E coverage. If folks have specific requests, please post them in the article request thread.

LurkMonkey

First Post
I personally have no problem with some 4E coverage in KQ, as it has become the main supported gaming platform, and you have to respect that. However I would be greatly disheartened if it ever became a majority of KQ's content. eDragon and eDungeon are now exclusively dedicated to 4E, and it makes me happy that as a 'bitter clinger' to 3.5 I have somewhere to get new material. I enjoy my fierce little magazine supporting the rules system I am loath to set aside. Waiting for the magazine to arrive in the mail is one of my life's little pleasures.

sjmiller

Explorer
Try as I might, I just can't get enthusiastic about 4e, so I appreciate the 3.x/Pathfinder material that is being produced.

Nope... the war is apparently still on. ;)

Well, I know that I did not intend for my comments to bring up something like an edition war. Just so you know, I think that D&D 4e is great, it's just not for me. When Jack99 brought up that people should have tried harder to get Wolfgang to switch to 4e I just felt it would not hurt to mention that not everyone wanted him to switch entirely to 4e.

Heck, I like multiple editions of D&D. I even like multiple game systems, so an edition war is not something I would try to keep going.

While I am thinking of it, I may have just scraped together enough money to renew my KQ subscription. Here's hoping!

Aeolius

Adventurer
I tend to take the whole "edition wars" issue with a grain of salt. It's actually quite amusing, to see how impassioned people become, regarding their edition of choice.

I'm sure 4e is quite excellent, for the masses who enjoy dungeon crawls with core races and classes. In time, I might even take a go at it. I bought the core books the day they came out. Still, with all of the changes that were made between 3e and 4e, it seemed easier to stick with 3e than to house rule in a boatload of retrofitted rules and monsters.

As for multiple editions, I too have been feeling the 1e nostalgia, of late. I have three copies of each of the 1e hardbacks which I have not touched, since I switched my undersea play-by-post from 1e to 3e, shortly after 3e was released.

darjr

I crit!
I had no idea, until I looked back at this thread, that #7 had 4e content.

I think, though, that I don't push for 4e content in KQ as much as I could, cause, well, let it be 3.5. I know and respect folks who are gonna stay 3.5, so I feel a little disheartened trying to push KQ to 4e.

I'm a proud owner of issues 1-4, and soon maybe issue 7.

Remove ads