• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kobold Quarterly

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
I had a subscription for the first 16 issues (and they are on #17 now).

I let it lapse because half the articles are 4E and half Pathfinder.

Since I was essentially paying for half a magazine, it wasn't quite worth it for me (I have a lot of interest in Pathfinder, but no interest in 4E). Obviously Jor-El feels differently, so you now have both sides of the issue. :)

If you are OK with mining the 4E/neutral stuff for ideas/inspiration, then it would be worth it. If you get annoyed anytime you see 4e content in something you paid for, then maybe not so much. :)

The writing quality is certainly good.

Yes the writing was very good but the 4e content started taking up more of the magazine so I pretty much stopped picking it up.

It would bother me less if there had been no 4E supported magazine available at all. But 4E people have the digital Dungeon / Dragon or whatever they're calling it now and Pathfinder / 3.5 people have, well, nothing but the stuff that was in Kobold Quarterly. So seeing more and more 4E material was a deciding factor in me not supporting it anymore.

Didnt complain about it or go on a rant. Just stopped purchasing it around issue #12 or so.

racoffin

First Post
The writing and ideas, regardless of edition, are great IMO. The big plus for me has been the ads, frankly. I missed that with the e-version of the Dragon and Dungeon, and it is nice to see what companies are putting out that I may have missed in the news or various blogs.

^This, quality has increased and now includes some mini adventures for mining. The articles are so cool that I couldn't care less what rules they use. I am also no fan of the slightly towards steampunk standard that is Midgard (the OD campaign setting) but it is good enough to enjoy the reading of the articles even if they have no place in any game I would run. And it is not that much Steampunk.

KQ rocks.

Full Disclosure: I am no where near good enough to have ever written for KQ ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads