• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

KoTS - Kobold Slinger Drops [Possible Spoiler]

hong

WotC's bitch
Kobold slinger drops possible spoiler.
You pick up the possible spoiler.
That spoiler was TAINTED!
You die... [more]

pinbot

First Post
not to be overly persnickety -- but I think 'drops' is from roguelikes--but I'm sure you are right that the inheritance is via mud's by way of mmo's

Mostlyjoe

Explorer
The players (rogue) in my game picked up the slings, crossbows, and every piece of special ammo he could get his hands on. Then used it on the next fight.

FadedC

First Post
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
;)

Or several dozens of Wolves to get a few wolf pelts.. That was the second quest in my short-lived experiment to see if WoW could hold my interest, using a free test account. (Which might have been another example of a self-fulfilling prophecy. I really did hope I would not like WoW. I knew it would become a time sink for me if I would like it.)

Off course, D&D also has these "drops" - All monsters in 3E have a "Treasure" entry that stats stuff like "No", "Standard", "Triple Standard, no Scrolls". Though if you would cut down 12 Kobolds and the DM wouldn't give you 12 kobold tails for it, this either meant
1) Kobolds just don't have tails and someone tricked you into accepting a pointless quest!
2) The DM's need some "reeducation" in form of being pelted with dice. ;)

That's one of the most commonly made fun of things, even by those of us who love the games they are in. Some argue that the reason not every basilisk has a spleen is just because you destroyed it in the process of beating up the basilisk. Ultimately though it's just a gameplay mechanic. They could have told you to collect 30 wolf pelts and given one to every wolf. Instead they tell you collect 15 and give one to every other wolf. Psychologically people like random things and unexpected rewards so they will usually prefer the 2nd scenario.

florastar

First Post
Ah.. Thanks for the input guys. Sorry about the miscommunication on jargon.. too much Cabal Online. I had been ruling that the kobolds have a pouch on them with the special bullets, that were colored and had arcane symbols on them to tell which was which, so I'll continue doing that, but it's good for future reference.

ZetaStriker

First Post
Yeah, it's funny the way games and gambling use some of the same tricks to keep players hooked. There's a reason why MMOs are considered addictive, and it isn't because they're funner than talking with actual people.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
florastar said:
But one thing has been frustrating the players, and has finally gotten to me... Why do the kobold slingers always have the bandolier with the three ceramic globes on them?

Always have a bandolier with three ceramic globes...

...always have three rounds of special shot (p16 2xfire, 1xglue; p27 1xstink, 2xglue etc)

that's your answer!

Cheers

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads