• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

KotS Pregen Copyright.

Lizard said:
Just wondering, does anyone think WOTC is going to go after them if they go down to their local kinkos and run off a few copies for their home game?

I mean, if you're scanning/posting on the net, that's one thing, but I can't see anyone caring about personal use for playing the adventure. Nor am I sure why one would bother asking...

Moot point, since there will be PDFs, but, really, why does this thread exist?
I am agreeing with you twice in the same day... Armageddon is surely just around the corner.

xjermx

First Post
Um, guys?

I am by no means advocating anyone illegally distributing anything, but to the OP:
Why on earth did you call WotC support and ask them if you could photocopy the sheets for your game?

Why not just.... photocopy the sheets and play the game?

Edit - And I'm late to the fray, as this has already been pointed out.

Daelkyr

First Post
This might be helpful to those in need.

As was pointed out by the OP. It is perfectly legal at the current time to type up or write out the sheets. So our friendly neighborhood mindshadow2k did just that. I kit bashed the other three to round out any larger parties and turned it into a pdf. So thanks mindshadow2k and everyone else who pointed out any typos and mistakes.

(The half-elf includes the fix to skills and the suggested Paladin prayer from the KotS FAQ.)

That One Guy

First Post
mearls said:
Hey guys,

We'll have a PDF version of the characters sheets available shortly. And yes, it will be completely legal to print and copy those PDFs.

Sorry!
Thanks!
And I would like to agree with those who request that the errata be corrected.
(Or errataed... whatever boats your float)

Jhaelen

First Post
xjermx said:
Why on earth did you call WotC support and ask them if you could photocopy the sheets for your game?

Why not just.... photocopy the sheets and play the game?
I guess the OP's alignment is Lawful Good :D

Besides: The OPs actions resulted in something extremely good: PDFs of all the Pre-Gens! Hooray!!!

smathis

First Post
mearls said:
Hey guys,

We'll have a PDF version of the characters sheets available shortly. And yes, it will be completely legal to print and copy those PDFs.

Sorry!

:cool:

Thanks, Mike. I have to say that, thus far, you and the team have impressed me with your willingness to listen and (when sensible) act upon our ramblings and rantings.

It's done a lot to make me feel very happy with my decision to come back to D&D with fourth edition. I don't know of many other companies that show this level of consideration for their customer base.

So a big THANK YOU. And, please, keep up the good work.

pawsplay

Hero
pedr said:
Of course what makes this most odd is that making a hand-written copy of a copyrighted work and making an electronic copy are equally infringing, or equally permissible. It is no more legal to get a copy of the PH and write out all the rules into a notebook than it is to take that copy to a photocopier or scanner and reproduce the work that way.

Well, it might just be the arrangment of the sheet that's copyrightable. There might not be enough text or sufficient original work to make the words and numbers either copyrightable, or if they are, for the copying of said text to constitute infringement.

Just sayin'.

Brown Jenkin

First Post
Kaffis said:
Like you've never verbed a noun before. Pshaw!

Can we also noun verbs?

Wait, did I just verb a noun there?

Ahhh, I think I just verbed verb as well.

Arrgghh, I just did it again.

I hope have been cromulent in my use of English here.

Remove ads