• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[KotS] What happens when the goblins start finding bodies?

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
A similar thing happened with my players, I added in an additional encounter, a patrol returning from the wilds which was tasked with checking over the areas recently decimated by the PC's, they set up an ambush for the PCs just outside of the excavation chamber (I used the level 3 Goblin Encounter group from the MM), and utilising the secret door to attempt to get behind the PCs- it was an awesome fight, particularly as Balgrun the Fat and his buddies got involved turning it into a level 5 or 6 (I can't remember which) encounter. It was pretty brutal but the players got through it- just.

I also re-populated the entrance chamber with the Goblins et al from the torture chamber (and a few of Balgrun's), the players (level 2 pre-gens) smashed their way through and cleared the exit- for an hour or so they thought they were stuck down there though, it made for some excellent do-or-die play.

I ruled that Balgrun didn't want to alert the Hobgoblins yet as it would damage his standing, besides he wasn't sure whether the PCs were still in the lair- no one was going down into the Rat/Jelly/Kruthik because they were off limits (deadly to Goblins).

As I say it worked a treat- good luck to you, and your players.

Cheers

bert1000

First Post
Unless the PCs were careless (e.g., left gear behind), I'd go with the suggestion that the other goblins misread the clues and don't know if it is a party of intruders or a monster, etc. They do manage to track the activity to the caverns, however.

Have the PCs overhear noises as a couple sacred goblins (from remaining encounters) led by the torturer are boarding up the entrance to the caverns, and the PCs get a chance to overhear, stop it, ambush them, etc.

Reposition a few goblins as guards in the entrance that flee back to Balgron immediately on seeing the PCs.

Hobgoblins were not alerted b/c they would take it out on Balgron. But since the PCs have been in the keep for 8+ hours, after they defeat Balgron you could have 2 hobgoblins come up from 2nd to 1st level heading to the outside that bump into the PCs as they head to the 2nd level stairs. Keeps it a bit more "living"

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads